GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

h2sport camber plates or TT lower control arms

simonskerton

Passed Driver's Ed
right guys my car is lowered on coilovers, and when i last had it aligned the front camber was at -1.25 degrees.

Ive purchased some MK2 audi TT lower control arms which can give an additional half degree negative camber therefore totalling -1.75 degrees camber.

Afriend of mine has a set of the new H2Sport top mounts which are 4 way adjustable to either of the following, 0, -1, -1.5, -2 degrees. however they dont fit the top of his shock absorbers, and he proposed a swap with me.

They are designed to fit std shocks and my coilovers are stil uing the std top mounts so id presume they would fit mine.

Has anybody here got experience with these top mounts, that can shed some light on them?

How easy is it to change them from one setting to another?

Would you reccommend a trade with him for them.

I regularily frequent track days so can make good use of any camber, but im thinking the ability to swap back to a less aggressive setup when not on track is a mega plus point

cheers guys
Sy

simonskerton

Passed Driver's Ed
im confident my coilvers will fit the top mounts, its just whether it is worthwhile doing the swap. Im getting very tempted.

i dont know anyone who has used top mounts so i have no idea how easy it is to change the settings on them??

anybody care to share their experience?

your car should be running a fair bit of camber with the two on. -2.5 degrees plus any further neg camber created when lowering the car. if i was to o that i could get -2.75:biggrin:

I was thinking of setting the top mount -1.5 giving me a total of -1.75 and proably just leave it at that. Not sure what to get the back set to though.

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
this doesn't answer your question, but how much were your mk2 audi tt lower control arms, and where did you get them? also, what shocks does your friend have? thanks.

simonskerton

Passed Driver's Ed
1- Lower control arm
Amount required=2 total, 1 per side
Part number=8J0 407 151 D(same part number for each side)
Total cost= 224 euro for the pair

2- Bolt to attach lower arm(dont know exact name for it)
Amount required= 2 total, 1 per side
Part Number=N 101 410 03
Total cost= 5 euro, (2.50Each)

3- Ball Joints
Part number= 8J0 407 365(LEFT SIDE), 8J0 407 366(RIGHT SIDE)
Total cost= 92 euro (41 euro each)

4- Ball Joint bolts
Amount required= 6 total, (3 per side)
Part Number= N103 320 02
Total Cost= 2.64 euro (44 cent each)

5- Ball Joint Lock Plates
amount required= 2 total, 1 each side
Part number= 8J0 407 175 (176)
Total Cost= they didnt charge for these????

In total it came to 323 euros+19%tax, so 385 euros total inclusive of VAT

im not entirly sure, i have AST coilovers in my head for some reason, cant be sure though

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
oh, i take it you are in the UK (i mistakenly assumed "plymouth" to be "plymouth, massachusetts, usa") (the skoda octavia is the other giveaway). sounds like the h2sport camber plates are probably the more cost-effective option for people in the states.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
im confident my coilvers will fit the top mounts, its just whether it is worthwhile doing the swap. Im getting very tempted.

i dont know anyone who has used top mounts so i have no idea how easy it is to change the settings on them??

anybody care to share their experience?

your car should be running a fair bit of camber with the two on. -2.5 degrees plus any further neg camber created when lowering the car. if i was to o that i could get -2.75:biggrin:

I was thinking of setting the top mount -1.5 giving me a total of -1.75 and proably just leave it at that. Not sure what to get the back set to though.

I have H2Sport camber plates on my 08 GTI. The ad says there are 4 camber settings, in reality there are 2, max and medium. The site is also a bit inaccurate in the camber settings available. I installed mine at max, and got -2.5 degrees camber, where the site says max is -2.0, so bonus I guess.

Running at -2.5 might be a little much for a street car, however at that setting, turn in response and grip become awesome. However, there are some drawbacks. I find that my tires tend to spin a little easier on hard corner exit, and running camber plates on street does make some road surfaces a bit harder on the front end, but its not too bad. The medium setting might be a better overall setting, I haven't tried it yet, I suspect it would give around -2.0 camber. I'd say using the plates with an LSD would give one awesome cornering Mk5! H2Sports price is pretty reasonable too.

I wasn't aware the TT-2 wheel spindle could be an option. H2Sport will also have a sport spindle out this fall that will correct for lowering. For now I keep my GTI at R32 height (taken from Bentley) so I don't lose camber on corners. At this height the lower control arms are still level. If I get the sport spindles I'll probably lower it a bit more, but it seems happy at the track where it is now.

In terms of changing camber setting, with a Mk5 you are pretty much stuck with removing the strut as there isn't enough room at the top to mess with it. Someone brave can cut the top opening I guess, but that wouldn't be me!

I would suggest leaving the rear suspension at factory settings to start with.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
simonskerton, where have you got those prices from ? In my country all those are about 700 Euros !?!?

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
1- Lower control arm
Amount required=2 total, 1 per side
Part number=8J0 407 151 D(same part number for each side)
Total cost= 224 euro for the pair

2- Bolt to attach lower arm(dont know exact name for it)
Part Number=N 101 410 03
Total cost= 5 euro, (2.50Each)

3- Ball Joints
Part number= 8J0 407 365(LEFT SIDE), 8J0 407 366(RIGHT SIDE)
Total cost= 92 euro (41 euro each)

4- Ball Joint bolts
Amount required= 6 total, (3 per side)
Part Number= N103 320 02
Total Cost= 2.64 euro (44 cent each)

5- Ball Joint Lock Plates
amount required= 2 total, 1 each side
Part number= 8J0 407 175 (176)
Total Cost= they didnt charge for these????

In total it came to 323 euros+19%tax, so 385 euros total inclusive of VAT

Do the TT control arms also come with the aluminium control arm bushings in the price (224 Euro) or do they need to be ordered separately ? What about the front rubber bushings ?

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Do the TT control arms also come with the aluminium control arm bushings in the price (224 Euro) or do they need to be ordered separately ? What about the front rubber bushings ?

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123479

This threads shows they seem to come with the control arm bushings. But the TT rear mounts don't fit the GTI, you have to swap your old ones to the TT arms. The OP in that thread decided to use the stiffer TT bushings so he pressed his TT bushings out and into the GTI mounts.

I like that aluminum control arm mod, extra camber without plates, too bad its so freakin expensive, $700 USD.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Ordered the TT arms. Will make detailed pics when they'll be here !

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Ok, just came back from Hungaroring and must say the improvement over my last session in august was huge. After my last visit to hungaroring, I realised my car was useless on the track with all that power and 19" rims + street tires so I decided to make some changes :

- Replaced my 235/35/19 GY asymmetric with 225/45/17 Kumho V70a semi-slicks
- Installed TT lower arms wich gave me -2.3deg of negative camber (only -0.55deg with OEM ones)
- Lost 100kg by removing the rear seats and also didn't have a passenger this time
- Installed new front springs on my B16 (the old ones were ruined by potholes in the last 3 years)

The improvement was absolutely incredible. My best lap went down from 2'29" to 2'18". The best times were established by a GT3 RS, Honda NSX and EVO VI makinen edition rally car to about 2'.10"- 2'12" ! Some movies :

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuscobal#p/a/u/1/JArwBNkBZ6k