GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are many chipped Aussie GTIs blowing DV/PCV valves?

squelch99

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

First post, been lurking for a few months.....:thumbsup:

I have had my manual Black GTI for about 3 months now and am about to get an APR stage 1 reflash. I'm just wondering how many of you guys who have been chipped have had problems with blown DV or PCV valves? I really want the extra power but don't want to be replacing parts every few months. I've thoroughly researched the issues on all the forums but wanted to to get an Australian (and SA assembled cars) take on the situation.

Cheers
Dave

Hong Chau

Banned
Welcome Squelch99.
i've had mine chipped for 6 months now.
no problems yet. but i do recall reading on other threads that chipping does or MAY cause DV/PCV valves to fail.
not sure if anybody has actually have this happen to them.
hope its not true.

Tiny Gti

Banned
Car(s)
05 GTI MKV DSG 5DR
Hi,

First post, been lurking for a few months.....:thumbsup:

I have had my manual Black GTI for about 3 months now and am about to get an APR stage 1 reflash. I'm just wondering how many of you guys who have been chipped have had problems with blown DV or PCV valves? I really want the extra power but don't want to be replacing parts every few months. I've thoroughly researched the issues on all the forums but wanted to to get an Australian (and SA assembled cars) take on the situation.

Cheers
Dave

G'day dave,

Ive got the Oettinger Upgrade (Same as APR), and had some trouble with mine after about 8 months. Mind you mine is an 05 model, so had the earlier valve which has been replaced now with the bettered C Version.

BTW you should consider the GIAC ECU Upgrade, its bloody good and cheaper at $1650. To be honest I think it is smoother and more linear than the APR, only now after getting my exhaust is mine as linear and smooth as the GIAC. I feel GIAC has more torque and punch. If I had my time again I would probably go GIAC to be honest. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Tiny.......

damo

Oval Newbie
BTW you should consider the GIAC ECU Upgrade, its bloody good and cheaper at $1650. To be honest I think it is smoother and more linear than the APR, only now after getting my exhaust is mine as linear and smooth as the GIAC. I feel GIAC has more torque and punch. If I had my time again I would probably go GIAC to be honest. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Tiny.......
Tiny where are they in Sydney, you've obviously been in cars with both have you, a bit more punch ? quicker ? or just smoother overall ?
I am waiting for Unichip to develop a program. Ive been using them for a few years and very happy with there tunabillity, but if i find something i like beforehand i might go with it.

Thanks
Damo

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
Contact Seb @ euromotive in Giraween he does GIAC

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
ohhh btw my car when at idle at a traffic light seems to shake is this normal does it happen here 2 ppl..........its really pissing me off....Derek ran VAGCOM and the car had no problems so now i am lost :iono: any one :help:

squelch99

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies.

Tiny, I'm interested in your input on the GIAC chip, from all the research I 've done, it seems that the GIAC is more aggressive than the APR, I think I'm edging towards the APR because it is a bit more conservative and I want to keep my car for quite a few years. But your comments on the GIAC being smoother are interesting...... Could you give any more insight on comparing the 2 chips.

Also, regarding getting the DV replaced when it blew, where you able to get this done under warranty or did the fact that the car was chipped mean you had to pay for the replacement?

Thanks again for your input, any more info much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

IML337

bahnstorming
hahaha talk to minigolf about his unichip experience with a golf

I'd go with the european/american developers on this one damo, the locals just don't have the time or resources to do it properly on a car like ours

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Damo, in my experience, as Tim suggests, I'd make sure you do a lot of research with Unichip before going that way for your GTI.

I had a Unichip fitted to my old Mk4 1.8T and while the overall outcome of more power and more fun was achieved, it wasn't really that simple I'm afraid. To me it seems Unichip comes down to your tuner as much as anything. If they encounter a few problems and have no experience tuning the car in question then their abilities to problem solve are based on guess work, no matter how educated it may be, and not real world experience.

The biggest issue I had on the Mk4 was when backing off at 30-80% throttle input. The car just could not release power smoothly, there was this terrible jerky effect that was a right PITA. At wot it was fine. The shop that did the tuning had several attempts at rectifying the problem and ultimately could not do it. They wouldn't refund my money either. So, overall I was left a bit unhappy. Although, from anecdotal evidence and hindsight, this may be as much due to the tuner as it was the product at hand.

