GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni, FK's and H&R UltraLow

greddydc5r

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
Ok so I have been deciding on which one to get, I haven't found the right information on these suspensions.
Can someone please make a new sticky or help me out with this, since I see alot of people ask this everyday. I read alot of good feed back and I know everyone is different but I haven't found one with detail information or the questions that I am looking for.

This is for all suspension list in the title:

What is the dampering?
What is the spring rate?
How much more stiffer is it then stock?

Warrenty?
How long have they lasted for you?
Any rush issue?

I know and can see by the pictures how low they go, which is what I want to do, I want to lower it all the way down and still have a great ride. :thumbsup:

The Koni's seem to be at the top cause great for the price, but how much different is it from the FK's if FK's uses Koni shocks? Damping is the same for both? or do the FK's can be adjusted more?
Thanks in advance!

greddydc5r

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
If you want to go low, H&R Ultralows would be my suggestion, they do not give up from quality while going low. Being too low not of your concern, KONI coilovers are the way to go.

Berk! Thanks! I'm still trying to figure which one to get.
Since you have 2 out 3 for sell can you give more info on them?
Are the H&R damper adjustible?
What are the spring rates on both??

greddydc5r

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
If you want to go low, H&R Ultralows would be my suggestion, they do not give up from quality while going low. Being too low not of your concern, KONI coilovers are the way to go.

FYI..
Got the DP, the rest should be here tomorrow, thanks again for the EJ TBE:thumbsup:

D0rk

MOAR POWAR
Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Is there a reason you're not considering B&G's? Especially since you're considering it's two main competitors for "low" status, FK's and UltraLows.

greddydc5r

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
Is there a reason you're not considering B&G's? Especially since you're considering it's two main competitors for "low" status, FK's and UltraLows.

Haven't found to much reviews on those, do you have a link?
I saw them on an orange GTI slammed, but not to much info on them

D0rk

MOAR POWAR
Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Haven't found to much reviews on those, do you have a link?
I saw them on an orange GTI slammed, but not to much info on them

There's a couple threads on vortex. Search is broken there at the moment so I can't pull links.

I put a set on my MKV this past weekend and once we got the dampening adjusted it feels barely stiffer than stock. I still have room to soften it up too if i'd like. Plus there's tons of height adjustment. I'm just tucking tread in the front and rear and there's easily another half inch left to go down on both ends.

There's a couple weird quirks you need to deal with during installation based on their design compared to other coilovers, but once you get them set I think they are golden.

Personally, I see it as Koni for ride quality and minor height changes, FK's for slammed on the cheap(they do go a bit lower in the front, at the expense of ride quality) and B&G's for ride quality with a huge height adjustment range. UltraLows are not the best in any of those fields but are a solid all around suspension.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Berk! Thanks! I'm still trying to figure which one to get.
Since you have 2 out 3 for sell can you give more info on them?
Are the H&R damper adjustible?
What are the spring rates on both??

H&Rs do not have dampening adjustability, however they do ride very comfortable. Konis have dampening adjustability, won't go as low, but still pretty nice drop on them. Keep in mind, most of the FK and KW shock bodies are made by Koni

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
i always understood it like this...

If you want to drop a little, with good ride, go konis

If you want to slam with a decent ride, go fk's... As comparably they will give a better ride when lower...

There must be a reason a lot the lowboys are using FK harware(
Name drop- I.R/MM5)

first350

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info guys.
Anyone else got more info? Spring rates??

haven't looked into the others, but I know the Koni coilovers are progressive springs rates...from my experience, when coilovers don't say what the spring rate is, it usually means they're progressive.

Progressive spring - beginning portion of spring compression is soft, but as you compress the spring, it gets firmer...this allows a soft/OEM ride for DDing, yet still allows you to lower the car and have firmer suspension when you're pushing it harder. (This is great for DDing + lowering + spirited driving. However most ppl who are racing like linear spring rates b/c it's easier to predict the car's behavior...)

*when you look at the spring, if the coils are not constant through the height, it's progressive.

greddydc5r

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
haven't looked into the others, but I know the Koni coilovers are progressive springs rates...from my experience, when coilovers don't say what the spring rate is, it usually means they're progressive.

Progressive spring - beginning portion of spring compression is soft, but as you compress the spring, it gets firmer...this allows a soft/OEM ride for DDing, yet still allows you to lower the car and have firmer suspension when you're pushing it harder. (This is great for DDing + lowering + spirited driving. However most ppl who are racing like linear spring rates b/c it's easier to predict the car's behavior...)

*when you look at the spring, if the coils are not constant through the height, it's progressive.

Thanks! See this is what I'm looking for anyone else have the correct info on the FK's or H&R Ultralows?