GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to buy GTi : Advice sought

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Greetings,

I'm fairly close to snapping a cancelled 2006 Golf GTi order but want to ask the advice of people here who've been through this.

What Kelvin are the bi-xenon lights rated at for the Aussie GTi? VW Australia are unable to answer this question for me.

What sort of deal should I be pushing for with the dealer? The package I'm looking to secure includes DSG, bi-xenon headlights and sunroof.
I've read some people insist on the 3 year warranty and managed to get the dealer delivery charge dropped. How'd you get the charge dropped?

Are the GTi's sold here (Australia) made in Africa or Germany?

Any and all answers appreciated, cheers.

Looking to put a deposit on it this week and take delivery in june/july.

Thanks!

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
They are marketed as bi-xenons though I haven't really looked to see how it works with the highbeams to see whether they really are bi-xenons. Not sure how many Kelvin the bulbs are, possibly 4000K as they are not pure white in my opinion and definitely not blue.

I thought you get 3 year warranty regardless? Isn't it 3 year or 100,000km warranty?

There is not definite way of getting the dealer to reduce the prices, I have found that they are more willing to reduce prices the more options you get, however as this is a cancelled order Im not sure whether they will be less/more inclined to budge on their price.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
i think he was talking about the free 3 year servicing. some dealers will give some wont, this is how i see it, if they are taking you for a ride on the price and they offer you free servicing then you know the price is too high.

try and get them at the price they are asking for it to say they will give you the free servicing, then ask for discount on price if you want the free servicing.

as for budgin on price not many have got a decent discount i believe ours was good we got it 34k change over so we were happy with that and we had no 6 month wait walked in and bought it then and there.

SSS_Hoon

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
The 3 years servicing is up to the approval of VW apparently. My dealer agreed to give it to me on the condition that I could get a letter from my place of work to say that it is a company vehicle etc. Although my car is a privately registered vehicle and I am in no way leasing it from the company I managed to get a letter since I was on good terms with one of the HR managers and the dealer was fine with that. I am yet to test it out to see whether it is approved however the dealer assured me everything will be ok. I believe it is 3 years free servicing or 45,000km which ever comes first. Not 100% sure on the amount of KM but its definitely not an unlimited kilometre servicing.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
alf said:
the head lights are NOT bi-xenons, only single xenon. thats about all i read lolz.

You read wrong. The lights are bi-xenon. You can see the shutter moving up and down when dipping the lights... The halogen also comes on when high beam is on. it's more there for quick flashes, as the bixenon doesn't respond as fast, due to the shutter.

All Australian delivered GTI's are made in South Africa.

Are you planning on ordering from Lennock?? PM me before hand if you are... Chances are you might have gotten my cancelled order with them. I'll tell you why I've gone with another dealer if you're interested...

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
there might be a few getting through from germany though to ease the backlog i read that somewhere too.

yeah they are bi-xenon they are auto levelling, so if you change wheels or suspension then they are out of whack, well they are too high stock anyway.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon

ben_warwick

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

The dealer I ordered mine from said that lights are bi-xenon...although I'm not sure you can trust the dealers!!

Hey sublyne, I'm going to be using my GTI for business use too. Who did you speak to/contact about free servicing. I'd be VERY interested in organsing this as I do around 20,000kms a year (mostly work use).

Thanks!

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
The sales guy should be able to assist you with the 3 years servicing. Just tell him that u will be using it for business use and that you know of other people who have gotten the 3 years servicing as part of the deal. If one refuses just move to the next and use it as a bargaining tool

tkj

I am using my GTI for business use and I got the following providing I supply a letter from my company stating that its part of my package.

3year/45K free servicing
Dealer del reduced from 2.5 to 1k

Car Specs = silver, DSG, Bi-xenon.
Denlo Parramatta

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Thanks for all the replies (and PMs). They've been very helpful. I'll attempt the negotiations as I'll be purchasing and then leasing back to myself (why not).

Cheers everyone.

Been looking at possibly getting the chip done and replacing the blowoff valve. Any experience with these mods?

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Haven't personally modded my GTI but the blow off valve is a waste of money in my opinion. The standard valve has no indication of it leaking or anything under the standard application or when chipped (well not that Ive heard of) so theres little point in changing it besides for the noise.

I'd personally invest it in a chip instead of the BOV, either that or I'd be doing suspension mods eg. sway bars just to make it handle even better. I've always wanted to go on the track and seeing how it goes :)

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
they dont have BOV they have DV valves, and afaik there aint a replacement yet just a forge spacer which goes inbetwwen the dv and the piping and lets it vent to the atmosphere like a bov, but it is loud and not your normal loud.

if you ahve been in one and you hear the blow off it last a while on some occasions, and with the GTI ecu it only uses boost when it needs to so you could be cruising along at 3krpm but no load so no need for boost so the dv diverts it to by pass it, and with the dv it goes atmo and is whooooosssh the entire time as the valve is constantly open.

edit: personally i would go turbo back zorst and intake before i got a chip, then some suspension upgrades then a re flash.

they have around the 126-127fwkw mark stock so plenty of power stock the zorst and intake should add a nice amount to that id say around the 130-137fwkw mark, and i was at a dyno day were there was a chipped mkv gti and it only made 133fwkw, but the midrange was a lot better.

SSS_Hoon

ben_warwick

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI for all re. free servicing and reduced dealer delivery charges.

If the vehicle is being used for business purposes and the company has a fleet of more than 50 vehicles you are entitled to 3yrs free servicing.

To obtain this just get me a letter from your employer staing its purpose. The discount on dealer delivery is also related to a fleet deal.

If your company qualifies I can reduce the dealer charges also.