GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nikon D3000: How does it compare with the D40, D60, etc.? Better or worst?

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Im looking to pick up my first DSLR really soon and I was curious if the Nikon D3000 is any good?

How does it compare with the other D-models from Nikon? How does it compare with the Canon Rebel XS?

What are the differences between the other D-models from Nikon?

I am coming from a point and shoot camera (Canon SD500).

Nikon D3000...

-the good?

-the bad?

-any features/anything else I need to know?

help a DSLR rookie out with some info :thumbsup:

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
D3000 is essentially upgraded D60... Not very good low light performance... check out dpreview.com for reviews. I am too biased toward D90 to give fair judgment =D
one thing to consider is that D3000 does not have autofocus motor in the body so you are restricted to AF-s lenses so you can't use awesome lenses that don't have a motor like the 1.8 50mm... just something to think about...

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
D3000 is essentially upgraded D60... Not very good low light performance... check out dpreview.com for reviews. I am too biased toward D90 to give fair judgment =D
one thing to consider is that D3000 does not have autofocus motor in the body so you are restricted to AF-s lenses so you can't use awesome lenses that don't have a motor like the 1.8 50mm... just something to think about...

I'm not looking to upgrade the lens. Maybe in the future?

What are the cons of the camera not having AF motor in the body? Using difference lenses and not being able to AF?

The camera comes with the 55-200mm Nikkor lens as well as the stock 18-55mm lens. what kind of shots can I get with the 55-200mm lenses?

This camera isn't good for taking night shots with minimal light?

How does this camera compare with the Nikon D40? Which is better/worst?

Will I be able to get nice, quality photos? Im tired of my point and shoot camera.

Last edited:

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
i considered d3000, but then the d90 cought my eye. and i thought id just wait untill it drops in price some more and get it. with a 50mm 1.8 lens.

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
I'm not looking to upgrade the lens. Maybe in the future?

What are the cons of the camera not having AF motor in the body? Using difference lenses and not being able to AF?

The camera comes with the 55-200mm Nikkor lens as well as the stock 18-55mm lens. what kind of shots can I get with the 55-200mm lenses?

This camera isn't good for taking night shots with minimal light?

How does this camera compare with the Nikon D40? Which is better/worst?

Will I be able to get nice, quality photos? Im tired of my point and shoot camera.

well... once you start getting into photography, you will get the lens fever... thats inevitable. what counts the most in low light is the fast lens (low F number) but high ISO performance isn't the best with D3000 sensor...
D40 is proven to be one of the best beginner's camera... you won't find much difference in image quality between the two... D3000 definitely has more bells and whistles...

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
So will I regret buying this camera? Ive been seeing a couple of negative comments on this camera and dont want to spend $500+ and end up the camera isnt good.

So in the end, which is better. D40 or D3000?

Mainly, I just want some good quality, clear, realistic photos that will show lots of detail... like this:

Last edited:

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
its ALL about the lens dude ALL about the lens... D40 sensor is same as the D3000 sensor... they just crammed more pixels into the D3000 sensor which isn't necessarily a good thing... if you just want a good basic dSLR go with D40. but you will outgrow it soon... there isn't a "better" camera in general... you just gotta find whats better for you and if its worth the extra money for more bells and whistles on D3000. otherwise D40 and D3000 are both capable of good pictures.

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
My choices are down to either:

Nikon D3000, which comes with the 18-55mm lens, as well as the 55-200mm lens and bag

or

Canon Rebel T1i with the 18-55mm lens

What advantages do each have against each other?

Which is better in the long run
Which is best overall?

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Be aware that most of the entry level Nikon dSLRs will NOT autofocus with some of their lenses, including the affordable 50/1.8 prime lens. The lesser cameras lack a focusing motor in the camera body and these lenses require it to auto-focus.

A cropped sensor dSLR is just this side of useless without autofocus.

Personally I'd save my pennies and dimes for the D90. I think anything less is a waste.

Canon uses AF motors in all of their lenses, never in the body. So this is a non-issue with all Canons.

mike20t

Shaved Burger
Welcome to the canon club mate :)

Before i bought my canon (rebel XSI & 50D), i played around with the nikons a bit and just could not like them at all. Imo, Canon has superior LCD screens and the shuttter makes a much better noise than the nikons. Not that it matters but if you take snaps all the time its something you notice :)

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Just got the Canon EOS Rebel T1i 500D.
Jesus christ, this is so much win compared to my P&S Canon SD500.

Thanks for the info guys! :thumbup: