GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleanest looking Double-Din Dash Kit?

snwcrash

Passed Driver's Ed
Was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a double-din dash kit. From your experiences which ones blend in best with the texture/color of the dash? I'm looking to mount a 7" wide Lilliput.

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
I have tried three, American, Metra and another brand that I forgot. They all suck. A friend was going to clone one of the kits in a one piece aluminum unit, but I have not been able to get over to him to pick it up and get it painted yet.

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
NO kit right out of the package will blend in perfectly. You HAVE to modify them. Search around, there are a few of use that have done this already and have matched it pretty close to stock look.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Agreed with simplicity, that kit seems to fit the best from what I've seen.

Whatever you do, don't go with the cheap Ebay kits. I got one and it fits like shit. I knew I was going to be hacking it up so I didn't care, but if it wasn't for fitting my 8" touchscreen in, I would have bought a quality kit like the one above.

Edit: You can see the gaps on the sides of mine.

snwcrash

Passed Driver's Ed
Well after doing a google search for the American International VW-K1017 Installation Kit I somehow found a post back in these forums. Thanks for all your replies! This was the one thing about installing a CarPC in my car that bothered me; keeping the dash looking stock.

yep its mine - my write up is buried deep on another thread somewhere so I have cross posted it - it might be useful for you mike...

Even if your a COMPLETE noob (like me) you can still get a pretty good result with a little patience
See below for notes on my Kenwood DDX-7039 with the BestKits surround

Luckily the factory surround is not textured and its painted a very dark flat grey - very noob friendly

The tips I picked up and tried to follow:

Materials:
Instant adhesive - I got good results from glueing the inner face surround to the main surround before I filled it.
Filler - use a plastic filler suitable for bumper repair or similar - not bondo or fiberglass - what you trying to do is match filler to the plastic of the surround as close as possible so it shrinks and expands the same (we dont want it cracking out)
Sandpaper - approx 200 grit wet paper for rough shaping, then 400, 800, 1200
Sanding block - one of the cork ones will be fine.
Alcohol prep wash - for wiping down before filling/painting
Masking Tape - protecting the edges from paint build up and overspray
Primer - use a plastic primer - again you can find bumper repair primer in a spray pack - the idea of this is to get a really good grip on the plastic
High build primer - may be required if the the plastic primer doesnt "build" enough to smooth out any marks
Finish coat - you can have your local paint shop colour match the factory surround in a matt finish spray pack. I have seen really good results with off the shelf flat black though.

Technique:
Most important be patient.
Protect the edges of the surround - from nicks, scratches and paint build up. Especially the inside edge around the head unit - try and keep this covered up and perfect until ready for the final coat.
The Best Kits surround is abs plastic and the grain sands off nicely. Take note of what your trying to match. The factory surround is smooth and FLAT. Try and keep the new surround flat to match. Flat surfaces with cleanly defined transitions and edges is what your going for - look at how the OEM dash is around the heater knobs for eg.
Always use a sanding block. Its really hard to apply even pressure with your finger tips
Dont be afraid of sanding. We want the absolute minimum amount of filler and primer to do the job so dont let it build up excessively - sand it back between coats.
Be clean - the tiniest bit of dust in the final coat will show up badly.

Method:
Sand the kit back with say 200 paper.
Wipe down with your prep wash.
If the kit is a 2 piece job like the BestKits one glue it together.
Fill any gaps with your plastic filler - work quickly and remember you will be sanding back.
As soon as the filler starts to harder sand roughly to shape.
Wipe down.
Apply filler in any low spots - sand - wipe - repeat as many times as you need to to get the shape right.
Spray on plastic primer. Use light coats. Keep the spray moving - start before the piece, spray across, stop when well past. Overlap each run.
Move up to 400 paper after maybe the second primer coat.
Repeat coats of primer or high build as required, sanding then wiping between coats until the surface is perfect. Finish with say 800 paper.
Apply the finish coats as above, sanding with 1200 paper and wiping between.
Let the finished job harden up before you do the final install.
Admire your work.

The ribs for single din fitting have to be carefully cut out...(Left Pic) After a few layers of filler (Right Pic)

Test fitting

After first coat of primer

Final result

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
the American International / Bestkits double din kit is the best fitting. It's still got the wrong color, texture, and usually a bit warped ont he top, but it is the best base to start with

JP2008

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Man where did you get the plastic filler, cant find it anywhere here in the states. I need to redo mine, I used fiberglass but would like to try the plastic filler.

Could you recommend a place?

Sorry didnt clean up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 22,813
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 22,713
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 22,622

gio94

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey i was wondering someone could point me in the right direction to finding one of those double din American International dash kits online. Thanks!

njohanss

Ready to race!
The connects2 dash kit looks pretty nice as well, there is a thread around here somewhere that has a pic of it...

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Northfield over here did a great job on mine. I will be selling mine soon if anyone is keen, it cost about AUD $70 (i think) including preparing the surface, but is an exact match, suits Alpine 7":

(Will also be selling my Connects2 gear + phantom antenna booster)

hrosenberg33

Passed Driver's Ed
The connects2 dash kit looks pretty nice as well, there is a thread around here somewhere that has a pic of it...

This is my connects3 installed. It really fits very well, it's not exactly stock but for being off the shelf (and if you are not handy like the posters above) it looks great.:cool:

There are few more pics on my thread about the AVIC-F7010BT unit I had installed.

Cheers

HR