GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FM reception not as great with Pioneer Avic F90BT

skwirl

Ready to race!
I had a Pioneer Avic F90BT installed in my MKV R32 two weeks ago and my FM reception has more static now then when I had the OEM stereo installed. I notice this more when the car is driving on the freeway.

I'm using the correct Metra amplified antenna adapter for our cars and AM reception comes in just fine. I have the FM radio signal screen up on the Avic F90BT while I drive and when I'm tuned into the major radio stations I'll notice the reception bars decrease and increase sporadically, as well as the red "Stereo" icon disappearing for a second or two sometimes.

Any ideas on what the problem/solution might be? Everything seems to be hooked up right and my installer can't think of anything that would cause this.

Last edited:

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Did your antenna adapter come with a powered 12v feed on it? If not, you'll have to get another adapter that includes a lead for 12v positive. That will give you much better reception if you don't have it already.

I will say that AM/FM reception in the GTI sucks to begin with. It's way too sensitive to outside interference. When I want to listen to the radio I have to shut down my CarPC or all I get is static. Once it's off, I get decent reception from my HU, but no where near great.

skwirl

Ready to race!
Did your antenna adapter come with a powered 12v feed on it? If not, you'll have to get another adapter that includes a lead for 12v positive. That will give you much better reception if you don't have it already.

I will say that AM/FM reception in the GTI sucks to begin with. It's way too sensitive to outside interference. When I want to listen to the radio I have to shut down my CarPC or all I get is static. Once it's off, I get decent reception from my HU, but no where near great.

I purchased the Metra 40-EU55 amplied antenna adapter for the install, the blue cable is the 12v positive lead right?

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/40_EU55.html

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
I purchased the Metra 40-EU55 amplied antenna adapter for the install, the blue cable is the 12v positive lead right?

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/40_EU55.html

You are correct. As I said, overall the reception sucks.

You may just be out of luck on this one unless you replace the factory antenna. Since the OEM antenna is considered a diversity antenna it has 2 physical antennas and the OEM stereo pulls the best signal from the 2 for reception. Aftermarket stereos don't have this functionality. Really puts a damper on things if you want good radio reception.

skwirl

Ready to race!
Damn it. Maybe I can get better reception by installing the HD radio module.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Damn it. Maybe I can get better reception by installing the HD radio module.

I wouldn't count on it. As far as I know, it uses the same antenna. If it is better, let me know. I'm debating installing HD radio myself and if I could get better reception with it on my PC I could take the HU out of my glove box. :thumbsup:

laurentl13320

Passed Driver's Ed
Is the Metra 40-EU55 really necessary?? if it doesn't perform well why spend the money??

in fact since several years, all stock radios from vw have an integrate amp for the tuner fm/am inside the radio, that's why when you replace your stock radio it's better to spend money in a amplified antenna adapter. But it depends your new radio or nav, sometimes you don't need it because the reception is enough good.

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer
When I am not listening to the Ipod, CD's or XM...I actually listen to AM talk radio ( It makes the traffic bearable sometimes). I noticed my new Pioneer 8000 has really crappy AM reception and marginal FM reception.

I popped for a dual Fakra adaptor from England because I cant find one in the USA. I ordered it a couple days ago and they emailed me that it was on the way a couple of days ago. Once I get it installed, I'll report back if it makes a difference.

Here it is:
http://www.celsusice.co.uk/product_details.aspx?Product_code=AAN2203

I got it from these guys:
http://www.deals-on-ice.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=748

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
When I am not listening to the Ipod, CD's or XM...I actually listen to AM talk radio ( It makes the traffic bearable sometimes). I noticed my new Pioneer 8000 has really crappy AM reception and marginal FM reception.

I popped for a dual Fakra adaptor from England because I cant find one in the USA. I ordered it a couple days ago and they emailed me that it was on the way a couple of days ago. Once I get it installed, I'll report back if it makes a difference.

Here it is:
http://www.celsusice.co.uk/product_details.aspx?Product_code=AAN2203

I got it from these guys:
http://www.deals-on-ice.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=748

Have you received this and installed it yet? Just curious how it works, if so. Thanks!

Frank Rizzo

Have you received this and installed it yet? Just curious how it works, if so. Thanks!

Not yet. Shipping from Jolly 'Ole England takes a while...:iono:

Frank Rizzo

I got the Dual Fakra Friday:

I installed it today. The best I can tell it helps FM reception (IMHO) but it absolutely kills the AM reception. I dont listen to any FM because I have Sat and Ipod, so it does not help me. I ended up taking it out.

I think there is a reason they dont sell it here in the states... :mad0259:

GoBlueVDubDude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV, Red
I got the Dual Fakra Friday:

I installed it today. The best I can tell it helps FM reception (IMHO) but it absolutely kills the AM reception. I dont listen to any FM because I have Sat and Ipod, so it does not help me. I ended up taking it out.

I think there is a reason they dont sell it here in the states... :mad0259:

I am wondering if the newer Pioneer decks just don't supply enough power on their antenna lead to power up the factory antenna amp properly? In fact, the installation manual for my F90BT says specifically not to use the antenna lead to power factory amplified antennas. What if one was to connect the 12V lead on the antenna adapter to a switched 12v source? Might this work? Anyone care to try? Would you be willing to try this, Frank? I would try it out, but I am unable to install anything yet because I don't have a heated garage and it is freezing here. :thumbdown:

By the way, just for the sake of experimentation, I have purchased both the Metra single Fakra amplified adapter, as well as the dual Fakra connector that Frank used above. If no one else tries a little experimenting before I get a chance to do my installation, I will check out several different wiring scenarios and report back which works best.

I would hate to install my F90BT, only to find out I have lost my AM/FM reception. I listen to AM quite a bit, myself, and don't want to lose that. FM isn't as important to me, but I still want the option to listen to it.

Frank Rizzo

I am wondering if the newer Pioneer decks just don't supply enough power on their antenna lead to power up the factory antenna amp properly? In fact, the installation manual for my F90BT says specifically not to use the antenna lead to power factory amplified antennas. What if one was to connect the 12V lead on the antenna adapter to a switched 12v source? Might this work? Anyone care to try? Would you be willing to try this, Frank? I would try it out, but I am unable to install anything yet because I don't have a heated garage and it is freezing here. :thumbdown:

By the way, just for the sake of experimentation, I have purchased both the Metra single Fakra amplified adapter, as well as the dual Fakra connector that Frank used above. If no one else tries a little experimenting before I get a chance to do my installation, I will check out several different wiring scenarios and report back which works best.

I would hate to install my F90BT, only to find out I have lost my AM/FM reception. I listen to AM quite a bit, myself, and don't want to lose that. FM isn't as important to me, but I still want the option to listen to it.

Buy this one from me, it's in perfect shape. You can experiment with it all you want...

I tried lots of stuff, I hooked it up to the switched +12v accessory lead out of the pioneer head unit (Not the antenna lead) AND I hooked it directly to the +12v battery power. The dual Fakra definitely helps the FM reception, but I think the AM frequency steps in England is different than the US - so that's why the AM section does not work