GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! windshield wipers quit working!

mike1947

Old Man
Damn, out of nowhere, with no warning, my (front) windshield wipers stopped working just as it started raining. They had worked when I first started up this morning, but stopped after I picked up a friend. I searched everywhere here and on vortex and just a general search on Google. Supposedly it could be anything: bad fuse, lose bolt, bad motor. My dealership had no idea. It seems amazing to me that the GTI would have a dash light warning of a tail light bulb about to go out but no warning about a fuse. Anybody got any idea?

Thanks friends, and happy Thanksgiving.:mad0259:

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
Damn, out of nowhere, with no warning, my (front) windshield wipers stopped working just as it started raining. They had worked when I first started up this morning, but stopped after I picked up a friend. I searched everywhere here and on vortex and just a general search on Google. Supposedly it could be anything: bad fuse, lose bolt, bad motor. My dealership had no idea. It seems amazing to me that the GTI would have a dash light warning of a tail light bulb about to go out but no warning about a fuse. Anybody got any idea?

Thanks friends, and happy Thanksgiving.:mad0259:

may not be useful but my rear wiper stopped working for a bit.. turns out the wires are located somewhere in a seat pillar and they had to replace a harness

Graubart

Ready to race!
Did the dealership check the fuse? (duh!) Sometimes a fuse can be bad without appearing bad, so replace it with a good one, just to be sure. Do the wipers work on any of the settings? If so, a good guess is that the problem is in the stalk switch on the steering column.

mike1947

Old Man
Wiper Problem.

have you tried listening for the motor going?

I didn't listen for the motor yet; will do tonight. I got a full set of fuses from the dealer today but my GTI is at home as I didn't want to drive in the rain. Still, it seems very odd to me that something like this could even happen. I saw in the A3 forum that there were a number of wiper motor failures. Hopefully, it was just a momentary quirk and all will be well tonight.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
I didn't listen for the motor yet; will do tonight. I got a full set of fuses from the dealer today but my GTI is at home as I didn't want to drive in the rain. Still, it seems very odd to me that something like this could even happen. I saw in the A3 forum that there were a number of wiper motor failures. Hopefully, it was just a momentary quirk and all will be well tonight.

yea, check to see if u hear a clicking sound near ur dashboard.. ull know if its even getting a signal

mike1947

Old Man
Wipers quit; but fixed themselves

Well, when I went home after work and started up the wipers worked! I don't know why they quit but at least the GTI can fix itself.:thumbsup: