GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running 245/35-19?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
If I end up with 19" wheels this is likely the tire size I'll go with. Running the numbers, I'd end up with an 85mm sidewall compared to 82mm for 235/35-19 and 90mm for stock 225/40-18 sizes. Yes, my speedo would be off a bit but that really doesn't matter much to me. The overall tire diameter ends up being .65 inches larger that stock. I'm thinking these would do a better job of filling the large wheel wells without being a problem and also give a tiny bit of extra protection to the rim.

GTI2007

A41.8QTM said:
If I end up with 19" wheels this is likely the tire size I'll go with. Running the numbers, I'd end up with an 85mm sidewall compared to 82mm for 235/35-19 and 90mm for stock 225/40-18 sizes. Yes, my speedo would be off a bit but that really doesn't matter much to me. The overall tire diameter ends up being .65 inches larger that stock. I'm thinking these would do a better job of filling the large wheel wells without being a problem and also give a tiny bit of extra protection to the rim.

According to a tire size calculator the difference between stock 225/40R18 wheels and 245/35R19 wheels is 2.61 % and with the stock 225/45R17 wheels even 3.03 %

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Right...that's basically what I said. The stock 225/40-18 is an 18" wheel with 7.1 inches of total sidewall = 25.1" diameter. The 19" with 245/35 would be 25.75" total diameter. The difference is 2.6%. I don't care about the speedo being off...it's not accurate from the factory anyway. I need to know if anyone has tried this size and if they have any rubbing issues.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah...there might be a rubbing issue but maybe not.

GTI2007

For fitting a 245 mm wide tire you need a seriously wide rim cause 245 mm is 9.64". You need to have at least a 9" wide wheel to fit a 245/35R19 tire on a decent way.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Not true at all. I currently have 245/45 tires on 18X7.5 wheels on my Audi A4 and they fit really well. No buldge at all and they look great. But then again I'm not a fan of the stretched look either...225 on an 8" rim is pushing it for my tastes. I personally wouldn't go under 235. unless we're talking 7.5" wide.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Holly shit - I asked this question 7 years ago and here I am back thinking about 245/35 19. I didn't even own my GTI yet at that point. So, Asking gain, anyone run this size on 19s? I'd be on ET45 19X8 wheels.

mkvstEEzYGiRL

hahaha
Searched on vortex for you. Here's a 245/35/19 on a 19x8 et42. Your wheels will poke 3mm's less than this.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That Jetta in the first pic looks like stock height - still has gap even with the big wheel/tire combo. I'm considering TSW Stowe wheels and the only reason I'm thinking about 19 is that wheels with lips tend to look small because the spokes don't extend all the way out. I suppose 235/35 is the best option if I go 19.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mkvstEEzYGiRL

hahaha
That Jetta in the first pic looks like stock height - still has gap even with the big wheel/tire combo. I'm considering TSW Stowe wheels and the only reason I'm thinking about 19 is that wheels with lips tend to look small because the spokes don't extend all the way out. I suppose 235/35 is the best option if I go 19.

the car has a 50mm drop. A common misconception is that getting larger wheels/tires will fill up the wheel gap. It actually raises your car and rarely fills the gap. 19's are fine, but because it's such a big wheel, you have to pay more attention to offsets, widths, and tire size… otherwise it can look terrible.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
the car has a 50mm drop. A common misconception is that getting larger wheels/tires will fill up the wheel gap. It actually raises your car and rarely fills the gap. 19's are fine, but because it's such a big wheel, you have to pay more attention to offsets, widths, and tire size… otherwise it can look terrible and ride like shit.

fixed

I disliked how my car felt going from 17s to 18s, can only imagine how 19s would feel.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
18s it is. If I can hust make up my damn mind on the style.