GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How To: replace ashtray/coin tray

koosh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 golf
back again :) this time with ashtray replacement :) got a fair ol bargain off the bay so thought i would swap out that rubbish, scrapped black ashtray for the cool new one i bought :)

first up is push the gear stick into 3rd. helps get a grip under the gaitor:

put your thumb under the front side of the gaitor and pull upwards. yu will feel a lip/gap where yu can put your thumbs between and pull! it helps to have 2 thumbs under but i had to take a pic at the same time :p :

lift the gaitor upwards so yu reveal the little ring at the bottom of the gear knob. squeeze, pull, twist and yank at the ring with a pair of pliers till yu can pull upwards on the gear knob to remove it:

with the gear knob and gaitor removed yu will see the 2 screws. these are T20. unsrew the both and keep safe.. as always be careful as these screws can go deep into the depths of your car:

lift up the ashtray and simultaniously pull outwards. yu can wiggle it to get the top edge free as its a bit wide and can get stuck sometimes :) doesnt take much to release it! at this point remove both the cigarette lighter/12v plug connector and the ESP connector and lay them to the side. remove the ashtray completely:

at this point if yu have a full ashtray to replace it with (as i did) yu push the ashtray back in and as with the removal yu give it a wiggle to get the back edge located. plug in the 12v and the ESP connectors and line up the bolt holes. (if yu only have the top plates then splitting them isnt the hardest thing ever. should be fairly easy to notice the clips yu have to unclip):

replace the 2 bolts:

replace the ring if yu didnt break it to badly upon removal or use a zie tie to hold the gear knob in place:

replace the bottom of the gaitor and hey presto.. succesful change of a mk5 ashtray :)

again hope this helps someone :)