GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swap

doordand

Hey, please do not flame me for asking this as it is a legitimate question.

I am not satisfied with the performance aftermarket for my current engine. I have decided that I would like to swap it for a 4B11T as they are about the same size and the Evo engine has much more potential without fabricating your own parts. My question is, is it even possible to do the swap? I know I will need to fabricate some engine mounts etc but it is worth it to me.

Also, this will raise the issue of weather or not the transmission needs to be replaced which I assume it will. I would like to know (I know very little about transmissions) if 1) It will need to be swapped for the ricer tranny (hehehe... tranny) or can I stick with the Rabbit's OEM transmission? 2) Can a standard manual transmission be converted to a dual clutch configuration?

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
Jesus, I don't even know where to start.
1. If you want an Evo engine, buy an evo
2. You are swapping an AWD based engine into a FWD car so add that shitlist of modifications just to make it work
3. IF it is possible, you are going to spend more money than your rabbit is worth doing the swap
4. No offense but this is the dumbest idea i have ever heard.

awb17x

WHEEL Slayer
Car(s)
2006 GTI
O snap!

Viking445

Souless Day Walkin Ginger
Jesus, I don't even know where to start.
1. If you want an Evo engine, buy an evo
2. You are swapping an AWD based engine into a FWD car so add that shitlist of modifications just to make it work
3. IF it is possible, you are going to spend more money than your rabbit is worth doing the swap
4. No offense but this is the dumbest idea i have ever heard.

Granted it sounds like a hair brain idea BUT if he had done it and then just posted up videos and pictures you would probly proclaim him a God.

Kinda like when they first stuff an R32 drivetrain into a MK2 and then boosted the snot out of it. :drool:

doordand

I will give you that it sounds like a bad idea, but I love the Rabbit (German Frames > Japanese Frames) and I don't like the look of the Evo. However, I do need more power out of my humble dub. Is there another engine that I might have an easier time cramming in there?

vwangler

Keep ur $ I <3 my clunker
Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
Also, this will raise the issue of weather or not the transmission needs to be replaced which I assume it will. I would like to know (I know very little about transmissions) if 1) It will need to be swapped for the ricer tranny (hehehe... tranny) or can I stick with the Rabbit's OEM transmission? 2) Can a standard manual transmission be converted to a dual clutch configuration?

The following statements have led me to believe that the proposed swap will never happen. Go C2 turbo.

Last edited:

doordand

I would rather go Lysholm Supercharger. Super > Turbo. And seeing as how emphatically I was advised against that engine, I would say you are probably right which is why I asked about another engine. The sarcasm was highly appreciated though... can you detect mine?

Viking445

I will give you that it sounds like a bad idea, but I love the Rabbit (German Frames > Japanese Frames) and I don't like the look of the Evo. However, I do need more power out of my humble dub. Is there another engine that I might have an easier time cramming in there?

Why do you need a swap? You can just get a
C2 Motorsports Stage 2 kit

just upgrade your clutch and there ya go.

vwangler

Keep ur $ I <3 my clunker
Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
I would rather go Lysholm Supercharger. Super > Turbo. And seeing as how emphatically I was advised against that engine, I would say you are probably right which is why I asked about another engine. The sarcasm was highly appreciated though... can you detect mine?

I wasn't being sarcastic, just being honest. It would be economically irresponsible of you to attempt such a swap. You want a faster Rabbit, I get it, who wouldn't? If you have the money to drop on an engine swap... then you should be able to pony up a few bills for a C2 turbo kit, or you can wait for the Eurojet kit. Also, the parasitic drag incurred by the SC would outweigh the benefits (IMHO).

Viking445

That battery box really takes up a significant amount of bay space. I was hoping more for Lysholm Twin Screw. I am sure I can get someone to fabricate a mount and manifold for it that fits the I5.

ya you can always move it to the back of the car. But the Turbo setup is designed around it so why bother. As for Blower vs Turbo. the Turbo will always be cable of making more power. If thats your end goal then I give my vote to a turbo setup.

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
Yeah your best bet is going with the C2 stage 2 turbo kit. Either that or find a wrecked GTI and do a 2.0T swap.

senni18

Big Turbo Lover
turbo that 2.5 and haul ass. it will be so worth it and then you dont have to spend enough to buy a gti with a gt30 setup + cooresponding mods for a motor swap. rabbit turbo's are awesome especially with fmic's chillin behind the 5 bar grille.

doordand

Thank you for the suggestions. My next train of though was actually going towards boring it and de stroking. I am looking for low to mid range power and torque from the blower but seeing as how the engine bay is fairly forgiving I can see a SMIC (one that has coils for water flow to compensate for the air its not getting from the front) and a low mounted HTAGT35R in combination with a centrifugal blower or (fingers crossed) a manifold mounted twin screw. I have quite a substantial amount of cash saved for this here project and I am even thinking (under the notion that less weight = less energy needed to move) some custom forged titanium pistons, rods, pins etc. And once I decide upon a crankshaft and cams, having them milled in titanium.