GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

overpriced installation?

ak628

I enjoy bog snorkeling
Car(s)
09 GTI DSG
I'm getting a cup kit installed soon and APR quoted me 6 hrs (around $550) for labor.

I manage to break everything I touch so a professional install is a must. Anyone know how long the install takes? Not sure if I'd trust a cheaper shop with the install.

I'd like to spend $700 or under and the H&R Cup Kit looks like a good option. Only mods now are APR stage 1. Any strong opinions on better cup kits?

The KONI FSD Shocks with Eibach Pro-Kit Springs is 200 more. Is it worth the extra money?

All I want out of this is a moderate drop and better handling. I don't want a huge drop and a firmer ride sounds good. No coilovers for me cause I will never want to adjust the height and spending over a grand is not an option.

mlowmk5

nothing rhymes w/ orange
Car(s)
2 dr CW
I am not sure the pricing in your area but most performance shops in my area charge 350-450 to install suspension. (No alignment)

I would suggest you try to locate someone from the forums that can do the install for you and save some cash.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
few things. if you're set on getting a cup kit, the H&R cup kits are the best. are you getting the touring or sport one? also, I know you said you wouldn't need the adjustment of coilovers, but if you're set against them because of price, you're wrong on thinking they are all over a grand. there are plenty of good coils for under a grand, and even some that are just as much as a cup kit. If you want a moderate drop, ST coilovers should handle like a dream because they are made more for ride quality than slamming, and they are around $800. just throwing this out so you are aware there are numerous coilover options in your price range that are designed for what you want: moderate drop and better handling.

the $550 install is too much. you can get a quality install for anywhere from $200-400 so that price is way too much

Elwood

3-7-77
It took me about 6 hours to install a H&R Cup kit on my GTI. I've never done it before, don't have a lift, don't have air tools, and had to make a trip to the dealer for a new strut bearing. That price is too high.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Cost me $275 to have HPA SHS coilovers installed, along with HPA's hockey puck dog bone mount. Without alignment of course, but chalk up another $100-$120 for that. So yeah, $550 is indeed too high!

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
Install it yourself. Suspension is not that hard. Go rent some tools or borrow some. It's best to DIY since we are on a recession. But if you want to pay 7 bills go right ahead. Suspension is not really rocket science.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Install it yourself. Suspension is not that hard. Go rent some tools or borrow some. It's best to DIY since we are on a recession. But if you want to pay 7 bills go right ahead. Suspension is not really rocket science.

X2 and you don't really need any specialty tools. There are ways around buying any fancy tools. First time I did the suspension on my car it took me about 5 hours. Now I can do it in around 3 1/2.

GTI6120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI, 08 A3
Go to the regional forums and ask some locals-they have mod install meets and can help. And were you planning on going to the Alabama APR headquarters to do the install?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Sears they installed my buddy shocks and spring for like 250 with alignment.

posted with my phone

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
Sears they installed my buddy shocks and spring for like 250 with alignment.

posted with my phone

that's not bad at all especially they included alignment. But usually you would have to do the alignment after a couple of miles driving on the springs to let them settle.