GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear numberplate lights

dstyle

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I am currently running Polarg bulbs for my rear license plate lights but i have just realised that they have melted holes in the plastic housing. 10watt bulbs definitely not a good idea. (was getting reliability issues as well probably due to melted housing)

So i am just wondering what all the other Aussie people have in the car?

Sidenote: I was going to get Ziza lights but at USD110 incl. postage from ECS they are definitely NOT worth it. BTW im after more of a plug and play solution. I just cant stand the yellow colour of stock.

Cheers,
Sean

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
What about OEM?
They don't melt housings... (on a side note, a search of this forum might have revealed a thread where other users of >5W bulbs for taillights have reported melted housings...).

Maybe LEDs if they are available to fit?

NSJ202

Banned
LED's run very cool, so try them

606gti

black sheep
gotta have a resistor inline for leds.. unless you get higher wattage ones.

running a normal halogen bulb inline would do the same thing.. hide it somewhere in your bumper or something.

dstyle

Ready to race!
just to clarify i have had my lights for ages (well over a year) but its got to a stage where they were cutting in and out and when i went to have a look at them i saw that it had melted the plastic housing.

Also, yeah i want to get LEDs as they dont emmit as much heat. I have searched the forums but was wondering what cost effective setups Aussie people had because the options US people have taken up are too expensive once you factor in international shipping. :frown:

606gti

black sheep
just to clarify i have had my lights for ages (well over a year) but its got to a stage where they were cutting in and out and when i went to have a look at them i saw that it had melted the plastic housing.

Also, yeah i want to get LEDs as they dont emmit as much heat. I have searched the forums but was wondering what cost effective setups Aussie people had because the options US people have taken up are too expensive once you factor in international shipping. :frown:

Leds wont run and will only register as a failed bulb. You can either add a resistor in series with the leds (ask maverick he's done it) or like I said add an extra bulb housing (hide it in your bumper with a normal halogen bulb fitted) and your leds will work. Which you can pick up from autobarn supercheap dick smith wherever.. pretty simple really.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Here's what I did, under AUD$15 and works a treat. No photos of them in operation that I can find at the moment but they put out more light which is handy for reversing (a little bit) and look so much better.

Disabling the bulb monitoring for the license plate lights doesn't work which was my first step and fitting resistors inside the car and hacking the loom wasn't for me.

http://www.my-gti.com/1053/upgradin...lkswagen-golf-jetta-gti-r32-rabbit-and-passat

dstyle

Ready to race!
Leds wont run and will only register as a failed bulb. You can either add a resistor in series with the leds (ask maverick he's done it) or like I said add an extra bulb housing (hide it in your bumper with a normal halogen bulb fitted) and your leds will work. Which you can pick up from autobarn supercheap dick smith wherever.. pretty simple really.

Yeah i think thats a bit too much effort for me :biggrin:
But a big thanks for the suggestion

dstyle

Ready to race!
Here's what I did, under AUD$15 and works a treat. No photos of them in operation that I can find at the moment but they put out more light which is handy for reversing (a little bit) and look so much better.

Disabling the bulb monitoring for the license plate lights doesn't work which was my first step and fitting resistors inside the car and hacking the loom wasn't for me.

http://www.my-gti.com/1053/upgradin...lkswagen-golf-jetta-gti-r32-rabbit-and-passat

Hey Mav, this seems like a good solution. I dont have a soldering iron but i have just had a quick look at dickies online and i should be able to get all the stuff i need on the cheap.

In your DIY you say that you need the shrink wrap to stop a short circuit? sorry i dont entirely follow. haha

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Hey Mav, this seems like a good solution. I dont have a soldering iron but i have just had a quick look at dickies online and i should be able to get all the stuff i need on the cheap.

Grab it all from dealextreme, you'll save money that way and it'll all arrive at once.

Like solder.

1mm*1-Meter Rosin Core Solder

You also need a soldering iron (they have them for around $4-5), some 5 or 6mm heatshrink for a few dollars and from Jaycar some resistors 1 watt CARB 270R 5% in packets of 2 for ~$2. Part number is RR256something.

In your DIY you say that you need the shrink wrap to stop a short circuit? sorry i dont entirely follow. haha

The body of the bulb is connected to one end cap. The other end cap is isolated from the body (the small white section you see). You don't want the two parts to become connected so the resistor should be isolated with some shrink wrap to prevent a short circuit. Hopefully the photos show what I mean, click on the photos if you need to as this will launch a higher res version.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
here u go

CLICK here or here

found these after participating in another thread in the cosmetic section - haven't tried them yet so dunno if they work

if u end up getting these, let me know if they work coz i want some and i'm lazy too! ;)

SevenW

Ready to race!
Get the Blesk ones made in Korea.

I recently did a mini group buy for them in HK, I got them for US$7 a pair. Pretty well made although one guy blew one of his 37mm.

I've messed around with lots of resisitors and LEDs, ended up just using OE for a while until I found Blesk / Maxlux. I even changed the puddle lights for a pr of Blesk T10 / W5W.

Cheers

SevenW

Ready to race!
Sorry I got them direct from Maxlux / Blesk, I put up the addy of my contact on the cosmetic section, but everybody is far more interested in buying 2W cheapo China made bulbs that blow after 2 weeks.

After postage and handling, Western Union charges they worked a lot cheaper than the Ziza stuff and the mega exp Jap Brex or PIAA LEDS.

Thread should still be in the cosmetic section.
Aussie guys should get together an GB these.

Here's the thread with the details.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90474

Last edited: