GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Purchaseing in Germany, taking to the U.S., questions!!! please read!

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
to start, hellO :) my name's Jack, and im am a new poster to your forums, a long time reader, but never really had anything that great to contribute, and due to my current situation (iraq) i cannot very well go and purchase my car. ANYHOW, my unit (u.s. army) is based out of Darmstadt, Germany. I would like to purchase the 05-06 gti when i get back in 5 months, and i have a whole heap of questions reguarding this. i only ask, because ive emailed the local vw dealer in darmstadt "wiest" and vw themselves and yet to have any responces after about a month, and those stationed here in Taji with me are by no means car enthusists. so please, if you can, help me out here! :D

:bow: :bow:

im curious how dealerships work in germany for vw's. i would like to purchase a black magic (debating the color) gti pkg 0 6spd nein sunroof nein satelite radio/navigation. i guess i get a discount for being in the military and i get a VAT forum from the army that cut's -16% from the included tax. im curious how i would have to go about ordering it? ALSO lol, im curious if t would meet usdm (united states domestic market) safety standards, and read in mph also, so that I may take it back to the states with me in a year? those are my main questions.

thank you for all your time!
Jack

:respekt:

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Jack,

Thank you for your service!

You may want to check with AAFES/BX and see if anyone there knows if you can do this. Back in the 80's when I was in England there were a few way I could get a European car. The problem is shipping it home if you choose to bring it back. Now things have changes with the Emmisions and such so I have no clue.

When I went over to England (USAF, 1977-1980) As long as I brought a car over, I could ship one back. That could be an old rule. But some manufacturers will allow you to use their shipping to get the car back to the states. I knew Volvo did this because I almost went with then for a 242 GT back in 79.

So...For more Modern times I have found a few links for you to try.
1) http://www.vwmilitarycarsales.com/MCS/preowned/vw/vwhome.nsf/?Open

These folks deal with US Delivery of a Car but it's STATESIDE only.

2) http://www.oconus.com/main/autos.asp
This looks like a referrence Index for all the sites that deal with Autosales for Overseas Personnel. Some of the Links look like AFFES/BX approved while some might not.

As A Retired First Sergeant I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to do your home work and make sure of the AFFES affiliation so if you do have a problem AFFES might help you out.

I hope these links pan out for you! And again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

MSGT Chris (RET)

GTI2007

nomad said:
to start, hellO :) my name's Jack, and im am a new poster to your forums, a long time reader, but never really had anything that great to contribute, and due to my current situation (iraq) i cannot very well go and purchase my car. ANYHOW, my unit (u.s. army) is based out of Darmstadt, Germany. I would like to purchase the 05-06 gti when i get back in 5 months, and i have a whole heap of questions reguarding this. i only ask, because ive emailed the local vw dealer in darmstadt "wiest" and vw themselves and yet to have any responces after about a month, and those stationed here in Taji with me are by no means car enthusists. so please, if you can, help me out here! :D

:bow: :bow:

im curious how dealerships work in germany for vw's. i would like to purchase a black magic (debating the color) gti pkg 0 6spd nein sunroof nein satelite radio/navigation. i guess i get a discount for being in the military and i get a VAT forum from the army that cut's -16% from the included tax. im curious how i would have to go about ordering it? ALSO lol, im curious if t would meet usdm (united states domestic market) safety standards, and read in mph also, so that I may take it back to the states with me in a year? those are my main questions.

thank you for all your time!
Jack

:respekt:

The speedo on a German GTI is in km/h not in mph and the car is 0.9" lower then the NA GTI.

nomad

NYDUB said:
Jack,

Thank you for your service!

You may want to check with AAFES/BX and see if anyone there knows if you can do this. Back in the 80's when I was in England there were a few way I could get a European car. The problem is shipping it home if you choose to bring it back. Now things have changes with the Emmisions and such so I have no clue.

When I went over to England (USAF, 1977-1980) As long as I brought a car over, I could ship one back. That could be an old rule. But some manufacturers will allow you to use their shipping to get the car back to the states. I knew Volvo did this because I almost went with then for a 242 GT back in 79.

So...For more Modern times I have found a few links for you to try.
1) http://www.vwmilitarycarsales.com/MCS/preowned/vw/vwhome.nsf/?Open

These folks deal with US Delivery of a Car but it's STATESIDE only.

2) http://www.oconus.com/main/autos.asp
This looks like a referrence Index for all the sites that deal with Autosales for Overseas Personnel. Some of the Links look like AFFES/BX approved while some might not.

As A Retired First Sergeant I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to do your home work and make sure of the AFFES affiliation so if you do have a problem AFFES might help you out.

I hope these links pan out for you! And again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

MSGT Chris (RET)

wow, thank you so much! im check'n out those sites inbetween my shifts. this will help me out alot. i was wondering if there is any specific safety differances between the european model and the usdm model? like bumpers and windshield's etc? thank you :)

:drinking:

nomad

i found http://www.autoexchangeonline.com to be the most helpful for car purchaseing for service members in europe who want to take the vechicle back with them to the states when they pcs.

i also found some sweet places to get parts on that index website you listed! thank you! it's a total bitch trying to convey what you need to most germans, and holy shit, most of them have NO sense of humor. i love the country none the less. :D

ill post of the results of my inquery over at autoexchange when i get them back.
:bow:

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
I can help you answer any & all questions you have :biggrin: . I'm stationed in Heidelberg which is about 45 minutes from Darmstadt. There is a VW dealership here as well. When you order your car it WILL be American spec. It takes 2-3 months for the car to be built(if they don't have one you like at the lot). If you build & price one on the VW website that is what you will pay. Minus the destination charge(I think it's around $600), and there's also an $80 customs fee. Also like you said before there's no sales tax.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
i have 2 cousins that work at one of the AUDI plants in bavaria and they say that the big differance between the US version of cars and everyone else is the grade of steel used. it costs more and is a bit heavier but its also alot safer. and the glass and emissions systems are different. so it is harder to import a forign car unless it is to US spec

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
In addition, the price of the GTI in Euros would come out around 30+k USD because of the difference in taxes and standards of living and where it is bought. It would be much cheaper to buy it in the US.