GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV, hitch compatible?

errorini

Oval Newbie
I'm almost positive i'm going to get a GTI before the end of june. I have a question though, I have a Jetski, and i'm wondering if i'd be able to put a hitch on the MKV, or is it far too low the ground? I don't doubt it has the power or weight to pull it out of the water, but.. yeah, the hitch.

Thanks.

car

Autocross Champion
There is a pretty extensive section in the manual about towing with a ball hitch, so I imagine it would be okay, but I can't really say because I've never towed a thing in my life. You may try to take a look at a manual at a dealer.
Sorry I wasn't as helpful as the responder above. :wink:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I really wouldn't put a hitch on this car before you contact your service guy at VW.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
your GTI will have enought weight and power to rip that jet ski trailer out of the water like youve never seen befor. Get real this thing has 200+ pounds of tourqe. I think the manual says max trailer towing weight is only 1000 pounds thou. Even if your over that i think you should be fine. Just dont dawg the car when yer trailering.

errorini

Oval Newbie
Thanks guys, i'm going to the dealer today most likely to take my first "in real life" look at them. It's good to know they have the option in Germany, now i'm not doubting the MKV at all.

And yeah, I don't doubt it's ability at all to pull the ski, just didn't know if they had a hitch option, or if it was even possible to get a hitch on it. I'm going to go with first party.

Thanks again.

Kurupt-MK5 said:
thats rediculous dont use your gti to yank around a jetski... thats the most aweful thing i have ever heard of!
Shhh, the grown-ups are talking.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
what? can i not put my two cent in around here i thought this was a forum... all i am saying is MY opinion about what I would do with MY car... isnt that what 2 cent is all about... i donno but whatever thanks for erasing my stuff seeing that he came back with a smart response which by the way if a so called "grown-up" would say what he said then he would just be contradicting himself by making a rediculous remark. so what if i wanted to fire back... sorry for posting my opinion which was that a GTI should not be used as a hauler... just incase yall couldnt see that through the way i typed it.
again THANK YOU

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Kurupt-MK5 said:
t a GTI should not be used as a hauler...

Exactly. You don't hear Bob Seger playing in the background of VW commercials for a reason. The only thing the GTI is meant to haul is ass, and it does passes that test with flying colors. Though in the past a hatchback could be considered a small minivan, that's not the case for a GTI. You don't see many yuppies towing their trailer home with their porsche 911.

errorini

Oval Newbie
Scotaku said:
Are you trying to be the first one banned off these forums or is it just coming naturally? Seriously, dude. Didn't you mother ever tell you if you haven't got something nice to say, keep it to yourself?
I'm not sure if this was to me or kurrupt? So i'll explain myself, just incase i'm giving the wrong impression.

Basically, i'm not found of "opinions" that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. My question wasn't "HUR HUR, will I look cool towing a Jetski!? Hur hur". If it was, then by all means, I would't have mind Kurupt's "opinion" at all. Instead, I get a bash of sorts for what I believe is a very valid question. This is a forum about the MKV, which seems to be the all around car. Just because it's turbo'd, I don't think that we should have the mentality that it can only drive in straight lines. It comes down to, if you want to act like a child, you'll be treated as one.

To the comment about the Porsche. This is a Golf, not a Porsche. Again, that wasn't my question.

So, to the people that actually *helped* me get an answer, thanks. You're valuable assests to a good forum. Expect more lurking from me. =)

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Jetskis are cool.
Befits the character of a GTI to pull one about. Something fast pulling something fast.
Makes sense to me.
That's all.

/got nutthin'

Sigfod

Ready to race!
I hate you European GTI owners you get blue we didn't get Blue as an option. :mad:

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Kurupt-MK5 said:
what? can i not put my two cent in around here i thought this was a forum... all i am saying is MY opinion about what I would do with MY car... isnt that what 2 cent is all about... i donno but whatever thanks for erasing my stuff seeing that he came back with a smart response which by the way if a so called "grown-up" would say what he said then he would just be contradicting himself by making a rediculous remark. so what if i wanted to fire back... sorry for posting my opinion which was that a GTI should not be used as a hauler... just incase yall couldnt see that through the way i typed it.
again THANK YOU

Well. there some of us who want the tow hitch for track/autocrossing purposes. Basic tools and 4 race day tires/rims. Comes out to a 500-1000lb trailer and it makes life easy. Tires and tools to race day without having to get the car excessivly dirty on the inside.