GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zaino on my TR GTI

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I decided to spend the day on mine and gave it the full Zaino treatment. Normally I use a product called Swissol which being a natural product gives a deeper wetter shine. I had some Zaino in the garage so I thought I'd see how it looked.

1. Washed with Dishwashing liquid to remove the old product.
2. Wiped down with Z6
3. 3 x Z5 with Z6 between each coat. Was only planning on 2 layers I had too much product left over.
4. 3 x Z2 with Z6 in between each layer
5. Final wipe over with Z8

I'm a very keen amateur dealer and it was all done by hand, so I'm going to pay for it tomorrow!

I'm very happy with the results. I tried to get some reflective shots but the sun hid after being out all day :rolleyes:

Hong Chau

Banned
Holy shit dude. That looks Brand new again.

one question, my car has paint protection on it. does waxing the car damage the actual clear coat in any way?
the product that you used seems to work really well.
love it!!

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Looks better than brand new. :clap:

Nice one Jamie, good to see you're giving Dave a nice plug too. :drinking:

I'm really glad we got our preferred choice in Candy White, but there's no denying that the darker colours yield far more satisfactory results after a day's hard yakka with some quality detailing gear.

Hopefully the weather will be kind and I'll be able to do the MINI and the GTI over the holiday break.

:thumbsup:

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
The GTI looks great Jamie. Zaino usually looks very good on red and black cars.. I don't think the pics show the true depth of shine the Zaino is giving you either.. I think TR looks alot better in the flesh than in pics too...

Hopefully the weather will be kind and I'll be able to do the MINI and the GTI over the holiday break.

:thumbsup:

I got to fully do the car a few days before the stage 3 restrictions came into force.. :frown: Carlack topped with Nanoseal. (I'm a Carlack68 and Polylack Nano convert over the Klasse twins now. The Polylack was so much easier to apply and remove (wipe-on wipe off method) than Klasse HGSG. Depth and clarity was pretty decent for white paint, no discernable difference to HGSG. Longevity of the nanoseal will be the final test.)

How do you plan on doing the cars with the current restrictions??

Now the GTI has a nice coat of sealant to last thru summer, I'm probably just going to high pressure hose at the carlovers down the road and then use the Sonus Acrylic Spritz QD to "dry wash" and top off the sealant with Acrylic Glanz.

Just wondering what others plan on doing during these restrictions where the public can't even wash their car unless it's at a car wash while the government waters median strips and parks for hours at a time every night... :mad:

Simo

I have never heard of Zaino but from the photos I'd like to get hold of some to give it a go - how do I?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Check out waxit.com.au :thumbsup: The owner, Dave, is a MkIV R32 owner...

I'd also highly recommend an acrylic polish/sealant combo like Klasse All in One polish (or Carlack68 is a more modern formula from the same German factory) and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (or Polylack Nanoseal, which I find easier to use than the Klasse).

Ask Dave for his suggestions.

If you go for Zaino, you'll either love it and become another Zaino Zealot, or wonder what all the fuss was about and why it cost so much... (just don't let the Zaino Zealots hear you :biggrin:)

Either way, If your .:R is going to be a daily driver and spend a lot of time outside and only get a wax a couple of times per year, acrylics are the way to go.. I'd steer clear of all the natural carnauba waxes unless you were committed to waxing properly every month or so.. Acrylics (like the German Klasse/Carlack/Polylack or Zaino or Autoglym Super Resin Polish) will give an almost indistinguishable result with vastly better durability...

Last edited:

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
Holy shit dude. That looks Brand new again.

one question, my car has paint protection on it. does waxing the car damage the actual clear coat in any way?
the product that you used seems to work really well.
love it!!

You can use a paste or liquid natural Carnauba wax with no damage to the paint protection at all. This will give a very deep wet look to your paint.

Just don't use any polish or cleaner waxes as these contain abrasives that will eventually wear away the paint protection.

I'll be visiting Waxit to get some Detailers Pride Rinseless wash and washing the car in the garage. It only uses 4 litres of water to wash the car so it's ideal to use under cover.

Totally agree with your comments on Zaino. You either love it or wonder why it's so expensive :iono: I'm in the middle of the road with this one though. I'm a fan of Zaino but I prefer Swissol. I just love the look of a high quaility Carnauba based product on darker colours.

I think for most people, unless you are really dedicated to detailing like I am, Kirium's suggestion about using Klasse/Carlack/Polylack is the way to go over Zaino.

In regards to "off the shelf products", I highly recommend Bowden's own for a Carnauba product (Autobarn, Auto One and Repco) or Autoglym Super Resin Polish and sealed with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection for synthetic product.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Where are my sun glasses?!

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik

CarLovers, late at night with a bucket and wash mit, then straight home to QD the car in the morning, then clay bar/Klasse. Not an ideal preparation I acknowledge, but probably the best we can hope for at the moment.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Good plan... The local car lovers here has cameras all over the place and a stict "no buckets/mitts/chamois/own gear" policy... I don't know if I should go the late night bucket and mitt route too and risk getting banned... Can't afford to get banned, I'd die if I couldn't give the car a quick high pressure rinse...

I've just rinsed today and thanks to the acrylic sealant, all the dirt has been blasted away leaving me with a quick QD for a clean car... just about to go and top it up with acrylic glanz before the sun comes back out...

CV_Soccer

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV
1. Washed with Dishwashing liquid to remove the old product.
2. Wiped down with Z6
3. 3 x Z5 with Z6 between each coat. Was only planning on 2 layers I had too much product left over.
4. 3 x Z2 with Z6 in between each layer
5. Final wipe over with Z8

OUTSTANDING! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I have a TR GTI as well and it has never looked that good.

Why did you start with the Z6, I woiuld have thought that you would have applied Z5 and then Z6. Wouldn't Z5 remove the prior Z6?

Sealant & polish I understand along with the Z8 topper but how long did the Z2 take to cure and did you use the ZFX Flash Curing Additive?

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
OUTSTANDING! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I have a TR GTI as well and it has never looked that good.

Why did you start with the Z6, I woiuld have thought that you would have applied Z5 and then Z6. Wouldn't Z5 remove the prior Z6?

Sealant & polish I understand along with the Z8 topper but how long did the Z2 take to cure and did you use the ZFX Flash Curing Additive?

I normally use Swissol Carnauba products so washing with dishwashing liquid ensures all old wax is removed. I reason I used Z6 first was just to prepare the surface in case the car hadn't been rinsed properly. Since we're in the middle of a severe drought water's a premium so I try to use as little as possible.

Both the Z5 and Z6 was mixed with ZFX so it's only a 20 minute wait for curing. It was quite a warm day yesterday so it was curing very quickly.

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I have never heard of Zaino but from the photos I'd like to get hold of some to give it a go - how do I?

Simo,

Since yours is dark blue, I'd recommend using a Carnauba based product. These are a couple of pics of my last car. This was after I detailed it with Swissol Paint Cleanser and topped with Scuderia Wax. The wax isn't cheap but if you want to go with something similar, Dave at Waxit sells Pinnacle Paint Cleanser and Pinnacle Souveran wax which was what I used to use before moving up to the Swissol.

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Damn clean car, nice work. No swirl marks at all looks bloody GREAT!!

How is your front number plate attached?? Does it have the Euro plate holder or is it just screwed in without a holder?? Reason I ask is I ordered my car (arrive in feb 07) with Euro plates and have heard that they no longer come with the Euro style number plate holders.