GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3/R32/Cupra 2 brake upgrade

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Last week I've installed the S3/R32/Cupra 2 front brakes on my '05 GTI. The parts required for this are :

- brake caliper left blue > 1K0 615 123 G
- brake caliper right blue > 1K0 615 124 G
- caliper carrier blue > 1K0 615 125 F
- retaining spring > 4F0 615 269
- brake disc ventilated 345x30 5/112 > 1K0 615 301 M
- splash shield for brake disc left > 1K0 615 311 C
- splash shield for brake disc right > 1K0 615 312 C
- brake pads with wear indicator > 1K0 698 151 B
- hexagonal head bolt M8x12 > N 907 186 02
- brake hose > 1K0 611 701 N
- brake pipe hose from brake hose to piston housing left > 1K0 611 763 A
- brake pipe hose from brake hose to piston housing right > 1K0 611 764 A
- retaining clip > 191 611 715
- bracket for brake hose left > 1K0 611 841 A
- bracket for brake hose right > 1K0 611 842 A

Install time was approx. 2-3hrs but I've also changed the brake fluid (RBF600). Brake is yet under burning-in so I'll post up more impressions later

Attachments

• brake 1 - forum.JPG
    brake 1 - forum.JPG
    495.5 KB · Views: 15,052
  • brake 2 - forum.jpg
    brake 2 - forum.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 13,002
  • brake 3 - forum.jpg
    brake 3 - forum.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 9,933
  • brake 4 - forum.jpg
    brake 4 - forum.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 17,843
  • brake 4' - forum.jpg
    brake 4' - forum.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 11,390
  • brake 5 - forum.jpg
    brake 5 - forum.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 10,761
  • brake 6 - forum.jpg
    brake 6 - forum.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 11,922
  • brake 7 - forum.jpg
    brake 7 - forum.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 13,966
  • brake 8 - forum.jpg
    brake 8 - forum.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 15,219
  • brake 9 - forum.jpg
    brake 9 - forum.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 9,698

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
final pics with the wheel on the car !

Attachments

• brake 10 - forum.jpg
    brake 10 - forum.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 9,850
  • brake 11 - forum.jpg
    brake 11 - forum.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 19,843

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
I took all the parts from a local dealer. Cost was comparable to the OEM R32 kits offered in US. I spent about 900-1000 Euro on parts !

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Drove an S3 today and must say although my brakes are way better than OEm now, those from S3 are still a little better. Must be because of the rear brakes or the brake pump because these are the only differences between the S3 and my car now regarding brakes ! While the S3 kept braking, at my car ABS seems to kick in earlier. It's like the tire friction is not enough (GY assymetric on my car and continental sportcontact 2 on his) or brake balance isn't quite the best ! What do u guys say ? Anyone upgraded the rear also ?

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
Drove an S3 today and must say although my brakes are way better than OEm now, those from S3 are still a little better. Must be because of the rear brakes or the brake pump because these are the only differences between the S3 and my car now regarding brakes ! While the S3 kept braking, at my car ABS seems to kick in earlier. It's like the tire friction is not enough (GY assymetric on my car and continental sportcontact 2 on his) or brake balance isn't quite the best ! What do u guys say ? Anyone upgraded the rear also ?
There alot of differences in both cars brake balance AWD, larger rear brakes,suspension( ride height and spring rate most importantly),what about your rear pads??? maybe different, master cylinder? abs pump? or ABS coding???.
I have the R-32 front kit with Hawk HPS pads on all 4 corners I havent really tested it to that point because Im just finishing up a new clutch and suspension. I should have it up and running this weekend ill let you know how the balance is on my car .Im going to be looking into a rear big brake kit when ECS has it done sometime next year I think it will be a big help with my heavier rear end Jetta. I had it in my MK VI GLI and it braked well even with the smaller front brakes.
Bob.G

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, suspension is out of discussion since I have Bilstein B16/PSS10 and my friend has OEM springs and Bilstein dampers. Here, the advantage should be on my side. Regarding the brakes, I have the R32/S3 brakes in front and OEM in the rear. All pads are stock ! His pads were stock also !

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, suspension is out of discussion since I have Bilstein B16/PSS10 and my friend has OEM springs and Bilstein dampers. Here, the advantage should be on my side. Regarding the brakes, I have the R32/S3 brakes in front and OEM in the rear. All pads are stock ! His pads were stock also !

If you have a Vag -tool you can monitor each wheel via the ABS sensor and see which one(s) are kicking in .My 04GLI I had the fronts kicking in on me when i changes to H2sport drop spindles and found that the first few production spindles didnt have the correct counter bore so I modded the abs sensor it self to get a closer gap to the abs ring which fixed my abs sensor kicking in to early .Bob.G

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, I don't exactly understand what you mean (my english is not that advanced) but today I've run some tests today. It seems to me that the ABS kicks in a little too early. Car stops decently but not as good as S3. What's strange is that I hear absolutely no tire squealing while under hard braking. I'va also put the vag-com but don't know what to monitor under ABS ! Is there any tutorial or adaptation that can be done from Vag ?

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion