GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any tips / tricks on interior trim removal?

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
I'm going to do some sound deadening tomorrow night after work and I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks on mk5 gti interior trim removal?

so... whatcha got? :paddle:

going to deaden the hatch area, and possibly some of the floor depending on how long it takes

punkfreak

Passed Driver's Ed
BE CAREFUL lol if something feels like it is stuck or held on by a screw then guess what it is. Don't just pull also use something strong and plastic to pry the pannels off in the audio world they are called plastic panel removal tools and they can be bought at any good auto parts store good luck keep informed

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
yep, I have a whole 8 piece set of different nylon wedge tools with different ends. Harbor Freight FTW.. $3.99

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
You'll find that gutting the GTI is pretty easy. Just unhook your battery before you do it so you don't throw any fault codes. Their is airbag sensors everywhere and unplugging them with the car live will start throwing codes.

Other than that, watch for T20 bolts. They put them all over the car, some in very strange spots. If something is coming off, chances are there is a T20 some where on the panel holding that sucker in place. Look for little caps because they usually hide them behind those.

I got as far as the panels on my car, and the back seat. Never took the front seats or any of the carpet out, but had almost every interior panel off by this point. It really is a piece of cake once you get into it. Don't be discouraged and take your time and you'll be fine.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
LOL, I already have an airbag fault.. I pulled my center dash out to send to Carbon Dynamics, and I forgot to plug the damn airbag light thing back in before I started the car.. so I just left it disconnected for now. I'll just clear it with vag-com when I'm done with the stereo stuff

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
are you dampening the doors?

yup. got two rolls of raamat bxt, and 6 or 8 yards of ensolite foam. I'm going to take the outer door skins off and fully mat them, then totally seal the inner panels and then foam over the top

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
yup. got two rolls of raamat bxt, and 6 or 8 yards of ensolite foam. I'm going to take the outer door skins off and fully mat them, then totally seal the inner panels and then foam over the top

could you please document this process with pictures? not a full on writeup, but just take shots along the way and post them up, i am planning on doing the exact same thing before i even put in the head unit.

my first change will be dampening/sound deadening the doors so i would love to actually see it before i do it.

good luck and if you can find the time to document, it will be much appreciated! also let us know if you find that it makes a significant difference just with everything stock as it is after you are done with insulation.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
will do. I don't know where I'm going to start tonight, but I brought the camera. hopefully they dont get any big deliveries today in the shop so I can still fit my car in there after work

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
will do. I don't know where I'm going to start tonight, but I brought the camera. hopefully they dont get any big deliveries today in the shop so I can still fit my car in there after work

good luck man, oh and get some of this, work all night! slow and steady pace...

Attachments

• st_redbull_f.jpg
    st_redbull_f.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 7,538

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
man, this sure is a pain in the balls. I've been going since like 5:30pm or so.. kinda slow going since I had to keep running back and forth looking for tools here at work. I also had to lookup a bunch of howtos on the net for removing certain pieces of the trim since they didn't seem to want to come out. There's a shitload of clips! broke a couple small ones here and there, but nothing major

I got the hatch floor, wheelwells, back wall, and under the rear seats like 85% done. took a bunch of pics that I'll post tomorrow or sunday. I haven't tackled the doors yet, but I think thats a good job for tomorrow.

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
man, this sure is a pain in the balls. I've been going since like 5:30pm or so.. kinda slow going since I had to keep running back and forth looking for tools here at work. I also had to lookup a bunch of howtos on the net for removing certain pieces of the trim since they didn't seem to want to come out. There's a shitload of clips! broke a couple small ones here and there, but nothing major

I got the hatch floor, wheelwells, back wall, and under the rear seats like 85% done. took a bunch of pics that I'll post tomorrow or sunday. I haven't tackled the doors yet, but I think thats a good job for tomorrow.

nice bro, good job! just keep a steady pace, dont go too fast because the quality of work will go down. i am looking forward to seeing the pics.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
I didnt take enough pics to make DIY's, but I did use other peoples that were already done. I just took progress pics of the stuff I did in the back. I will take more when I do the doors though since I don't know of anyone who's done sound deadening on the outer panels when they were removed

If you want, I can post up the links to the other diy's that I used