GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anatomy of turning

Anterrabae

Banned
NOTICE!!: Im speaking about road courses, NOT public roads. If you decide to practice this shit on a public road STAY IN YOUR LANE...ALWAYS, doesnt matter if its 2am, STAY IN YOUR LANE

So we all know that the fastest way to point B from point A is a straight line driven fast as all get out...but what happens when there are more than a few turns on said line? Granny drive it? Hardly, but you knew that, amirite? The simple concept of "hitting the apex" is held as being the fastest way through the turn. An apex is the inner-most point of the turn and is usually the acceleration point of novice drivers in preparation of 100% throttle on the pending straight away. The "correct" way to approach the apex is being as close to the OUTSIDE of the turn as possible, although there are a few other techniques that yield the same results with different means, one of which i went over in my trail braking thread. Once you reach the turn in point, which is the point (obviously) that you begin turning the steering wheel into the turn, aiming at the apex. The turn in point is different on all turns and is up to the discretion/skill of the driver to find. After hitting the apex, the momentum of the car will take you to the outside of the turn where you can continue on your merry way to point B.

Here is an example of two turns link together as the exit of the first becomes the entrance of the second.

Thats fine and all, but you really didnt use the throttle/brake at all, so lets add that to the equation, shall we?

First off, ANY AND ALL braking/down shifting is to be done BEFORE the turn!!! once you commit to the turn in, never EVER touch the brake. Doing so could cause your wheels to lock up, and you are pretty much a sliding duck after that, so if you are coming in too hot(fast) and start to oversteer, just blip (the action of going on and off the throttle quickly) and adjust the angle of your turn accordingly.

So you brake and/or down shift coming into the turn before the turn in as I said. If you are just picking this sport up your next action would be to get back on the throttle maybe 50-60% through the aped until you get the hang of everything that youre doing or until you learn your car, at which point you can go 100% throttle after braking and adjust it as needed through the turn.

Okay, so you have that somewhat down and you get through that turn so you have time enough to glance in your rearview mirror and marvel and that turn you just blew through, right? Wrong. You are at Laguna Seca and you just went airborn with your MKV on the corkscrew turn. In order to avoid this you want to always be looking at the next turn, allowing you to set up for it upon exit of the turn you are currently on. A good way to make sure that you are doing this is to only use the top half of your windshield. This allows you to overlook the turn you are on and have already correctly set yourself up for and see where you need to put the car to prepare for the next turn.

Be careful and have fun, thats what this sport is about. If i have left something out/got something wrong let me know.

This post is in part to Alf. His knowledge helped me make this post. Without him, nothing is possible. I love him.

Last edited:

72luke

WFO 247
Bravo, and props to the "top half of windsheild" part. I beleive this to be the most overlooked step in proper driving (street or race)Thanks again for the post, very well done.

(of course there is enough data about proper turn-in/braking schemes that this post could have been 20 pgs long but you have made it short and sweet)

Anterrabae

Banned
i found gran turismo "the ultimate driving simulator" to be absolutly useless in learning techniques like this. True is introduces you to them and all of that but joystick racing is for people who cant legally drive a car and drunk college kids.

seat time > any amount of reading/gaming you could do. period

I think the best way to learn how to properly negotiate turns is to actually put it to practice. Find your local autox group and head down there with an open mind. Talk to the seasoned drivers, ride and drive with instructors. Its a lot of fun and you can learn a lot as well.

72luke

WFO 247
I think It was said before, there is no "reset" button once you've got it off into the stones. Men drive cars, kids play video games.

(Some are lucky enough to do both)

Hope things are going ok NoRegrets, Sorry to be harsh to you a while back.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
"acellerate through the apex" vrrroooom, vrroommm.

I love that commercial.

good write up ant

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI
good info..

Like a lot of things, looking ahead is essential.

I did snowboard racing for a very long time and if you're looking 10 feet in front of you, you're screwed. You gotta be looking ahead at least 2 gates always preparing yourself for your next move. Same is with racing. If you're looking at the road 10 feet ahead of you, you can't react fast enough. If you're looking ahead, you have some time to process how you're going to approach that section.:thumbsup:

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
^Funny I used to race on Skiis about 5 years ago now too. It is actually a really good way to get the hand of looking ahead several gates down as well as the surroundings like snow conditions.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI
^Funny I used to race on Skiis about 5 years ago now too. It is actually a really good way to get the hand of looking ahead several gates down as well as the surroundings like snow conditions.

ski/snowboard racers are the best drivers:cool:
it's really night and day when you compare looking ahead 1 gate to looking ahead 2 gates IMO

dtvburns

Tweek
so if you are coming in too hot(fast) and start to over steer, just blip (the action of going on and off the throttle quickly) and adjust the angle of your turn accordingly

Isn't that for rear wheel drive cars? FWD is going to under steer, or push, to the outside of the turn. You need more weight on the front when you under steer, so a little stab at the brake will slow you a little and push down on the front and help save you..... if you have any traction left in the tires. Right? Wrong?

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
you dont blip it you follow through, something he failed to mention.

like ive always said, you use ur disadvantages of understeer to your advantages, use the throttle in the turn and let the understeer push you to the outisde and prepare for the next turn.

YOU DONT BRAKE IN A TURN, YOU DONT COAST IN A TURN.

YOURE ONLY IN CONTROL WHEN YOU ARE BRAKING AND ACCELERATING.

im still pissed at you ant for not giving me props on any of that info. fag.

dtvburns

Tweek
That sounds better. I use power to let the car naturally push to the outside of the turn after the apex.