GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 GTI and R32 being built in Brazil??

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
I emailed VWoA asking where the 2008 R32 is being built. I just got a reply with:

Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen website. We appreciate your interest in the Volkswagen brand.

The 2008 R32 is being manufactured in Curitiba, Brazil, which is where the GTI is also built.

Thanks for stopping by!

Darnel
Volktalk

I have a 2006 GTI 2.0T and, according to the window sticker, it was built in Wolfsburg, Germany. So is this new for MY2008? Can a VW salesperson chime in.. maybe confirm this?

----------------------

UPDATE 4/26

I spoke to someone on Vortex who works at VWoA in Auburn Hills. He confirmed that the MY2008 GTI and R32 will NOT be built in Brazil. They are still being built Wolfsburg, Germany. I'll take his word over "Darnel", but I don't think we'll know for sure until we physically read the window sticker.

Last edited:

NoC2000

Old Pro
I emailed VWoA asking where the 2008 R32 is being built. I just got a reply with:I have a 2006 GTI 2.0T and, according to the window sticker, it was built in Wolfsburg, Germany. So is this new for MY2008? Can a VW salesperson chime in.. maybe confirm this?

I think you can be reasonably assured that the R32 will not be produced in other than the one plant in Europe. Also, I would not expect the MkV GTI to move out of Germany for the NA market for 2008.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
*edit* so the manager was blowing smoke out his as, I wasted time researching. although i won't take one of the few resources (wikipedia) that gave any information on the topic, as reliable. the models were made in Brazil, up UNTIL 2006. however, now they are all 100% made in Germany.

Last edited:

Subie25L

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if it applies to the US as well but at the moment 5dr MkV GTI's that come to Australian are from South Africa. 3dr GTI's are from Germany along with both 3dr and 5dr R32's

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
The car already has somewhat moved out of the Germany plant. There are actually a number of plants that build the model. Had a short discussion about the topic with the manager of the VW dealership I got my MkV from a few weeks back. Mine came from Wolfsburg, but he said that isn't usually the case... they all come from various locations. They've outsource a large portion of the model manufacturing to Brazil. The Germany & Brazil plants are both the largest, doubling the size of the smaller plants in Europe/Brazil/Mexico.

Long story short, there's a decent chance your car wasn't made in Germany if it's an '07... and a pretty good chance it won't be if '08+.

That manager is clueless. All 2006 and 2007 GTIs that come to North America are built in Wolfsburg, Germany.

D

Deleted member 10673

And...

That manager is clueless. All 2006 and 2007 GTIs that come to North America are built in Wolfsburg, Germany.

Sir, you are correct 3dr GTI Wolfsburg, Germany. OH YES

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
Workers at VWoA are CLUELESS!!

nc-gti

Ready to race!
Workers at VWoA are CLUELESS!!

OK, let's say you work for VWoA and are in the Sales, Marketing or Disrtibution area. What would be the reason for them to know, or care, where a particular model is made? How does this knowledge serve the customer?

All the cars imported are clearly marked where they are made-a VWoA employee does not need to provide this information.

Why do you think the non-Engineering VWoA employees should need to know this?

Or even the Dealers (which, of cource, are not VWoA employees)