GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track MkV GTI

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
when you get to the point that you're squeezing 285's on a 7.5" (or even 8" or 8.5") wheel then you're not helping anything. You'll be crowning the tread of the tire and loosing contact patch as well as adding a good deal of useless unsprung mass.

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer
when you get to the point that you're squeezing 285's on a 7.5" (or even 8" or 8.5") wheel then you're not helping anything. You'll be crowning the tread of the tire and loosing contact patch as well as adding a good deal of useless unsprung mass.

thank you.

Steelracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI (2)
First autocross

Today the GTI had its first auto-x. We spent most of Saturday night rolling fenders, test fitting spacers, and cutting the strut tower too take advantage of the cross suspension camber plates. The car did not have an alignment for this event. Not knowing if the 18x9 wrapped with BFG R-1 265/35/18 would rub, we tried our best to eyeball the suspension set up. We had NO RUBBING during our 5 run event. The car performed flawlessly. This was the first time I had the car out pushing it on the new rubber. It took me up until the 5th run after adjusting tire pressure and becoming comfortable with the car, that I ran a good time. I placed 6th out of 17 SM cars, and 1 second or less behind the 2-5 placed cars. The SM class here in Pittsburgh is extremely competitive with a wide variety of cars. So we were very pleased.

speedform

Ready to race!
Looks great.
Were you running any camber up front? It looks like the wheel/tire width prevents you from achieving a lower center of gravity but I guess you were going for maximum contact patch instead.

Steelracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI (2)
Looks great.
Were you running any camber up front? It looks like the wheel/tire width prevents you from achieving a lower center of gravity but I guess you were going for maximum contact patch instead.

I was running 2.7 deg up front. With the right ride height and camber, as well as the cross suspension stiff springs it allows the 265's to tuck under the fender. I was as low as I can go while running 265/35/18 on a 18x9 wheel, any lower and my fenders would not be to happy.The car gets corner weighted next week before dubs at the beach.

AznRac3rPOI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I was running 2.7 deg up front. With the right ride height and camber, as well as the cross suspension stiff springs it allows the 265's to tuck under the fender. I was as low as I can go while running 265/35/18 on a 18x9 wheel, any lower and my fenders would not be to happy.The car gets corner weighted next week before dubs at the beach.

Cross FTW :happyanim:!!! did you order them with a different spring rate and valving? Oh FYI Adrian is no long with JIC. I own the car that JIC R&D the coil overs from. How do you like them so far?

Steelracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI (2)
Looks great.

I am running 3.2 degrees in the front and 2.6 degrees in the rear. I have about 1/16th toe in front, 0 in the rear. With the apr stage 3 kit anything less than 265's is inadequate.

Steelracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI (2)
Cross FTW :happyanim:!!! did you order them with a different spring rate and valving? Oh FYI Adrian is no long with JIC. I own the car that JIC R&D the coil overs from. How do you like them so far?

I have kept the stock valving and spring rate. This was the first season with all the major components on the car. I want to get a good feel for the car before I started fine tuning components. I have no major complaints with the suspension. It has performed flawlessly. However, the front dampening can be a bitch at times, and I had to cut the front strut tower mounts so that I have full access to the camber plates (which is more of a vw design flaw). I would def recommend the product.

AznRac3rPOI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I have kept the stock valving and spring rate. This was the first season with all the major components on the car. I want to get a good feel for the car before I started fine tuning components. I have no major complaints with the suspension. It has performed flawlessly. However, the front dampening can be a bitch at times, and I had to cut the front strut tower mounts so that I have full access to the camber plates (which is more of a vw design flaw). I would def recommend the product.

Oh wow.. how much of it did you cut? do you have any pics? Yea I can imagine how much of a pain it is to adjust anything form the top side

gti2008

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
steel racer, hit up the pittsburgh area forums, were having a meet on the 2nd and it would be cool if you came, i've been looking to get into auto X, but know nothing about it yet.

Steelracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI (2)
Oh wow.. how much of it did you cut? do you have any pics? Yea I can imagine how much of a pain it is to adjust anything form the top side

I will post a few within the week. :thumbsup:

Steelracer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI (2)
steel racer, hit up the pittsburgh area forums, were having a meet on the 2nd and it would be cool if you came, i've been looking to get into auto X, but know nothing about it yet.

I will check out the forum, where is the meet at? If its close I will bring her out for a cruise.:thumbup: