GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Package 1 or Package 2?

PoolShark5

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I haven't bought my new GTI just yet, but I will be soon. I know I'm getting the DSG, and I want the moonroof so I was originally thinking Package 1. But, the more and more I think about it, and since I plan on keeping this car for a long time (and driving a lot) I'm considering Package 2. Leather would be nice, and there are a few other features that come along with it - dual climate (looks better), power seats, etc. For those of you that bought it - is package 2 worth the extra dough?

swami

Go Kart Newbie
Dude...I'm in the same boat you are. I put a deposit down Saturday on a UG, DSG, Pkg 1, 18's. The car is a dealer trade, and I can have it tomorrow if I want it. The problem is I really want the leather...so much so that I text'd my sales guy, and told him to halt the trade. I'm gonna be spending three years with this car, and I'm not gonna settle for something I really don't want.:cool:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
to me it was all about having the OG plaid seats so package 2 was out of the question...if I didn't care about the seats, I would have loved to have all the fixins...

swami

Go Kart Newbie
It's a possibility I knuckle under and take the package 1. I'm trying to remain strong here. I'm just used to the leather and the heated seats in my TSX. I'm not sure I'd be happy in a month or two with the cloth.

dc_candy

Drag Race Newbie
I got pk1, because I didn't want leather or the dual climate control. So that made my decision easy. Price wise, pk2 looks good and spread over the life of a loan even better. The price is consistent with other makers, so if you really want it, I think it is worth the extra money. You may have the car 5-8 years, get what you want and be happy. I’m in a similar situation with the transmission, I got DSG but I don’t know if that was the right decision. I get the car on Tuesday, so I have to decide by then. Good luck…

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
PK1 PK1!!! save the money from the unessesary leather and climate control and put that extra cash into your car once you buy

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
I've thought about this issue as well. The problem with the above ^ rationale is that the extra cost would be spread throughout the entire loan. Putting the saved money into mods is more difficult since you must put up the cash for the mod all at once, you just can't look at it like that. You either want the goodies and are willing to spend a bit more per month, or you're not, it just depends on where your priorities are at.

Good luck.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
the worth of package 2 should not be an issue...if you want it; it's definetly worth it... Leather seating in a car is expensive as hell, the climate system is proablly a little cheaper to manufacture, but is still sweet. If you want Leather don't stress the additional fundage, To me the plaid is so awesome, I love it, but if you really want leather, than go for it.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I'm too anal to deal with the creases and scratches that the leather gets. The rivets in all my jeans just raped my leather seats in my previous GTI's and A4. I love the plaid too.

Reppin Package 1 uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh naaaa naaaaa naaaa naaahhhh

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Save your money for mods! Get PKG 0!

The sunroof is too small to be useful (and adds weight). Satellite radio is a rip-off (get Rhapsody-To-Go!). The plaid looks better and probably have better longevity than the leather. The leather on the GTI feels like shark-skin compared to some other manufacturers! The only reason I'd get PKG 2 is for the climatronic (mostly for looks though).

Get the 18" wheels though. The US 17" wheels take away from the GTI-look. They make the GTI look like a Golf GT. :(

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
MHS216 said:
I'm too anal to deal with the creases and scratches that the leather gets. The rivets in all my jeans just raped my leather seats in my previous GTI's and A4. I love the plaid too.

Reppin Package 1 uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh naaaa naaaaa naaaa naaahhhh

excellent point...i have leather right now and i'm doing the same thing. never again will i have leather unless it is a straight up luxury car when im in my 50's or 60's...

dmclone

Oval Champion
I wish I could have found a package 0 instead of the package 1. I use the sunroof about 5 times a year and won't renew XM after my free trial. I am happy that I got DSG however.

The GTI is a heck of a deal with package 0. If you get package 2 w/dsg you're talking about a lot of money and then I don't know if the GTI is worth it.

bilbos

On the Kop
I can certainly agree with some of the comments on this thread. I originally went to the dealer for a Pkg 0, 6 MT and came away with a Pkg 1, DSG, mainly because they couldn't locate a car for me in the colour that I wanted (United Grey), and I couldn't wait for one to be ordered. :biggrin:

I must admit though, that the sunroof will definitely be made use of during the coming months, but the Sat Radio subscription will not be renewed. I personally think that the extra outlay for the Pkg 2 is not really worth it.

Just my opinion.