The point is though, that the GIAC/APR/Oettinger type solutiuons, while basically plug and play, are backed by plenty of real world evidence to suggest that they work and work damn well. Moreover, they have been developed specifically on and for the VAG 2.0T powerplant, rather than a come one come all approach.

I can understand the theory behind the custom tunability of the Unichip, and for the Rex fraternity which would have far more experience and information behind them with Unichip I can see why it works in that context. I'm just not as convinced it's the right option for a GTI.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Liam

damo

Oval Newbie
I can understand the theory behind the custom tunability of the Unichip, and for the Rex fraternity which would have far more experience and information behind them with Unichip I can see why it works in that context. I'm just not as convinced it's the right option for a GTI.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Liam
Yeah ive only been using it on a few different sooob engines as im sure you know most are used, it did worked great though. I'm just over exausts nd shit so i will probably go with a bigger turbo and cold air intake and filter and to tune that combination i think there will be an amount of guess work as well. But having said that your comments obviously make a lot of sense and are correct, i will keep them in mind for later on when i need to make a decision.

Thanks for the help
Damo :thumbsup:

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
G'day dave,

Ive got the Oettinger Upgrade (Same as APR), and had some trouble with mine after about 8 months. Mind you mine is an 05 model, so had the earlier valve which has been replaced now with the bettered C Version.

Cheers,
Tiny.......

Hey Tiny,

Thinking about APR or GIAC for my GTI with DSG.

But have been concerned with the myth that the DSG gearbox not being able to handle the extra torque (after chipping) that's above it's official limit.

Have you or any others that have DSG had any problems after chipping. Or is it going to be something that conveniently will show up straight after the warranty period runs out?

But is there a bit more required with APR or GIAC chips for those with DSG (even if its at an additional cost to the owner).

Interestingly the new Audi S3 does not come with DSG at present, which fuels this concern in the back of my mind.

Hey Tiny,

Thinking about APR or GIAC for my GTI with DSG.

But have been concerned with the myth that the DSG gearbox not being able to handle the extra torque (after chipping) that's above it's official limit.

Have you or any others that have DSG had any problems after chipping. Or is it going to be something that conveniently will show up straight after the warranty period runs out?

But is there a bit more required with APR or GIAC chips for those with DSG (even if its at an additional cost to the owner).

Interestingly the new Audi S3 does not come with DSG at present, which fuels this concern in the back of my mind.

I was contacted by my local VW dealership 3 weeks ago informing me that they were doing the APR chip on cars at the dealership. Harding Performance apparently will come up and doi it there.

You would have to think if VW are contacting customers infororming them of the mods, then there wouldnt be a problem with the gearboxes letting go.

BTW - one more cross on Wippels report card for not following up the call with me on the day the tunes were getting done :(

Tiny Gti

Banned
Car(s)
05 GTI MKV DSG 5DR
Tiny where are they in Sydney, you've obviously been in cars with both have you, a bit more punch ? quicker ? or just smoother overall ?
I am waiting for Unichip to develop a program. Ive been using them for a few years and very happy with there tunabillity, but if i find something i like beforehand i might go with it.

Thanks
Damo

GIAC is done by Professor Seb at Euromotive at: Unit A6, 16A Amax Ave, Girraween NSW 2145 Ph: 0410-541-322

OETTINGER is done by Paul at Muller & Muller, 999 Canterbury Rd, Lakemba NSW 2195 Ph: 9759-1818 ( They are a german family business who have been there for about 40years, so dont be detered by location) Paul can also do APR products as they are the same, as can Derek at European Autotech in Dee Why, but personally I dont deal with them as they were not very helpfull to me when I was looking to get chipped, but thats just me. I know others are happy with them.

Yes I have been in cars with both products, I found that until I put the Exhaust on the car would go off boost, and out of its torque curve, its perfect with the exhaust, like the programme is made to work with the exhaust.
With the GIAC its get in and go. Very smooth, perfect shift points, totally progressive and linear, and definately more torque and power from the second you touch the accelerator. My mate is close to neck and neck with me just with GIAC and Ive got Chip,exhaust, and Intake.
With the power APR claim 188kw and Oettinger state 176kw yet they are the same product. GIAC was 184kw but latest programme is closer to 190kw. After experience with both APR/Oettinger feels more like the 176kw figure compared to the GIAC.
Another thing is the $$$ which is a big consideration. APR and OETTINGER are no change from $2000, with GIAC at $1650.

:burnrubber: :burnrubber: :burnrubber: