GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning Monster Mats?

jericksen5

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you guys use to clean the monster mats? Ive used car wash soap and water, and it still left that white residue. I took my car to a full service wash, and they cleaned them real nice and real fast, but i dont know what they did. I asked the guy, but he didnt speak english.

What do you guys do to clean the mats?

leo delarge

I stay high
i hose them down and just get a brush and use some soapy water and rinse it out and let them dry... i once threw them in the bathtub while i showered since it was too cold out haha it worked though

peterrabbit

ima eat yo family
i hose them down and just get a brush and use some soapy water and rinse it out and let them dry... i once threw them in the bathtub while i showered since it was too cold out haha it worked though

that's so over the top.

good times.

Froster

Passed Driver's Ed
I powerwash mine, and then use a light tire dressing on them. You don't want to use too much tire dressing, because of how oily it is, but just enough to soak in will keep them looking great, and helps to repel water and keep ice from sticking.

The only caveat is that you want to make sure that you have some time to let them rest outside the car because some tire dressing smells quite a bit while its 'wet'.

mawti

From the Lane
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI

Ha, I just might give that a try as well. :thumbup:

But ya, power washing them first seems like a good idea.

Hope you decided not to pee in the shower that day :biggrin:

nc-gti

Ready to race!

I would pitch them in the trash and buy proper color matched carpet mats. They will protect the carpet just as well, show dirt less and are much easier to keep clean. And they will make the interior of the car look much better and less like a 1942 Jeep.

Wiely

Banned
The guys who cleaned them at the shop probably just sprayed them with degreaser and pressure washed them, if they had a gloss at all to them the most likely put a plastic/rubber dressing on. If you dont have a pressure washer i would just brush them with deg. and hose them off, any dressing will just cling to dirt and they will get dirty faster.

IchBinDarren

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Rabbit
What do you guys use to clean the monster mats? Ive used car wash soap and water, and it still left that white residue. I took my car to a full service wash, and they cleaned them real nice and real fast, but i dont know what they did. I asked the guy, but he didnt speak english.

I hose them off, then spray them with Simple Green, let them sit for a minute, then hose off once more. That works very well for me.

Hurley6x

Ready to race!
Its funny that you mention the shower thing, I have cleaned mine off in the shower this winter cause it was just too cold to do outside. I cant say I actually showered with them though, your all on your own with that one.