GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS PRE-DELIVERY MILEAGE A PROBLEM?

mouch

Drag Race Newbie
Hi everyone!

I placed my order for my United Grey GTI yesterday. :biggrin:

But the dealer is very reluctant to assure me that I'll get a car that hasn't been used for test drives.

I don't really subscribe to the "drive it like you stole it" break-in method, and I've seen how the dealers cane the cars on the way out to a test drive. I want to control my own break-in, and make sure it's done gradually.

Am I wrong to be worried about this?

Is it reasonable to expect the dealer to get me one that hasn't been used for test-drives, even if it means waiting? Or am I asking too much? I just don't get why this is a problem for them.

Thanks in advance.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
If it's got an amount of kms on it that indicates it may have been used for test drives (perhaps 50-150kms, depending on how much they've used it), I'd either be paying demo prices or not accepting it at all... Bear in mind that the odometer can be reset back to 0km by VAG-COM once or twice (I forget) up to 100kms. once it goes over a certain amount of kms, it can't be reset. but there's every chance if the dealer is dodgy that they can give a few people quick test drives (probably when it's cold) then reset the odo, and you'll never know...

It's not asking too much for a car that hasn't been thrashed around by someone else...

bilbos

On the Kop
I bought the one that I test drove. Had 129 miles on the clock. Personally I don't see the problem.

Say, they ordered the car for you and then when it was ready for pick-up, they went to the gas station to fill the car up, which was 3 or 4 miles away. They could red-line it there and back and you would be none the wiser.

How much "damage" could you realistically do to the engine in that short a time span.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Mouch,
I was in the same boat....I wanted a car ASAP, but wanted one with NO miles...you can't have your cake and eat it too...My car was driven from Florida up to Georgia, about 350 highway miles. It's very rare that you'll get a car that hasn't been driven for test drives, especially if your particular about color/options etc... U gray is in short supply from what i've heard, and don't expect them to find you a cherry. I've read posts from people who have taken delivery from Germany and have had there DSG drop out in 1 week. I've also seen posts from people who have taken delivery and had stereo/electronic problems. I'm up to 1200 miles now, no problems, and am totally happy. If you want the car, and they find you one with some miles on it...don't worry it will be fine. But it's your money, if you want a brand-spanking-new one...you'll have to wait 3 months.

:headbang:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
yeah, i gotta agree with hotlanta. i really wouldnt be too concerned - you can never tell what kind of miles (however many there are) were put on it. It could have been 20 redlining miles, or 20 put put miles. You never know.

Congrats on the gti order tho!!

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I have a unique situation....

My car was driven by the service manager a couple days a week to and from work 40 miles round trip, on the highway. I actually spoke to him and he gave me his personal assurance that it was broken in properly, and hadn't been used for test drives, and told me to come straight to him if I had any issues.

I bought the car with 867 miles on the odometer. At first this kinda worried me, but other cars on the lot had 500 or so test driven miles. So I didn't have to worry, and I got to drive it home like it had been stolen.

Well, not only did they drop a little extra off the cost, but the real kicker is that they extended the 50k warranty to 51,000 miles, and 40k to 41k etc.

Pretty much thats what I recommend you try to do. If the car has say 500 miles on it, try and get the warranty extended an extra 1000 miles or at least 500 miles. I know its not much, but you never know when a part is gonna take a crap and die on you. Could mean the difference in a couple hundred bucks.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Kirium said:
Bear in mind that the odometer can be reset back to 0km by VAG-COM once or twice (I forget) up to 100kms.
FYI: Dealers cannot legally do this in the States. I can't say for Canada, it might be worth looking into.

Also, again, for the US at least, if you buy a car with mileage on it, such as the example above with the manager driven car, the mileage limitation on the warranty should begin from the time of purchase, meaning that a car with 500 miles on it should be under warranty until 50,500. If you are able to convince the dealer to extend it a bit above that, wonderful (just make sure you get it documented)!

Good luck.

mouch

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks everyone!

I'll see what happens when he calls me with my options. The wait is, I must say, agony!!!

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
bilbos said:
I bought the one that I test drove. Had 129 miles on the clock. Personally I don't see the problem.

Say, they ordered the car for you and then when it was ready for pick-up, they went to the gas station to fill the car up, which was 3 or 4 miles away. They could red-line it there and back and you would be none the wiser.

How much "damage" could you realistically do to the engine in that short a time span.
Hope it wasnt the one I test drove! LOL I think I scared the sales lady shitless.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
i always worry about this. i test drove an 04 GLI at southern states VW in raleigh almost two years ago. at the time, i was looking for a used passat, but the salesmen convinced me to take the GLI for a spin, and i was not going to say no. anyways, to make a long story short, the car literally had 10 miles on the odometer, and this clown of a salesmen rips out of the lot, redlining in 1st and 2nd gear before we pull over so i can start driving...i wouldn't have bought that car even if i was interested in it after that...

tofu

Ready to race!
no way in hella im buying a new car that has more than 10 miles on it.
if the "new" car has ~100 miles, it's fair to say it's been test driven for at least 10 times.
i've seen how the salesmen redline the car out of the lot and how ppl abuse the car in a joyride. it's crazy.

i'd wait.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
tofu said:
no way in hella im buying a new car that has more than 10 miles on it.
if the "new" car has ~100 miles, it's fair to say it's been test driven for at least 10 times.
i've seen how the salesmen redline the car out of the lot and how ppl abuse the car in a joyride. it's crazy.

i'd wait.

ha did you read my last post from earlier today?