GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blanked out number plates

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Just curious, l often notice that members block out their number plates when posting pictures of their cars. Why is this done?

By the way, for Victorian members, my custom plates are for sale...MK5GTI. Please refer the official For Sale thread if you're interested.

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
personal security i guess.

Well yes, l realise that, but, l cannot think how anyone could have any impact on your security just by seeing your car's number plate on the internet.

After all, you don't drive around with your plates covered. They're there for everyone to see.

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
There have been several cases (in Vic and NSW) of people having their plate copied ... by someone else with an identical car - and facing speed fines they have a hard time proving are NOT theirs (when have you found it easy to deal with the RTA :mad: ??). Fake plates and petrol theft was also on the increase.

- M -

Hong Chau

Banned
good point mission

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I have way too many pics of the cars I've owned with their number plates exposed that it's too much effort to even worry about it. :laugh:

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
As someone who does this, it can be two things,

1: You want to make your license plate look cooler (name that isn't really available)
2 : If your car is modded (or maybe just rare), someone can't plug your license plate # into a database and find out exactly where you live so they can come and steal the car.

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
As someone who does this, it can be two things,

1: You want to make your license plate look cooler (name that isn't really available)
2 : If your car is modded (or maybe just rare), someone can't plug your license plate # into a database and find out exactly where you live so they can come and steal the car.

3: If you piss someone off on this forum, you don't want them to run their keys along your side panels. Show your number plate and there maybe a slight chance your car could be spotted.

4: I've noticed most people advertise their mods. Your car becomes a mobile spare parts unit, if things get desperate.

I just had the end clips on my front and back wipers literally swiped over the long weekend. Fcuken b@$t@rds! :mad:

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
The police monitor a lot of the car forums. It's not that bad on this one but I've been a member of Ford and Holden sites where you get idiots advertising their stupid behavour. As a lot of the cars were modified, the police used to turn up to the meeting places advertised on the forums and go over them.

It's just easier to hide the plates so you aren't advertising yourself or the car. As aussiegti mentioned, with modded cars you are also helping the people out for cheap parts.

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
The police monitor a lot of the car forums. It's not that bad on this one but I've been a member of Ford and Holden sites where you get idiots advertising their stupid behavour. As a lot of the cars were modified, the police used to turn up to the meeting places advertised on the forums and go over them.

There appears to be more proof of what Jamie has said:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14008

This time the Nissan Silvia forum!