GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

had a thought

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
have a standard golf s which was bought new in Feb06 for 12k. havent done many miles on it, about 3700.

anyway a 180hp 2002 GTI would cost about 12k to buy 2nd hand. do u reckon it could be an idea to exchange my car for that? its only 20hp short of the MK5 BHP. do u reckon they would hold their value well?

have to admit tho im quite hesitant about buying 2nd hand. its a risk, u dont know about the condition of the car or whether it could go wrong. but then you can get a nice car for a bargain.

cmdrfire

What engine is in the 2002 GTI? If it's not the 1.8T with the K03s (not a regular K03, which is underpowered) I wouldn't bother frankly.
Some mk4s can be done up really nicely, but I think you'll miss a lot of the nice little features included in the mkV, plus the vast interior space.

I'd rather the mk5, in any case. Up to you whether or not you want that extra power/extra insurance cost ;)

newtogolf

i beleive the anniversary edition is the 1.8T. its a tough decision and the fact that its an old model, whichever way u look at it.

cmdrfire

i beleive the anniversary edition is the 1.8T. its a tough decision and the fact that its an old model, whichever way u look at it.

There were two versions of the 1.8T... one with a K03 and one with a K03s (same turbo as in the Mk5 GTI). I think that the Anni edition had the K03s all throughout, though I honestly can't remember.
I'd stick with your Golf mate in all honesty, the 1.6 is a decent enough engine as it is, and the extra size/comfort would be missed (I think)

cmdrfire

hes got the same as me thou.. the 1.4..

Ah, I thought he had a 1.6... in which case surely the insurance jump from 75bhp to 180bhp would be riduculously high, especially if you've never driven a car with so much power before?
I don't remember what cat the Mk4 GTI Anni is, but the Mk5 is Cat 18, so I'd expect the Mk4 to be somewhere around Cat 16-18.

newtogolf

the 1.4 is Cat 4 i think. thing is im gona be a 25 year old in a few weeks time so that should get the insurance down, given ive been driving for about 7 years. insurance on my car is quite low anyway. its at about £400.

woody

Sell yours, spend a few grand on a mk3vr6 and spend all the money you saved on your new fuel bill.

Smiles per gallon with the vr6 my friend!!

Ok, wrong forum for that. If you were seriously looking at the mk4 gti then you need to be willing to mod a bit ot get the most from that engine. They're ok as standard but they were built to be fiddled with, a few hundred quid on a remap will see some fresh ponies flying from your engine bay, add a stainless and some breathing apparatus and you're away. Spend a grand (zorst/springs/remap/filter) and it'll be a completely different car...for the better.

TheMilko

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf GT
the 1.4 is Cat 4 i think. thing is im gona be a 25 year old in a few weeks time so that should get the insurance down, given ive been driving for about 7 years. insurance on my car is quite low anyway. its at about £400.

I'm only paying that on our new 2.0TDI GT and thats Cat 13 with protected no-claims & recovery. Surley you could shop around and get a better deal than that.

newtogolf

down to about £340 now as a turned 25 a few weeks ago.

thing is that although ive been driving for over 7 years, this car was the first car ive had my own insurance for. so the insurance company dont give me discounts for being an "experienced driver".

basically i dont think i can get it cheaper so not gonna bother hunting.

i dont think id bother with the MK3 VR6. just not a fan of that era of the golf.