GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailed Detailing Process

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I will preface this by saying this is a complete copy of agranger’s detailing process as he posted on North American Motoring (MINI Cooper website). I have copied it here because it is how I started out in the detailing thing and it has only gone crazy from here. Though this may be sensory overload for some, it is a truly great resource for products, techniques and hints on how to get the best appearance out of your car.

I have appended the word document to this post so you can download it, print it out and use it at your convienence. Here is the outline of what I do. The details are in the word documner.

Good luck and have fun, let me know if you have questions or comments. Most of all enjoy your ride!

My semi-annual program (maybe annual if the car is garaged at work and at home)
1. Engine Detailing (see engine detailing procedures below)
2. Wash car with a quality automotive shampoo (I use the Zaino Z7 shampoo, but almost any name brand auto shampoo that you can buy in bulk at Wal-mart should be fine)
3. Clay-bar the entire car (see claying process below). (Note from BradB: I “spot” clay the car several times a year as needed. It’s a continual process for me. I hate grit! I inspect at each wash and take care of issues as they happen. I prefer Zaino, Mothers and ClayMagic Clay. The Only one I really dislike is Meguiars. It leaves too much sticky residue.)
4. Wash with auto shampoo (see wash process below)
5. Polish paint (see polishing process below)
6. Polish glass (see glass polishing process below
7. Wash with auto shampoo
8. Seal with Zaino (see Zaino process below)
9. Quick Detail (see quick detail procedures below)
10. Treat wiper blades with 303 Wiper Blade Treatment.
11. Care for Rubber Seals (see seal protection procedures below)
12. Wax the wheels inside and out.

My Monthly routine
1. Glass – I use a glass microfiber towel and Stoner’s Invisible Glass Spray on the interior glass. Because I Zaino the exterior glass, I just use a polishing microfiber towel and Zaino Z6 quick detailing spray on the outside. This yields a highly reflective shine that doesn’t degrade the performance of wiper blades like Rain-X. Note from BradB: I clay my windshield bi-monthly. I clean exterior glass with glass cleaner after every car wash. (I am never satisfied with the ever-present streaks that any chamois or even microfiber drying towel leaves on the windshield after washing) My favorite glass cleaner is Einszett. Stoners Invisible Glass and Eagle 20/20 are standby’s. The new Sonus cleaner is quite good as well.

I polish the windshield glass monthly with Einszett (superfine) or Autoglym (slightly more abrasive) polish. Both work fast and have almost no residue.
2. Leather care – I use the Zaino leather cleaner, which seems to work just fine. I love the smell of the Zaino leather conditioner, which you apply after the cleaner has dried. BradB also recommends Mothers Leather Dressing.
3. Quick touch-up of the engine compartment – I wipe down the engine compartment with an old washcloth dampened with 303 Aerospace cleaner. I might use a bit of 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rubber or plastic.

My weekend routine
1. Wash
2. Quick Detail (BradB: I do this as needed sometimes daily. I hate dust!)
3. Tires and exterior rubber: I generally use the Zaino plastic and rubber treatment for the exterior plastic bits. BradB also uses Zaino, but also likes Eagle One Concours Satin Shine. He dislikes messy sprays and absolutely hates gels.
4. Interior – Vacuum floor and dust/treat dash. I frequently use the Zaino treatment inside, but also like 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Mid week touch-up (on weekend as well if the roads have been clean/dry)
1. Dust exterior – If it hasn’t rained, I use the Oxo Car duster. BradB says that he has a California Car Duster but only uses it occasionally… he tends to wash first.
2. Dust interior – I run a Swiffer duster over the dash to knock down the dust a bit. BradB has one of those tiny California Interior Car Dusters, but I might have converted him to Swiffers.
3. Quick Detail

Attachments

• DetailingProcess.doc
    110 KB · Views: 1,350

azmcs

trick000 said:
That takes up a lot of time. How much would it cost to have someone do this quarterly?

