GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Retaining vent channel with OSIR O-pod

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
So contrary to a couple posts I have read on here, I discovered today that it is in fact possible to retain use of your vent with the Osir O-pod. Its actually fairly easy to do, and is completely reversible.

Once you have your vent out of the dash, you basically need to take it completely apart. Start by pulling the faceplate off by unpopping the plastic retaining clips on the top and bottom.

Once the face plate is off, you need to unclip the plastic arm on the bottom of the vent that connects the wheel on the front to a lever arm on the back. This is what allows you to direct air left and right and to close the vent. Both connections of this arm are a little ball and socket. Just pull firmly and they'll pop out.

Next, remove the block-off on the back of the vent that closes the vent completely. You can do this by holding the lever and pull up on the knob on top of the vent.

Lastly, you need to disconnect the fins. This is the hardest part. The fins are connected to the channel with 4 retaining clips, similar to how the faceplate was connected. I used a small allen key to push the clips in while squeezing the channel (pretty hard) with my free hand. I had to pop all four clips out induvidually and play with it to get it out.

Now you should be left with just the channel. The OSIR pod should slide right over it. I would reccomend wiring up the gauge before attaching it to the channel. There are two holes in the bottom of the channel that are perfect for running your wires, and its just inches from the fuse box.

Sorry, no pictures, but its all pretty simple. Good luck! :thumbsup:

EDIT: installed pics are below.

Last edited:

Yellow_Pheonix

Ready to race!
I did not have to go thru all those trouble to get the air to flow thru Osir Pod. All i did was cut 2 pieces of insulation foam and blocked off the side (to the fuse panel) and the bottom (to the area by the steering column). It took me less than 5 minutes to get this done.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I tried that before with cardboard and duct tape. It worked well, but this way flowed noticably more air. Less restriction to flow, and less volume to fill up, I guess.

nukta90

Ready to race!
:needpics:

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Right now I have no gauge. I am waiting for a gauge I ordered from Australia to come in. Its a Racetech 60mm electronic boost gauge with peak/warn. Basically a defi rip off, minus the controller. I think the blue will match a little better, too. I'll post pictures of it and the o-pod with the oem vent when it comes in, hopefully early next week.

GTIWV

WV VW
well, thats why the vent fits with the gauge pod.

wait till you put a gauge in, it wont fit. unless you cut/trim on the vent section. i have a defi blueracer, and it wont fit with the vent section in.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
What would cause it to not fit? There's nothing in the vent section but the channel itself. The fins and everything have all been gutted.

GTIWV

WV VW
the way the gauge angles down, it hits the bottom of it and pushes the gauge out

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
i have a 52mm prosport gauge in my vent and it sits just fine as well

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
lol well Im guessin it would have to depend on the length of the gauge

GTIWV

WV VW
yea, thats what im guessing. its probably just a hair longer. but i tried for 20 min to get it to fit. any way i could try, i tried.