GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with editing (n00b content)

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I've been trying to get into photography, and I would say that I can take decent shots in the daytime, but I'm horrible at night.

I made an attempt at editing a night shot to make it look a bit cleaner...here's a before and after

BEFORE
DSC_0173.jpg

AFTER
DSC_0173 copy.jpg

The shot isn't great to begin with, but I'm just looking for some pointers on where to start when editing a picture like that...or any picture in general lol.

Edit: I'm using Photoshop CS2

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
You did a good job, I learned by just playing with the settings. Try to make the picture look what you saw when you were there. What kind of camera are you using? It look likes you need to turn the ISO down if you can.

I agree. It looks a tad on the grainy side IMHO. Shoot w/ as low of an ISO as you can. Also, something I just learned recently, shoot in RAW format if you can. You get better results and better clarity that way. Then you can use Adobe's Camera RAW (should come w/ PS) to make adjustments to your pics. I just started doing this and it really makes a world of difference!

Examples: Shot w/ a Nikon D5000 with 50mm f/1.8 (1st pic) and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lense (2nd pic), both at ISO100

Shot in JPEG Format:

-jakrbt-(1024x680).JPG

Shot in RAW and edited in Camera RAW:

Courtyard.JPG

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the advice guys!

I was using a Nikon D40 and I'm pretty sure the lens on there is an 18-55mm. I dunno much about it since it's my sisters camera. Just experimenting before I get my own. I did forget to change the ISO setting since it was freezing balls outside (around 10 degrees) so I just quickly took the pic and ran back in the car lol.

Btw rakrbt, how do I shoot in RAW format?

-jakrbt-

Thanks for the advice guys!

I was using a Nikon D40 and I'm pretty sure the lens on there is an 18-55mm. I dunno much about it since it's my sisters camera. Just experimenting before I get my own. I did forget to change the ISO setting since it was freezing balls outside (around 10 degrees) so I just quickly took the pic and ran back in the car lol.

Btw rakrbt, how do I shoot in RAW format?

That's basically what my D5000 is, just with a few more features and the useful flip-down/swivel LCD screen. There's a setting in the menu where you can choose what format to shoot in. It should be labeled something like NEF or something like that. It's in the camera settings menu.

slideordie

The two most important attributes of a photograph are missing; composition and lighting. These two things should be continually going round in your head when you're framing a shot. Is the composition interesting and what way is it being lit.

Really all you have done with your edit is to add noise and remove colour. Shooting at night is difficult due to the lack of light, try going somewhere interesting and shooting during the day. Use a polarising filter to eliminate reflections off the paint work and windows, which you can see in that pic above.

Also, endeavour to get an image you are happy with straight from the camera, don;t rely on having to edit it in to something better.

-jakrbt-

The two most important attributes of a photograph are missing; composition and lighting. These two things should be continually going round in your head when you're framing a shot. Is the composition interesting and what way is it being lit.

Really all you have done with your edit is to add noise and remove colour. Shooting at night is difficult due to the lack of light, try going somewhere interesting and shooting during the day. Use a polarising filter to eliminate reflections off the paint work and windows, which you can see in that pic above.

Also, endeavour to get an image you are happy with straight from the camera, don;t rely on having to edit it in to something better.

Not entirely correct. Yes, composition and lighting are the most important aspects of any photograph, but you can compensate for lack of light with longer shutter speeds.

I don't believe the OP "added noise" to the picture. It came off the camera that way due to a high ISO being used.

slideordie

Not entirely correct. Yes, composition and lighting are the most important aspects of any photograph, but you can compensate for lack of light with longer shutter speeds.

I don't believe the OP "added noise" to the picture. It came off the camera that way due to a high ISO being used.

He brought out a load of noise in the image by whatever method he used to "brighten" it up. Of course he didn't physically add noise to the image, well, unless he used that particular filter in PS.

I'm not talking about the amount of light, I mean the actual way the subject is being lit by either natural sunlight or artificial light. eg. shooting at sunrise and sunset and orientating the car so the sun is lighting the side of the car you are shooting and isn't causing glare/lens flare.

-jakrbt-

He brought out a load of noise in the image by whatever method he used to "brighten" it up. Of course he didn't physically add noise to the image, well, unless he used that particular filter in PS.

I'm not talking about the amount of light, I mean the actual way the subject is being lit by either natural sunlight or artificial light. eg. shooting at sunrise and sunset and orientating the car so the sun is lighting the side of the car you are shooting and isn't causing glare/lens flare.

I see your point. Lighting angle is definitely important.