Don't really know. I look at as cheaper than a shrink:tongue:

Seriously a true hand detail like what I do every 6 months, with polishing the paint etc. is gonna be big bucks. It is really a weekend process. I would say on average I spend 2 hours/weekend or less, but when I do the semi-annual work I spend 4-6 hours one day and 2-4 hours the next day getting it all done. Of course, I have a jet black car in Arizona, so it shows every little defect and as a doc, I am way too anal to let any blems slide!

If I am crunched for time, and I have done a decent job of keeping up with dusting in the week, I can have my car washed, dried and quick detailed in under an hour. The interior takes about 20 minutes when I am moving quickly.

To answer you question I would guess over $300 bucks.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
A usual full detail in a reputable shop would cost upwards of almost $300. I charged $285 for complete detail (6 hr job) at M-Benz and that was for any retail account that stepped in my door.

And BTW, if you know how to use a high speed buffer Lustro Products are the best out there. Easy clean up, no debris, and protection that will last a year or more with numerous washings.

Meguair's is the Best over-the-counter available for the average enthusiast!

azmcs

Wild Hare said:
A usual full detail in a reputable shop would cost upwards of almost $300. I charged $285 for complete detail (6 hr job) at M-Benz and that was for any retail account that stepped in my door.

And BTW, if you know how to use a high speed buffer Lustro Products are the best out there. Easy clean up, no debris, and protection that will last a year or more with numerous washings.

Meguair's is the Best over-the-counter available for the average enthusiast!

As a detailer you know the risks of rotary buffers. I high caution any newbies from using a rotary buffer. The risks most of the time far outwiegh any benefits. If you think you need to use one, or can't get the results you need from a random orbital buffer, like the Porter Cable, seek professional help. Or you may be seeking a professional respray!

FYI Porter Cable buffer:
http://autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Of course "high speed rotary" only for a talented/experienced person and random orbital for the avreage person.

azmcs

Thought I would bump this as I have been fielding a bunch of PM's about waxing etc.. I really like this guide. It is way detailed, but take from it what you need. I keep a printed copy close at hand in the garage when I am doing something I haven't in awhile. It's actually inside my Bentley!

Cheers

Last edited:

Faerus

Autocross Newbie
I use this exact plan, although I got it from the MINI forum and I will be doing it with him on June 17th with my Zaino Kit!

walangij

D1 2010!
This is a great guide. I'm hoping to at least start the weekend routine this weekend. Having a black car makes me very anal about keeping it clean.

I'm very tight with my budgeting though and can't afford the PC orbital buffer yet, do you think it will be alright for my car to go through 6 months before the semi-annual program. I've read that most people do this in the spring and the fall, but since I'll be in college this fall (hence tight on cash) I won't be able to polish, seal, or clay.

Would it do much damage on my car if I didn't do this or could my clear coat survive throughout the winter without a good polish/seal until spring time? Just hoping that touchless car washes in the winter will keep my car in decent condition.

azmcs

walangij said:
This is a great guide. I'm hoping to at least start the weekend routine this weekend. Having a black car makes me very anal about keeping it clean.

I'm very tight with my budgeting though and can't afford the PC orbital buffer yet, do you think it will be alright for my car to go through 6 months before the semi-annual program. I've read that most people do this in the spring and the fall, but since I'll be in college this fall (hence tight on cash) I won't be able to polish, seal, or clay.

Would it do much damage on my car if I didn't do this or could my clear coat survive throughout the winter without a good polish/seal until spring time? Just hoping that touchless car washes in the winter will keep my car in decent condition.

The PC is a definite plus but dont go buy one first if you are on a budget. Get your towels and cleaning/waxing supplies together. You will have a bit more work to do once you do pick up the PC, but as long as you don't go years before using it you should still get your pain polished right up again.

You don't need to polish to protect the finish. It merely brings that pop! out of the color. You do need to seal or wax tha car. in general I have found that if you live in a area that gets a real winter (i.e. snow and ice) you get longer results with a sealant like Zaino but you can use a carnuba based wax, you'll just apply it more frequently.