GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil change??

sooblack

Ready to race!
newbie here..
i would like to know what brand of oil should i use??
should i use synthetic or fully synthetic??
i heard mobil is good but there are many kind..like 0w30 etc..
what's the different between all of them..
thanks..

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
5w40 is what is recommended for Euro spec cars.
I'm pretty sure 0w30 will be fine since another guy on this forum says he used it for his Audi.

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
Oil change

You should use an oil that meets VW's 502.00 standard. In the Mobil 1 product line that means 0W-40, its the only Mobil 1 that meets 502.00

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in the German formula meets 502.00 but its near impossible to find. Some have luck finding it at Autozone. It must say made in Germany on the back of the bottle.

All oil meeting 502.00 is synthetic.

David

excal06

Autocross Champion
And do you guys do oil change at 5000 mile? Or is it better to change the oil after the breakin preiod i.e. 1000 miles

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
Amsoil 0w30

bilbos

On the Kop
excal06 said:
And do you guys do oil change at 5000 mile? Or is it better to change the oil after the breakin preiod i.e. 1000 miles

I believe the oil change schedule (per the service book) is 1st at 5000, 2nd at 10000, 3rd at 20000.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I'd go with Amsoil 5w40 or the 0w30 both would work great... the 5w40 is less expensive and is specific to the VW 502.00 standards.

Always go with a pure synthetic as the blends are regular oil based and don't have the protection for our engines/turbos. Amsoil is the best there is. Mobil 1 is a good oil don't get me wrong... but would you put the best in your engine or just settle for good?

Do a search in here and you'll seem my oil deal offer to members only and you can have it delivered to your door. If you are interested P.M. and we can chat. Always happy to help!

And as always feel free to visit my site for the facts on oil comparisons and our product info.

bilbos

On the Kop
I still don't get this every 3000 mile oil change that seems to be common in the US.
Don't get me wrong, there can't be any harm in doing it, but both my previous Audi's were on extended service programs and could "go" 19000 miles between oil changes.
So my question is, why the big difference?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
As an Amsoil guy... I've been doing mine every 12.5K or 6 months whichever comes first. Using OUR Oil Filter (created for Long drain intervals) and the 0w30 Synthetic Oil we have.

Now we have our new Ea Oil Filters that last 25K... although having a modded Audi w/ 1.8t, I just play it even more safe and do the 12.5K or 6 mo.

You must keep in mind that cars of long ago (before O2 sensors and other related emissons came about) used to run about 180 degrees F.... Now it's not uncommon to see 210-230 F in our newer cars. The cars are buring cleaner and polluting way less and your insides are staying much cleaner too! And if you are running Regular oil... it's breaking it down that much faster.

It's a must to run Synthetic no matter who's brand you choose! Regular oil was intended for the old 180 degree engine temp cars (and there's wax in it, that creates sludge and varnish -- build up), it was okay for the times, yet didn't really offer the protection of the PURE Synthetic that's on the market today.

Unfortunately Amsoil has not developed the Oil Filter yet for this new car. I sell tons of the one for the 1.8t's.
Our oil works great with the OEM filter "for the manufactures recommended drain interval."

Once we come out with the new filter I will inform everyone here.

And stay away from the Quick Lube joints. Even though they change the regular oil every 2-3K... there's still little protection in there for todays hot running engine.

Happy Motoring!

sooblack

Ready to race!
i wanna go to track with my friend on april 22
but now my car has only 650..
do u guys think i should go to track ??
if i am goin, do u guys think i should oil change first few days before track day??
thanks