GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How active is your radiator fan?

toanjo2

Drinks Wiper Fluid
I have noticed this same problem recently ('08 gti). The weather has been 50 degrees out, so it has been the warmest it has been in months. But I dont ever recall hearing the fan last fall/summer. I notice it when Im stopped at a light, etc. I am completely stock.

smitty08

It's all about balance
Car(s)
2008 GTI 3 dr
Just last week the fan(s) on my 08 started coming on for no apparent reason (outside temp was 15C to 20C and engine was warm but not at full operating temp. They seemed to come on after sitting for a while after an initial drive). Took it to the dealership today - they say they replaced both fans. Seems strange to me, because the fans work fine. I would have thought the problem would have been whatever was controlling the fans? Presumably the problem has been fixed. I'll find out tomorrow.

Mrthemike

Ready to race!
Mine seems to blow sometimes when I have the AC on AFTER i turn the car off. It stays on for about 30 secs or so then stops. Not sure, normal?

tgti

well, here in malaysia we've had a few of the air conditioning (smaller of the two) fans die, so the bigger radiator fan has to work double duty to keep the air cond radiator cool in this tropical heat.

unfortunately mine is also dead, so waiting for a time that i can send the car in for warranty repairs (mine is a '08 GTI). now the large fan is almost perpetually switched on, even upon startup, making my car sound like an old mercedes...

is your small fan running? (i presume all mkV GTIs have 2 fans) - apparently the smaller one is supposed to be running if the a/c is switched on.

DIGGER-07

My '07 GTI does the same D$#! thing. My car is currently all stock. Any time that I idle (with or without A/C on), I here a noise start that gets progressively louder, runs for a while, and then winds down. It is much more frequent when the A/C is running.

I took it to the dealer and had them listen. They said it was a secondary air pump kicking on and that it was normal. However, as others have said, I never noticed this in previous years of my ownership, and now it is much more frequent and louder. i do not trust the info that I am getting from the dealership.

I am thinking of trading for a Mazaspeed 3, because I just can't stand the noise anymore.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well..... when it's 110 degrees outside with the A/C on and having to deal with traffic, I'd say my radiator fan is pretty much on for 4-5 months straight...

2nd

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
My '09 does this as well... sometimes the fans will stay on after i have turned the car off, i think it is normal...

yes and what your hearing is more than likely the coolant after run pump which circulates coolant after the car is off if over a certain temp for about 10 minutes

Murf

Why so serious?
Car(s)
2009 GTI
My fan has been coming on very strongly after I shut the car down lately. Granted, it was 90*F yesterday.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
My fan has been on a ton the last couple of days, after seeing 90 degree days up here in MA.......

toanjo2

Drinks Wiper Fluid
So I just got back from the dealer. I left my GTI with them this morning with the description that "the radiator fan is really noisy and is almost always on high even on very short trips (like a one block drive on a cold engine)".

The service receipt reads "Customer reports: Customer states radiator fans are making noise, runs very loud, kicks on too soon." "Caused by: checked for faults. Found a fault for the cooling fan. Checked fan found fan motor is burned out. Removed and replaced the larger cooling fan motor. Rechecked, OK."

The service tech said that the cooling fan had burned out and this was causing the radiator fan to work overdrive. Maybe this info will be helpful for someone else experiencing the same problem.

bcaciopp

A smile every mile.
So I just got back from the dealer. I left my GTI with them this morning with the description that "the radiator fan is really noisy and is almost always on high even on very short trips (like a one block drive on a cold engine)".

The service receipt reads "Customer reports: Customer states radiator fans are making noise, runs very loud, kicks on too soon." "Caused by: checked for faults. Found a fault for the cooling fan. Checked fan found fan motor is burned out. Removed and replaced the larger cooling fan motor. Rechecked, OK."

The service tech said that the cooling fan had burned out and this was causing the radiator fan to work overdrive. Maybe this info will be helpful for someone else experiencing the same problem.
the same thing has been happening to mine lately.

I cut and pasted your description to the problem. Thanks for your thread!