GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to break-in a new car

SideFX

Black and White
Hi guys and gals,

I've ordered a 2.0 FSI on the weekend and should be getting the delivery by the end of this month. Can't wait :tongue:

I have a question, what is the best way to break a car in? or should I say the engine...
I've been told by a mate that I should drive it gently and avoid exceeding 3000 rpm for at least the first 500km. I did some googling and found this site: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

So do I thrash it after warming up or drive like a granny?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
You can't go wrong by following the handbook..

Do a bit of a search :thumbsup:

This has been done to death...

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Congrats on the new order Side.

IMO give the car a few hundred kms to bed in the brakes, tyres and so on. Then if the car is nice and warm feel free to let 'er rip. :thumbsup:

:burnrubber:

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
You can drive it more freely when the engine is warmed up. Just take note for the first 500kms to take the other bits easy like a few suggested. While the engine needs to be bedded in, the clutch, brakes and the most important tyres are not bedded/scrubbed in, so take your time to do so. Just remember to cool down the car if you do take it for a exercise.

There's also run in instructions in the handbook.

I heard somewhere that VW engines are pre-run in before they are fitted to the car, so I think more important is to pile up the mileage to bed in brakes and tyres and clutch than driving it hard.

damo

Oval Newbie
IMO give the car a few hundred kms to bed in the brakes, tyres and so on. Then if the car is nice and warm feel free to let 'er rip. :thumbsup:

Thats how ive always done it and always had quicker cars in comparison to the same model driven by somebody else and never had an engine problem to date, its not like the 70's and 80's all of these engines have been bench tested for hours and hours, if the fluids are up to temp go to town :thumbsup: always let it cool down after a good thrash for the first 1000km or so, most important is the brakes a couple of hundred km's to bed them in and you will be fine. You dont want any problems with them.

dodgey

Not a VW owner
Congrats on the new order Side.

:thumbsup: This is what I did with mine. So far, so good!!

SideFX

Black and White
Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbsup: , I think I'll just take it easy for teh first few hundred kms and then see what a non-turbo 2 litre can dish out...:biggrin:
Cheers!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Drive it like you stole it!