GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Play DVD and MP3 in VW MFD2?

joakim

Go Kart Newbie
Hi there!

Some questions.

I've purchased a MFD2 from eBay (haven't received it yet).

Is it possible to play DVD movies and/or MP3 CD's in it? If not, are there some kind of hacks or accessories to do it?

I can't use the navigation DVD if I've a music CD in?

I do have the iPod adabter is it possible to play music from it while I have a DVD navigation disc in?

Are the quality of sound different from the MFD2 and RCD500?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards
Joakim

davesee

FIA GT Champion
if the mfd2 is the oem nav unit that comes in the gti... the drive on the unit is ONLY for a nav map dvd. you cannot play audio through this drive. you need to have the disc changer to do so. The disc changer does not support mp3 playback.

if the rcd500 is the stock head unit in the gti, then the mfd2 is better due to the fact that there is no soft clipping. Although i heard a dealer can somehow fix the soft clipping issues in the stock head unit.

I have heard of some tv tuner adapters that allow you to play video through the display - it was on a post somewhere here. If you do a search on nav video, etc...

joakim

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for your answer. So I would not be able to play Audio CD's in the NAV at all (Without the 6 disc changer)?

How much does the 6 disc changer cost, can I install it by myself? Thanks.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
joakim said:
Thanks for your answer. So I would not be able to play Audio CD's in the NAV at all (Without the 6 disc changer)?

No problem

Thats correct, unfortunately.

I'm not sure how much the changer costs, as it came bundled with my nav package. But from what I've read it shouldnt be hard to install.

When I found out that I didn't have mp3 capability with my navi it made me :cry:

GTI2007

I think the only difference between the MFD2 with soundsystem is that it has a 8 channel amplifier of 250 watts total and the MFD without soundsystem doesn't have that 8 channel amplifier.

joakim

Go Kart Newbie
I see, thanks.

I read in the forum that it's not possible to use the iPod adabter and the CD changer at the same time? That there are just on input on the back? Thanks.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
yes, the vw ipod adapter uses the cd changer port - which renders the changer useless.. but if you search online there are adapters that will allow you to hook up both, and it will switch between the two automatically.

Someone on here has even posted about it before. Sorry, I dont have a link.

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
davesee said:
No problem

Thats correct, unfortunately.

I'm not sure how much the changer costs, as it came bundled with my nav package. But from what I've read it shouldnt be hard to install.

When I found out that I didn't have mp3 capability with my navi it made me :cry:

Actually that's not true.....you can play audio cd's in the in-dash dvd where the nav cd goes.....i know this because i didnt get my nav dvd right away (dealer mix up) and i played cds in the in dash.

joakim

Go Kart Newbie
The EBAY seller claims it possible to play Audio-CDs in the latest version of the MFD2. Does the latest version also support MP3 CD's?

I was down at the local VW store yesterday and they was asking for around 1800 EUR for the armrest with the cd-changer including installation, that's a heavy amount! :(

katie

Autocross Champion
givenuponsociety said:
Actually that's not true.....you can play audio cd's in the in-dash dvd where the nav cd goes.....i know this because i didnt get my nav dvd right away (dealer mix up) and i played cds in the in dash.

Mine doesn't play CDs either. It just gives me a message saying that the wrong disc is inserted.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
givenuponsociety said:

im going to try at lunch break today...

id be VERY surprised if it works :redface:

Lord Hemming

There are two kinds of MFD2, a DVD and CD. If you have the version that uses CD maps, you can play music (not MP3) CDs in the NAV slot. If you have a DVD version, it can only read maps.

As previously mentioned the 6CD changer interface is used by the iPOD kit, so don't buy a 6CD you can get more tunes on a iPOD. If you want to attach a DVD player, TV tuner etc. look at the link below you may find it useful. I am not associated with this company or have purchased anything from them (yet).

http://www.satnavsystems.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=19&cat=VW

Good luck

GTivan72

Taka Take OFF
Car(s)
VW Mk5 GTI
Mine doesn't play CDs either. It just gives me a message saying that the wrong disc is inserted.

doesnt play cd's at all?