GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jerky DSG

golfie

Hello!

I have had my GTi for a month now and has done 2000kms (yeh gets driven a fair bit). I don't drive the car hard but lately I have noticed when in tiptronic mode the DSG is jerky on upshifts - not all the time but I have noticed it. Is anyone else having the same issue? Is it normal as in the upshift wil be jerky say for example if you change low down in the rev range or you take your foot off the accelerator when changing or something like that? I can't explain it there is not set pattern to it. :iono:

Thanks!

jaush

Aus Liebe zum Automobil
Car(s)
R32
Hello!

I have had my GTi for a month now and has done 2000kms (yeh gets driven a fair bit). I don't drive the car hard but lately I have noticed when in tiptronic mode the DSG is jerky on upshifts - not all the time but I have noticed it. Is anyone else having the same issue? Is it normal as in the upshift wil be jerky say for example if you change low down in the rev range or you take your foot off the accelerator when changing or something like that? I can't explain it there is not set pattern to it. :iono:

Thanks!

Yup... Pretty sure it's normal. And I wouldn't call it jerky... They're just a lot more forceful than the silky smooth ones in D...

Below 3000rpm, if shifting up with your foot down, you'll find them to be slightly harsher than if you had upshifted at say 3.500rpm.... And you'll find that even in D, if you're rolling around in traffic at low speeds and lift off the accelerator while the car's changing from 1 > 2, it'll sometimes get a little unsure and just slam the clutch down.

Hong Chau

Banned
yeh. what he said.
if your on the gas it shifts smoothly and quickly.
if you change while off it, it's slow to engage and feels like a shunt.

but the dsg will start shifting to your driving style. you'll find that it'll smooth itself out.

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
If you are worried about it, take it back to your dealer to give you some peace of mind.

I don't find it jerky at all whether driving hard or potting around town. I think it's the smoothest gearbox I've ever used. I do agree with the others though that the DSG can be a little harsh when putting the foot down then suddenly lifting off when it's in the process of changing up.

TinTin

i only hav 250ks on mine. i find that if i shift upto 4 it rudely knocks me back to 3rd if my speed drops.
What do people mean by the DSG adapting to driving style after a while ??

nike61

Ready to race!
i only hav 250ks on mine. i find that if i shift upto 4 it rudely knocks me back to 3rd if my speed drops.
What do people mean by the DSG adapting to driving style after a while ??
TinTin
If you leave in "D" all the time, after a while the car memorises how you drive and then reacts accordingly. So if you drive hard and upshifts occur swiftly, then it will continue to do so.
I have driven only in "M" since new, so it react to how I manually change up or down, but the odd time I drive in "D" it reacts totally different as it have not adopted to my style of driving. :clap: