GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CHP Ticket: Modified exhaust

troobie

Car(s)
07 GTI
On Jan. 1 I was driving on CA 70 just south of Quincy in the Sierra Nevadas. I pass a CHP officer sitting on the side of the road in the opposite lane. He pulls me over for 1.) No front plate 2.) Exhaust too loud. He asked why I modified my exhaust. I told him all I had done was to take off the resonator, the muffler was still there. He said I could not modify my exhaust to make it louder than stock :eek: (WRONG) and he gave me a NON-fix-it ticket. I asked what the noise level was that I could not exceed, in other words how many decibels is too loud. He said that really didn't apply to passenger vehicles (wrong?).

I have done some online research and found that you can modify your exhaust (not including the catalytic converter) as long as it does not exceed 95 decibels. I also discovered that I have the right to take my car to a referee station because I have received a citation (at my cost) and have it tested to see if it exceeds 95 decibels.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this?

The officer said that until this was corrected, I could be cited by any officer at anytime. I can keep racking up tickets for this at their discretion.

PLEASE, don't talk out of your ass. In other words, don't post what you have heard. Lets please stick with facts.

Thanks.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

27150.7. A court may dismiss any action in which a person is
prosecuted for operating a vehicle in violation of Section 27150 or
27151 if a certificate of compliance has been issued by a station
pursuant to Section 27150.2, or if the defendant had reasonable
grounds to believe that the exhaust system was in good working order
and had reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not
operated in violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

th3gh05t

You can't see the ghost.
Car(s)
05 SG GTI
Where did you find that CA Law information?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The decibel level should be from a given distance too. Around here Coffee can exhaust tips/mufflers are an easy one for them to pull you over.

Also, a friend is a state patrol officer and they site you for those tinted tail lights and aftermarket tail lights too!

My wife got ticketed for a tinted license plate cover on the rear plate.

troobie

Car(s)
07 GTI
Thanks for the info dpham00! :thumbup:

I was cited for violating 27151 of the CA vehicle code (see above).

I had done some other digging online about this and found the following article:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8132

"The end of August marked the one-year anniversary of California’s exhaust-noise testing program. The California Bureau of Automotive Repair reports that about 90% of the approximately 3,000 vehicles that have undergone the state’s exhaust-noise test have been certified to be in compliance with California law. :eek: The program is the result of a SAN-sponsored law that allows California hobbyists to prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards.

"This information validates our long-held contention that a vast majority of citations written for violation of California's exhaust noise laws are, in fact, erroneous," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. “For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers has deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels met state standards.”

The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. Under the program, the 40 Smog Check stations statewide that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations are issuing certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95-decibels, under SAE test procedure J1169. However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation are permitted to submit their vehicle for the test.

“Motorists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance prefer aftermarket exhaust systems,” McDonald added. By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program is proving to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.”

BAR has yet to issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests are currently being performed at no cost to consumers. BAR has established a toll free number to accept phone calls from cited motorists who wish to have the test performed (800-622-7733). BAR officials have asked that cited motorists have the citation and vehicle registration information available when calling.

SEMA represents the $29 billion specialty automotive industry. Founded in 1963, the trade association has 5,727 member companies. It is the authoritative source of research data, trends and market growth information for automakers and the specialty auto products industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger cars, minivans, trucks, SUVs and recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA, 91765-3914; call 909/396-0289; or visit
www.sema.org or www.enjoythedrive.com."

I called the number to schedule an appointment, but the offices are closed until Monday. However, the number does get you through to BAR for scheduling an appointment. I'll keep this thread updated.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Why do people put up with all the BS laws California has? Most states have no emissions tests, no rules on cats, no rules on exhaust DB levels. AND we get 93 octane. I'd say get a petition going and write your local congressman.