GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having problems fitting the ECS front cover onto my MK5

prodigue

Avantgarde
The ECS front cover just arrived and it has already giving me headaches. The hood cover is a snap to install but the bumper cover is just ridiculous.

When I try to fit it on, it seems like it's way smaller than the bumper of my MK5 GTI. I tried stretching it but leather doesn't give much slack.

Don't tell me the U.S Golfs have a smaller front? I don't think so right. Anyone who is using this please shout out your experience. Thankew!

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
hey what is the ECS front cover

prodigue

Avantgarde
Managed to fit them on. It's a bloody tight fit and the fact that it's leather means that it's a bitch to stretch. Had to get my friend to help out.

Here it is:

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
no more rocks for you...

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
anyone tried that clear 3M contact stuff on the front of their cars before??

dodgey

Not a VW owner
I thought about it, and enquired about it through OziCozi (Andrew Jackson is a champ as I had a lot of questions), but in the end, with Christmas coming along, I didn't have the funds.

They do work well on the Minis though, but I'm wondering, with the sloping bonnet of the GTI, even with the film on, it might just push the chips further up the bonnet instead...

They also do it for the mirrors and the rear too!

Last edited:

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
I thought about it, and enquired about it through OziCozi (Andrew Jackson is a champ as I had a lot of questions), but in the end, with Christmas coming along, I didn't have the funds.

They do work well on the Minis though, but I'm wondering, with the sloping bonnet of the GTI, even with the film on, it might just push the chips further up the bonnet instead...

They also do it for the mirrors and the rear too!

I enquired about a similar or if not same product through Polaris and the standard package (which wasn't cheap from memory) only covered lower bumper and front edge of the bonnet.

With the GTI, I find the chips are happening higher up the bonnet and on the front wheel arches that stick out.

Saw the 3M film on the owners' Jag and it does make the area covered darker in colour (from a distance).

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
The ECS front cover just arrived and it has already giving me headaches. The hood cover is a snap to install but the bumper cover is just ridiculous.

When I try to fit it on, it seems like it's way smaller than the bumper of my MK5 GTI. I tried stretching it but leather doesn't give much slack.

Don't tell me the U.S Golfs have a smaller front? I don't think so right. Anyone who is using this please shout out your experience. Thankew!
Put your back into it, it will fit. Did you put the velcro pieces in the correct positions?

US Golf's don't have a smaller front. :tongue: Just annoyingly oversized plates, dumb blinkers on the sides of the bumper and standard Xenons - which they have had to make holes for on the cover! :mad:
I had to use the piece from the license plate to cover the headlight washer and blinker cut-outs.

dodgey

Not a VW owner
OziCozi pricing was pretty good considering.

My quote was for front of bonnet, bumper, side mirrors, and the top of rear bumper. That was under $500.00 and it uses the 3M film.

Now that it is after Christmas (no money yet) my worry is that it will probably bounce off the film and chip either further up the bonnet or even the windscreen.

Still thinking about it though

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't have one on for everyday driving, but great idea on a long trip. Beats stone chips.

Shame about the little cutouts for the ghey DOT side markers... I'd be pissed if I got a stone chip there..

Last edited: