GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkV GTI or MkV R32???

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Well as most everybody knows I'm without a car because my GTI was stolen last week. Here is my queston; Which one is the better choice for performance? GTI or R32?

I'm talking about pure speed, a modded 2.0T(check my sig.) vs. 3.2L without adding forced induction to the R32. Which one would be faster in the 1/4? or on a road course?

I know all the differences; AWD vs. FWD, turbo vs. NA, manual vs. dsg. this is a car vs. car or a run what you got race. who wins?

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
If I was after speed alone I wouldn't choose either. The GTI is more about "civilized sportiness". It has an A-class interior with excellent build quality and enough power to still be fun to drive. It's not a race car, it's a hot hatch, and to make it one would be to take away the spirit of it.

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
If I was after speed alone I wouldn't choose either. The GTI is more about "civilized sportiness". It has an A-class interior with excellent build quality and enough power to still be fun to drive. It's not a race car, it's a hot hatch, and to make it one would be to take away the spirit of it.

I will seconds that. If you want a really fast car in the $35k range (the price on an R32), you have many options. For that kinda money you could get yourself into an later model e36 M3 that has low miles and has been maintained well, and have tons of $ left for mods, etc.

DJM

MCDGexx

Future Navy Corpsmen
The R32 has more potential because it has a bigger engine, question is how much are you willing to put into it? GTI would be cheaper to mod than the R32.

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
I want a hot hatch, and I realize that I could have a faster car (evo/sti) I have my mind made up its just the speed issue that I can't decide on so I am asking for your help.

Its weird that out of the 3 people that have replied 2 don't even own GTI's. A little help from a VW owner would be good. Anyway I think a 06 pkg0 UG 87miles for 22K is my #1 choice right now.

njohanss

Ready to race!
i would go with the r32, yeah it's not forced induction but it does have a bigger engine and the all wheel drive is just badass...plus you could always put turbo on it if you have the $$...you should watch the top gear episode of the r32 vs. bmw 130i (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=top+gear+r32&search=Search)...it's a pretty good video and they give the r32 a great review...wish i had one...

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
thx

Yenshepee

Keep in mind the new STIs are going to be 5 door (official car will be released in new york auto show) and i must say they are really HOT hatches, i have seen them because i know the people that had to do photo ops for it for the show, you wont be able to find the pics online cuz they made it "super secret" but from the pics it looks really nice for a hatch, so if you have the patience...

Dani's

Car(s)
golf GTI DSG
hi,i don't know where you get that conclusion...here in europe stock GTI are bit faster than R32.
I have tried several times little runs with some mod R32,i 'm always in front,you guys should try some times there not so fast.
oo i forgot,i have only ABT stage 1 and the DSG.

So if you're looking for the performance i would go with the gti,if you like big sound and perfs take the R,but mod's are so mutch expensive.

Sorry for my bad english.

Delboy

Oval Newbie
I've been lucky enough to own a GTi and now an R32. IMO there is not much too choose between them in real world everyday driving, performance is very similar, but in a slightly different way.

The GTi is lighter, easier to throw about, but suffers a bit on poorly maintained British roads, bang for buck it's unbeatable IMO.
The GTi has a great cult following, and has a good amount of after market options, if tuning is what yourr into.

The R32 is heavier, and power comes in on a seamless wave of torque, it irons out rut and pot holes with ease, and makes for very comfortable mile muncher.
I feel very secure in the R32 and it make me drive more sensible for some strange reason, and I can't help but smile every time I hear the motor come on song.

I can't honestly say which one is the better car, yes the R32 is expensive, when you consider the two are so closely matched for power, but it has a certain something special.

As I said in a previous post, if I lived in the states, where petrol was as cheap, I’d have no question over owning an R32.

Last edited:

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Buy a GTI, add mods worth the difference in price of the two (GTI vs R32), and the GTI will smoke the R32. However, the GTI will never have the smooth torque of the R32's engine or its AWD. Kinda depends on how you like your power delivered: Thrown at you or on a silver platter?

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Okay... Straight up R32 given that you have the money.

1) Stock for stock it will be quicker than the GTI.
2) There are clucth packs for the R32 DSG... there are none yet for the GTI and who knows if there will be anytime soon since everyone seems to be more focused on the R32.
3) NA power.
4) Resale value.
-and last of all-
5) How much of the power that you could put into a FWD (i repeat, a FWD) car will actually be useable? Go with AWD and the power that you can actually put down to the pavement is pretty much dependent on the amount of money you want to put into it. The GTI spins the wheels enough at 250hp, wtf would 400hp do? Spin them faster?

GTITampa

Drag Racing Champion
Keep in mind the new STIs are going to be 5 door (official car will be released in new york auto show) and i must say they are really HOT hatches, i have seen them because i know the people that had to do photo ops for it for the show, you wont be able to find the pics online cuz they made it "super secret" but from the pics it looks really nice for a hatch, so if you have the patience...

What the production STI may look like