GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front grill options

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Does anyone know of any metal grill options available for the GTI?
I would really like to see some metal grill options where the black plastic is now.
The fog light area would look really cool if the mesh was real and had real holes.
I'd like to do all the mesh grills in a satin aluminum, or doe the center grills in aluminum and the fog light grills in anodoized black aluminum.

Anyone else want something like this?
Anyone seen these options anywhere?

TT

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTT said:
Does anyone know of any metal grill options available for the GTI?
I would really like to see some metal grill options where the black plastic is now.
The fog light area would look really cool if the mesh was real and had real holes.
I'd like to do all the mesh grills in a satin aluminum, or doe the center grills in aluminum and the fog light grills in anodoized black aluminum.

Anyone else want something like this?
Anyone seen these options anywhere?

TT

Early spec DSG cars had open vents on the fog light mesh as you can see on my car here:

The vent cannot be open immediately around the fog light because of some electronics behind it (I think).

I understand that some GLIs in the US had this sort of mesh also, so you may want to go to your VW dealer and ask if they are still available (I think that they stopped producing for the GLI as well as the GTI).
Anodized black aluminium would be really nice, but I find that the black plastic looks just fine (especially if you apply that spray that makes the rest of your black plastic trim look darker... not sure what it is in the US, over here in the UK I use Autoglym Car Rubber and Vinyl Care spray, has a really nice finish).

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
you have completely open air vents. You can find them on eBay

Nice. What are they made of?
I have a very cool spray that can give them a cool aluminum look, but I prefer something
made of metal, IF it's available.

Thanks for the info.

TT

GTI2007

GTT said:
Nice. What are they made of?
I have a very cool spray that can give them a cool aluminum look, but I prefer something
made of metal, IF it's available.

Thanks for the info.

TT

they are from the same material as the original OEM air vents which are plastic if I'm not wrong. I don't think there are any air vents for the mk V GTI that are made out of metal. I know 3 versions of the air vents and they are all made of plastic

Carn

Drag Racing Champion
can anyone tell me where to find those open fog surrounds ? I tried e-bay but I couldnt find anything. Im referring to the complete open ones not the DSG ones.

The open grill can be made.

use an exacto knife and a candle.
heat up the blade and cut out each honeycomb.

it seems like alot of work but it is cheaper than 89€
and then you can say that you did it yourself.

(i havent done this, but saw it in another forum... so it can be done)

GTI2007

GTi Fanatic said:
The open grill can be made.

use an exacto knife and a candle.
heat up the blade and cut out each honeycomb.

it seems like alot of work but it is cheaper than 89€
and then you can say that you did it yourself.

(i havent done this, but saw it in another forum... so it can be done)

The guy who sells those complete open grills on eBay is probably just doing the same and there are people who want to pay 89€ for it while you can do it yourself if you really want and save a lot of money

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
The guy who sells those complete open grills on eBay is probably just doing the same and there are people who want to pay 89€ for it while you can do it yourself if you really want and save a lot of money

How much do these parts cost from the dealer?
That would be my question, and would determine whether I would cut mine or order them already cut.

TT

GTI2007

GTT said:
How much do these parts cost from the dealer?
That would be my question, and would determine whether I would cut mine or order them already cut.

TT

The partly open ones like from the early DSG GTI's cost 21,11 € if you buy them from a VW-Dealer. The original cost nothing because if you buy a GTI you have 2 original closed air vents

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
The partly open ones like from the early DSG GTI's cost 21,11 € if you buy them from a VW-Dealer. The original cost nothing because if you buy a GTI you have 2 original closed air vents

If you can find stock, that is - to my understanding (I could be wrong) the early-pattern ones are no longer being produced.