GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need clarification on axle bolt torque specs...

GTI 5

Ready to race!
From this write up: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2213232

It says this:
Drive axle to wheel hub “hex head bolt”t Use new bolt 200 Nm + one half turn (180°)
-Drive axle to wheel hub “12-point bolt”t Use new bolt 70 Nm + quarter turn (90°)

Which is it?? I understand VW switched the head type, but aren't those bolts the same and shouldn't they be torqued to same spec?? I mean bolt diameter, length, thread and pitch doesn't change, only head style, right?

I've got couple new bolts from ECS and they are 12-point head. 200Nm/150ft-lb sounds more reasonable torque for this....but I need to confirm.

Anyone have a Bentley?

Icy6

Ready to race!
These are stretch bolt, they're designed to change shape once torqued. If they had changed the composition of the metal that could be it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah I didn't understand that either when I read those torque specs in that How To.

So to avoid that confusion....I risked it & didn't take the axle bolts out.

It really wasn't hard AT ALL to get the struts out without taking the axle bolts out. Not to mention that I did the job with hand tools, in my driveway, & by myself.

Passenger side was super easy, but the drivers side took a little maneuvering.....nothing too bad though

Taking the axle bolts out would've just made even more work out of the spring swap

Tpass

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 BMP 6M GTI
I don't know the whole story either. what I do know is that the two bolts are different. the older hex head has a thick washer that allows the bolt to be tightened easier thus requiring the higher torque spec. the tripple point is one piece with knurled ridges on the back of the flange not allowing it to be torqued as easily, less torque to keep it set. My speculation only.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
just follow the specs given by VW...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I don't know the whole story either. what I do know is that the two bolts are different. the older hex head has a thick washer that allows the bolt to be tightened easier thus requiring the higher torque spec. the tripple point is one piece with knurled ridges on the back of the flange not allowing it to be torqued as easily, less torque to keep it set. My speculation only.

I don't know why it would've been a problem to torque down though???

I went to Sears and bought a 24mm 12 point socket & it fit perfect....but like I said....I didn't need to use/undo the bolts though since I left them in

Moral of the story.....avoid messing with the axle bolts & just use a little elbow grease while wiggling out the driver's side strut & you'll be fine.

Undo the 3 nuts holding the ball joint & push the lower control arm down/out of the way. Spray some PB blaster/Liquid Wrench in the spindle to help loosen the strut.....undo all of the bolts (14mm triple square & the 3 top bolts holding the strut) & then just give a couple swift kicks to the hub & then you just gotta wiggle the strut out from the spindle......then tip the top of the strut towards the back of the car & turn the axle a little & you'll be able to get it out

arpn50

Thanks for the torque specs and the explanation as to why they are different. Apparently the requirement to pull the axles varies by model and transmission selection. For example my 2009 Rabbit with a 5 speed does not appear to be possible to pull strut with out disconnecting axle. Maybe I just need to push harder. I didn't notice that the axle bolts are torque to yield, can anyone confirm that. Clear that all the other strut mounting bolts are torque to yield, just curious about axle bolt.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
Found on the net
torque specs:
-Suspension strut mount to damper Use new nut - 60 Nm
-Suspension strut to wheel bearing housingt Use new nut 70 Nm + quarter turn (90°)
-Suspension strut to body (suspension strut tower)t Use new bolts 15 Nm + quarter turn (90°)
-Ball joint to control armt Use new nut 60 Nm
-Connecting link to suspension strut Use new nut
-Counter hold at joint pin inner multi-point fitting 65 Nm
-Drive axle to wheel hub “hex head bolt”t Use new bolt 200 Nm + one half turn (180°)
-Drive axle to wheel hub “12-point bolt”t Use new bolt 70 Nm + quarter turn (90°)