GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB (or get yr feedback): GTI brake kit

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Hi,
I asked the question in the AU forum about the practicality of upgrading my standard Jetta brake rotors/calipers slightly - to GTI or better gear.

A few of you may have gone tdown the Big Brake Kit upgrade route...
if so, are your old brakes knackered or could they serve again in a more basic MkV, like my Jetta?

Thanks for your offers and advice. I'm not seeking S3/R32 size gear as I'm not taking the car on tthe track and am trying to keep it on 17" BBS wheels..

Thanks for your feedback on the question thread - and here or by PM if you have a set available, in good/great condition. :)

Cheers,
Bizi

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Per the related question thread, I'm just interested in what's available, which might fit, but not cost a bomb to get to fit. http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2132194#post2132194

Porsche Boxster S kit, perhaps? Probably would be just as expensive as Robby's BBK in the end and not really necessary for my use of the car.

Maybe I should check out the international section of MkV forums... just let me know if it's worth checking out, in terms of Porsche gear or just GTI/Sportline/S3/R32 upgraded brakes...without breaking into the big $.

Thanks again!

bj240z

their different?

Are the brakes not the same?

And even if they're not, I would suggest the path I took, and get some slotted rotors and some gripper pads. Unless you're doing track work, you're not going to be able to build up too much heat anyway. And if you're really worried about that, then you'll need to up the boil temp of your fluid as well.

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
Agree regarding the the upgrade. Don't bother if you're not tracking. If you're tracking it, they're a must.

I've never really felt the need for upgraded brakes on road driving, and I've got a K04. Maybe after a handful of tight corners on a GTG, but that's about it. Admittedly, I don't got hard at GTGs.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
Are the brakes not the same?

And even if they're not, I would suggest the path I took, and get some slotted rotors and some gripper pads. Unless you're doing track work, you're not going to be able to build up too much heat anyway. And if you're really worried about that, then you'll need to up the boil temp of your fluid as well.

Thanks for the tip. I figure if the rotors are the same for Jetta and GTI, I could just consider the cosmetic upgrade of the slotted ones, plus Hawk HP+ or similar pads.

If the rotors are different, then I'll be open to taking someone's GTI gear after they get a track-use BBK.

Has anyone else investigated this option, to use GTI or better gear on their non-GTI MkV? Seemingly not.

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
I need to replace my Jetta TDI rotors and pads (or swap for something else, like GTI gear).

Most sources say the Jetta uses the standard sixe brakes ut I can't find any recent sources to confirm the exact size for Jetta 2.0 TDI. I guess I need to go back to the manual, which I think did mention they are 288 at the front.

I have one firm offer with decent pads and lines. It might be worthwhile just to have the stainless steel lines as the lines, fluid, pads and tyres make the difference, according to most commentators.

Thanks if you can help.

I will visit Derek soon and wonder if anyone has recently done their own upgrade. I do see Porsche 996 and Boxster kits on sale as something probably lighter than the S3/R32 heavyweight upgrade. :)
Anyone else in Sydney who has their GTI calipers/rotors/pads sitting around, please let me know. :)

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
10D offered you his today and you didn't take them. :iono:

I truly don't get it. You're always on the look out for these, and then you don't bite. Is it cause they're not on egay?

Last edited:

onpole01

ILoveMyMKVGTI
i have just taken my stock gti fronts off and replaced them with an S3 kit I
bought from Rob-so, I have stock gti fronts to sell (calipers, rotors and forget the pads you'll need new ones).

Anyway if you're interested let me know. Not looking for much dollars either so pm for my 'bargain price' hahahaha!

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
i have just taken my stock gti fronts off and replaced them with an S3 kit I bought from Rob-so, I have stock gti fronts to sell (

Thanks, Mr Webber :biggrin:, hope you did well today at the GP.

More crucially, may you improve your lap times in your GTI if this is a reason why you jumped on Robby's 'S' stoppers. :thumbsup: