GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Cover Q&A (Please help)

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
I took my engine cover off today in an effort to diagnose the so called "crack" the dealer said it had and why they were so adamant about NOT fixing it....

I found that the Front Passenger plate that holds the Grommet was missing the bolt into the block.... The plate and grommet were hanging from my engine cover... Problem is, I really didn't feel like tearing into the car far enough to get the bolt back into the block without knowing how long it would take....

It is seemingly impossible to get a finger into that space to even seat the bolt, let alone get an Allen wrench in to tighten it....

So my question.... What all has to be removed to be able to get this mounted back on the block, and will it set off any codes or lights in the dash I should know about????

Thanks again for the help...
:help:

s4mt3k

binary four
Car(s)
'11 Tundra
Is this what you're talking about?? The bolt in the back on top of the stock heat shield?

If so the bolt should just screw on and as you see in the pic you can fit a tool easily to get a nut back on.

what I don't understand is how the hell did it come off...

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
Is this what you're talking about?? The bolt in the back on top of the stock heat shield?

If so the bolt should just screw on and as you see in the pic you can fit a tool easily to get a nut back on.

what I don't understand is how the hell did it come off...

I'll see if I can get a pic with the cover still on... Its the front passenger when sitting in the car, or from under the hood its the closest to your left hand...

0------0

0------0

^ that one

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
PICS added

This one is kinda blurry, but you can see the intake is outlined in yellow, the bottom arrow shows where the bolt is supposed to go... I had trouble getting my hand in there to find a bolt that fit, but when I did I couldn't get a tool into that space to tighten it.. (all work was done with the engine cover off, of course)

HPIM0257(2).jpg

This one kinda shows you the angle the bolt goes in, and the yellow highlights the intake in the way... the top arrow (yellow) marks the oil cap as a reference point...

HPIM0255.JPG

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
think you need a flexible extension with a torx point to put it there, or to remove the manifold in order to use any other kind of wrench.
HAve the exact same problem, but since I have a CAI and I'm not using the cover I don't care to much now.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
think you need a flexible extension with a torx point to put it there, or to remove the manifold in order to use any other kind of wrench.
HAve the exact same problem, but since I have a CAI and I'm not using the cover I don't care to much now.

I am still under warranty, otherwise I would have cut the cover from the stock air induction (connected to the cover) and found a way to mount it to the spot where a CAI mounts....

My engine cover is cracked, and I couldn't find out why the dealer kept saying it wasn't covered under warranty, when I pulled it off and saw the bolt was missing I figured they didn't want to pull off the intake just to put a bolt in right before they closed..... And arguing with me about the warranty coverage might pull one over on me and be easier on them...

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
you should really find a more mod-friendly dealer. Mine said that as long as i don't mess with the ECU (AKA get chiped), engine internals or the Cat I'm fine and under warranty.

Also that's not a wear-part so it IS covered by warranty, specially if you haven't touched it.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
you should really find a more mod-friendly dealer. Mine said that as long as i don't mess with the ECU (AKA get chiped), engine internals or the Cat I'm fine and under warranty.

Also that's not a wear-part so it IS covered by warranty, specially if you haven't touched it.

I tried telling them it's not a wear part, and that it houses the air intake, but they still dicked me over... It's okay though... I called corporate and told them it was knocking on the oil cap and if it were to break and release oil into the engine compartment and start an engine fire I would just get a new car... THAT got them moving... They are supposed to contact me by this Friday to schedule the time to get it fixed... I was wondering if there was any other place in the Houston area that was more mod friendly.. Know of any lol...?

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd

Know where to get one of these flexable drivers??? Been searching all morning and can't find anything that will work... :frown:

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
Finally got the bolt in the block last night, one of those barely get the hex into the tip of the bolt enough to turn it a millimeter each time until it snugs..... Engine cover still doesn't seat right; all the grommets are in good working shape and the posts are all in the correct position.... Still does not line up with the oil cap....

On a better note, VW logos are painted and in place, and I plan to window-tint-spray-smoke my tails this afternoon, weather pending....

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
They told me that they wouldn't warranty the engine cover because it was damaged by an outside source... That led me to believe they thought I was putting a CAI on the car and when I needed it serviced, put the old cover back on and broke it... Which was NOT the case... But its okay, i fixed it already...