GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

traction issues with stage 2???

projectquick

Ready to race!
Hi, I'm new to the forums and to Vs so I figured I'd ask a question before I get my MkV and start modifying. Here's the question, of the people that run stage 2 on their cars I was wondering how the drive-ability of the car is affected? I read the stickies about all the mods but couldn't find how they affect everyday driving. I wanted to know how the car behaves in bad weather, how much wheelspin to expect on stock street tires, if there are any remedies to poor traction other than an LSD or wider tires. All the basic stuff about driving a stage 2 MkV GTI on a day to day basis. If this is in the wrong section I apologize and feel free to move it to an appropriate section

huy

Retired Racer
lol, you have traction issues stock if you floor it. beyond stock, 1st and 2nd gear become almost useless to floor it in. driven normally, rain isn't an issue. i tried taking off lightly from a stop in gravel and got some spin, but it was able to go.

Voices Off Camera

Ready to race!
Personally, the driveability is not impacted that much. If you drive like you should be driving in the wet, you shouldn't have any issues stock or stage 2. Conversely, if you hammer it stock or stage 2, you will have issues. ESP is there to help as well, for what it is worth. It isn't like stage 2 makes the car spin just by breathing on the throttle.

As far as improving traction, you should consider tires, suspension, and mounts (dogbone and/or engine). LSD is an option, but it is $$$ and you don't see many people running one.

forzajuve

Forza Azzurri!
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
mine is a stage 3, so even more power on those front wheels. the car is very manageable, mine is a daily driver, but the previous comments are right ... lots of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd (even 3rd sometimes) if you gun the car. But if you take it easy you don't have to have wheelspin. Even as daily driver everyonce in a while I still gun it though because it is so much fun :)

As for better tires for traction, that I am still trying to figure it out....

utekineir

Banned
if you're the kind of inbred retard nitwit that only sees the gas pedal as all or nothing i can see how a 240 or so hp car may have traction issues.

those that understand a throttle is an analog input don't have that issue.

projectquick

Ready to race!
not an inbred retard nitwit lol, but this is going to be my first FWD car, and I've only driven FWD cars with like 115hp before. I was just checking about how controlable wheelspin would be with the HP and TQ a modified turbo FWD car would be. How is ride quality with aftermarket mounts? A friend runs solid trans and engine mounts in his turbo fox and I have to say it's pretty unforgiving as far as being a daily driver.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Stock isn't bad. Leave the ESP on. As soon as you go Stage 1, the traction control will make the car fall flat on its face if you need to take off briskly from a stop and turn. I shut it off when I need to make left-hand turns out of my street or parking lot, unless nothing is coming. You can easily spin the tires up to 45. With Stage 2 it's a little worse. With Stage 3 you're talking about spinning in 3rd. All this is when you are driving briskly. Be very easy with the go pedal and you'll be fine. But you won't :)

Seriouschris

<3's vaginas
Car(s)
Your mom
It's horrible even at stage one.
As soon as my clutch grabs the car splodes :frown:

For normal driving and wet-weather driving I just stay out of the boost range and shift at 1500 rpm. The car is completely manageable. I drove around the block in 6 inches of snow with summer tires on just to try it. If I gained traction there you'll be fine if you know how to drive.

projectquick

Ready to race!
I'm in the market for an MkV GTI and was wondering if the extra cost of the 2009 models is actually worth it to get the TSI engine instead of the earlier FSI equiped cars. I most likely wont be getting the car until May or June of 2010 after I get outta boot camp so both won't be the latest model anymore and I'm sure the price will drop off a little. For the most part the differences between the two are pretty negligable when considering the fact that little fixes for the FSI won't really be a problem if I can do them myself.

Seriouschris

<3's vaginas
Car(s)
Your mom
Good question and you kinda answered it yourself.
Timing chain > timing belt for one.

Try searching as there is a LOT of info already here that answers many of the questions you'll have.

Shan15

Ready to race!
if you're the kind of inbred retard nitwit that only sees the gas pedal as all or nothing i can see how a 240 or so hp car may have traction issues.

those that understand a throttle is an analog input don't have that issue.

dude seriously learn to talk to people.

you really suck at communicating, every post you make you come off as an ignorant self indulged idiot.

projectquick

Ready to race!
Good question and you kinda answered it yourself.
Timing chain > timing belt for one.

Try searching as there is a LOT of info already here that answers many of the questions you'll have.

Actually I did a couple searches and found mostly the technical differences, I was looking for more opinions of the two from people that maybe owned both. You're right though, I'll search more next time for my answers before posting.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I would get the TSI, because it has a timing chain, better fuel pump, and the dam air filter isn't inside the engine cover. If at the time I needed a car I was able to find a 2009 with the options I wanted, I would have bought it instead of a 2007.