GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front license plate alternative ????

JerzyGuyz

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I just took delivery of my New 2006.5 GTI and the dealer told me how that they will attach the State required front license plate >>>> They will ruin the front bumper! >>> by drilling 4 holes in the black plastic !

Anyone know of an alternative to doing this? I know I have to have the darn thing in the front for NJ but will be moving to Florida next year where they don't have a front plate... the holes will trash it.

dennykrane

Autocross Champion
I know someone used zip ties to connect it to the homeycomb. that might disrupt airflow though, so that would be your call. you'd be blocking the intercooler a bit.

rdswcp

Go Kart Newbie
I have been going w/out it so far and haven't had a problem. I'm in Washington and they require a front plate, but I always see other sporty cars w/out them (BMWs, Corvettes, even Miata's). I think it would only be an issue if you got caught speeding or some other moving violation. But getting pulled over for just not displaying the plate would seem crazy.

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
I wish i were in your shoes; drill the holes, use the plate and then when you move to FL, get a novelty euro-style plate. i want to do that, but CO requires the front plate as well.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
You know, real EEC plates now come in high-quality reflective plastic in the same dimensions. Do you know anyone who makes replicas of these?

All the plates online look pretty crappy and cheezy (stamped steel).

I'm ready to drill holes to put on some nice Euro plates. I think it really adds to the look of the front fascia but, the options we have out there really suck.

JerzyGuyz

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
The europlate is a Cool idea. I just can't get over drilling holes in that shiny black bumper. Wish there was a braket that attach under the black bumper and come up to attach the plate... hmmm, maybe I should visit a body shop, have them custom one and the get rich off of selling it :)

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?
dennykrane said:
I know someone used zip ties to connect it to the homeycomb. that might disrupt airflow though, so that would be your call. you'd be blocking the intercooler a bit.

that was me, i tried to place it so that it wouldnt block too much air flow. So far its been fine. I was thinking of wedging it between the dash and windshield but you know how jersey cops are

hey you live in bordentown? I live pretty close to you. Do you ever go to any of the gtgs around here?

VrstewartW said:
I was thinking of wedging it between the dash and windshield but you know how jersey cops are

not the best idea, i know some people that have done this, and it calls more attention to cops that it is not on the bumper.

i have been running no plate for 6 years in a state that requires it and have been fine... well actually i moved into a nicer area, and got stopped by a cop the first day when i was running my euro plate... he told me to take it off, i said "OK".
2 weeks later he saw me running it still, and gave me a ticket... i took a picture with the real plate (duct taped) on drove to the court house with my euro plate on, and the judge dropped it after seeing the pic with the real plate on :biggrin:

holes in bumper :brokenheart: :cry:
DOWN WITH FRONT PLATES!

excal06

Autocross Champion
ewoo said:
You can always buy a new grill section piece from VW for around $200.

Is it hard to replace that part? Because I also got 4 holes in my front bumper.
For 200 I'm thinking to get it if it is not too hard to install. And I'm planning to keep my old one, so when I got pulled over without license plate I can go to the courthouse using the old bumper :thumbup:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
No, it's pretty easy. Just a couple of screws.
Check out the Bentley Service Manual for the GTI at http://www.ebahn.com
You can get an online subscription or a 3-day pass for $20.
Print out a bunch of sections you need. Very helpful. Keeps you from breaking parts too. :)