GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where is the clutch switch?

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
I'm working on a fix for rev hang for people who can't afford a tune. I got a good look at the clutch pedal and can't find anything that looks like a clutch switch. It's clean and simple under there, just a bracket, the pedal, and two plungers that both appear to penetrate the firewall. Well, the upper thing might not be described as a plunger, but it appears to penetrate the firewall.

Any idea where the switch is? I don't need to remove the switch itself, I just need to mess with the plug that goes into it.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Yup, I'm fully aware of what the clutch switch does. My plan is not simply to disconnect it. The car does have the interlock, won't start without stepping on the clutch, and will cancel cruise if you step on the clutch.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Bump.

Any suggestions where I might find my answer without having to buy a factory service manual?

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Thanks! I would have spent forever breaking my back trying to crawl under the dash to look for it.

Does a clutch master cylinder look like a brake master cylinder? Does anyone have a photo of its location in the engine bay?

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Yep. It's on the outside of the firewall. You would need sixteen elbows in your arm to reach it, or you could disassemble the whole front end of the car. I feel bad for anyone whose clutch switch fails out of warranty.

MMD

Oval Champion
Yep. It's on the outside of the firewall. You would need sixteen elbows in your arm to reach it, or you could disassemble the whole front end of the car. I feel bad for anyone whose clutch switch fails out of warranty.

Thanks for ur feelings , but I my clutch switch doesn't fail, actually I have no idea what does clutch switch do.

I need to locate the clutch switch to be able to install the WOT box (N2MB).
My GTI is (GCC) specs , and I'm not sure if it has the same white/red wire of the clutch switch...!!

Do u mean that on in the pic?

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
I don't know which wires it is. Where is that wire bundle located? I'd love to be able to try my experiments there instead of at the switch itself.

You can test to see if that wire is the correct one easily enough; just use a meter or test light on it while someone sits in the car pressing and releasing the clutch pedal.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Please keep me updated with your results. I'd like to find the same wire.

doctorgonzo

Anti-spin doctor
Largest bundle behind the battery box - looking from the front of the car, it exits the firewall and goes toward the driver's side...download the WOT Box instructions; they will tell you the location of the clutch pos sensor wire...or search here for WOT Box install, it's all there for the taking

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Found the instructions:
http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/vwgtimkvinstallationinstructions
I think I should be able to accomplish my experiments using those instructions.

Instructions said:
{...remove the battery tray...}

In the engine compartment, locate the following large wire bundle as it enters the rain cowl. It is on the driver's side of the engine compartment, towards the back on the firewall. Carefully cut back some of the wire bundle covering to expose the inner wires.

Locate the WHITE / REDCLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH wire shown below. NOTE: There are THREE WHITE / RED wires in this bundle. Make sure you choose the smallest wire of the three. The correct WHITE / RED wire will show 12 volts with the clutch pedal up and 0 volts with the clutch pedal down. Verify this with a volt meter before making the connection, if you can.

Carefully strip back some of the insulation on the WHT / REDCLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH wire. Be sure not to break the wire. Connect the 18 AWG GREEN wire from the WOT Box to the WHT / REDCLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH wire. Solder the connection and cover with electrical tape.