GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

trailer hitch for a GTI?

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
i have a yakima roof rack and i love it, i use it for skis as well as my bike, looks sexy too

DooMMAsteR

native German
so, ok....without the needs of electrics, it is an easy thing

but why are the US-Hitches not installed as the Eurospec hitch?
it is hidden behind the bumper, and has a small removable flap
so it is really invisible when not in use (don't the VW dealers offer afterfit packages? you could get it without the CU)
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=525149&postcount=14
as seen there, he ordered it from germany
the CU supports bulb check and activates the trailer-stabilisation of the ESC-Unit

VW_GTeye

Passed Driver's Ed
DooMMAsteR, I would venture this guess: There isnt an OEM hitch by VW (at least, none they are offering for sale) That means that there isnt a huge demand, otherwise VW would already be capitalizing on it. Therefore, the few people that do want one, aren't going to want an aftermarket bar that messes up their car, or require them to drill a hole through their bumper. Ergo, the hitches available are really work arounds (around the bumpers and exhaust and etc) Im with you though...there really should be something like this available through VW

DooMMAsteR

native German
hmmm
yeah
over here, we have ball-hitches only and they are all fully integrated (every car is prepared for a hitch from factory, and every aftermaket hitch uses the mounts, why don't the american produces fit them like that, they are even the same on the MKV, Jetta, Sportwagen, and would fit on each)

goldn

capt. no dub
Car(s)
E91
i had one...
on a four door:

old photo's. hitch has since been removed to make way for other mods.
worked really well, except for the noise from the exhaust hanger rubbing the hitch frame.
made an annoying sound.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Car(s)
08 GTi,06 Mazda MX-5
Which unit has the best fit ? The "Hidden Hitch" or the "Draw Tite"...
Does it rub against the bumper or exhaust ?

I'll probably pick one up soon for our 5-door...The roof mounts while very nice, are just too expensive...

2Tall4Most

Ready to race!
Here are some pics of the setup I've been using for the past few months, and I really like it. For the most part the hitch is unnoticeable and I don't have to mess with roof racks, dirt on the roof of my car, removing wheels, forks gouging paint, wind noise, etc. This setup costs more, but for me it's worth it in the long run. And mounting bikes takes about 5 seconds apiece. The only drawback I've run into is having to be very careful with steep inclines which may cause the knob on the end of the rack to scrape the ground.

I got my hitch from www.drawtite.com. At the time I paid $116.18 plus $13.00 for shipping. The part number is 24770 and it will now cost you $146.25 plus shipping.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 5,055
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,611
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    524.4 KB · Views: 2,603
  • IMG_0037.JPG