GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Spec .:R32 Tail lights DIY *For those without a terminal tool*

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
This is a DIY for people who do not have the terminal tool or just don't feel like going through the hassle of switching the terminals. This is also beneficial for people who want a easier switch back to stock because it retains the OEM terminal positions in the taillight harness. General Disclaimer: Blah.. Blah do at your own risk

The wiring is as follows: for the drivers side cut the white/black wire in cavity #2. then add a yellow jumper wire (vw part #000 979 141) to terminal #1 and connect it to the end of the white/black wire you just cut. Then take the other end of the white/black wire coming out of the harness and splice it into the red/black wire in cavity #3.

For the passenger side: cut the green/black wire in cavity #2. Add the other half of the yellow jumper wire to cavity #1 and connect it to the end of the green/black wire you just cut. Then take the other end of the green/black wire coming out of the harness and splice it into the purple/black wire in cavity #3.

In order to get the tail lights functioning properly you need either a VAG 5052/5051 or a VAG-COM to alter the Long Coding of the Central Electrics Controller. I will display the Long Coding I used from 4strings DIY but it may differ from the coding for individual cars. Below is the coding I am using. Make sure you record your original Long Coding before attempting to make any changes to the Central Electrics Controller.

Here is the Long Coding I'm using:

07 8F 8F 06 40 04 18 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 77 0B 5C 00 00

Enjoy!!

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I used tweezers that had a very pointy end as a terminal tool when I helped a friend with his OEM LED tail install.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
Nice except you still cut wires...

you still have to cut one wire anyways with switching the terminals

I used tweezers that had a very pointy end as a terminal tool when I helped a friend with his OEM LED tail install.

yea I tried every tweezer, paperclip, pin I could find and just didn't care about cutting one wire plus the last terminal didn't hold the jumper well anyways so switching them would make no difference

seanmcd

World's Greatest Driver
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
you still have to cut one wire anyways with switching the terminal

No, you don't have to cut any wires. I did mine by moving the wires around in the plug (shifting them over) - adding the yellow wire and using the same blue wire tap to connect the yellow wire to the other wire.

So if I sell the car - I'll remove the tap and yellow wire, shift the wires back to their original position, swap the stock tails back in, and undo the vag-com changes.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
if you do it right there is no cutting. you need to run some extra wires etc. paperclip works pretty decent as a removal tool as well.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
fuck whats right and wrong... OHH GOD I"M TOO FUCKING SCARED TO CUT WiRES my Warranty is VOIDID OH NOES!!!!!! what do people not understand about not having a tool and don't give me that BS paperclip idea because it doesn't work and it ruins your terminals

GotGTI?

caus GTI is raycekor. :-|
fuck whats right and wrong... OHH GOD I"M TOO FUCKING SCARED TO CUT WiRES my Warranty is VOIDID OH NOES!!!!!! what do people not understand about not having a tool and don't give me that BS paperclip idea because it doesn't work and it ruins your terminals

not to mention the chance of fuckin up the harness plug. i'm with ya on this Ultra, who cares about a snip here and a jumper there.

MentalSideArm

I am reasonably new to VAG-COM, and I believe I understand your long coding, but just to verify, under the CENT ELEC coding, I can just enter your long coding as stated above and hit enter? Or is there something in the long coding helper i need to check/uncheck. Your help is greatly appreciated.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
The coding I used was directly entered from 4string's diy which i went back and edited to add the functions I wanted. Like I said do at your own risk and also remember to write down your original long coding if u ever need to switch back to stock lights

MentalSideArm

Oh yeah I would never dream of holding someone responsible for my own tweaking. So doing at my own risk is understandable. I have messed around a bit with VAG, and figured out the remote window function, fogs as drls, etc, but these were all just checked boxes. The question I am trying to have answered is, I select central elec controller, go to coding and type in verbatim the code listed? I will of course back up any coding before hand so I can change back, I just wanted to know if I had to go into long coding helper and uncheck boxes, or if typing this code in will overwrite the previous? Again, sorry for what most likely sounds like a huge noobie question, but inquiring minds want to know. I have had non fully functional tails for a few months and want to get them working.. Again thanks a lot for your help

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
Yes u can type it in verbatim into the long coding helper without checking boxes. once the lights work go back and edit your coding to add the features you want