GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Wax Review from ConsumerReports.org

haamsuplo

Ready to race!
CR Quick Recommendations
If your car has a weathered finish and needs a deep cleaning; both are CR Best Buys:
Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 $7
Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 $7

Both are all-around cleaner waxes that did well in all of our tests. But Black Magic needs extra buffing to prevent streaking.

For an easy shine and compatiblity with plastics:
Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry $6

It does not clean well or last long, but it’s good for a quick shine.

If your vehicle is new or still has a newer finish:
Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 $6

It is easy to use, is economical, and won’t degrade the existing shine, but you’ll have to reapply it frequently to maintain the protection.

OVERVIEW
Quality shine for less

In our test of car waxes, we found that pricier ones favored by enthusiasts do not necessarily work better than some less-expensive brands. The two top performers cost just $7, while a product selling for $32 ranked no better than the middle of the pack.

We also found that any wax good enough to provide some protection still requires a dose of good old-fashioned hard work. Easy-to-use spray-on, wipe-off products may save time and work, but they fared worst in our durability tests and were least effective at cleaning. Liquid and paste waxes did better as a group, but they required more effort to apply and remove.

With the advent of the clear coat, the transparent protective top layer of paint that has been used on new cars for the past few decades, you aren’t likely to improve the shine on any new vehicle. But over time, sunlight, acid rain, road debris, and other environmental factors take their toll on a vehicle’s finish. Regular washing is the most important aspect of paint care, but the added protection of wax can also help.

Many newer waxes and polishes are made of synthetic ingredients, but some are still formulated with natural waxes such as Carnauba, as they have been for *generations. The synthetic waxes in this test, however, are most likely quite different from the ones in our May 2000 test. Since then, manufacturers have reformulated their products, reducing levels of volatile organic compounds to meet California Air Resources Board regulations.

Trade-offs with waxes

When we tested 28 products, including 16 liquid waxes, 5 pastes, and 7 of the spray-on, wipe-off variety, we found that liquid waxes provide the best cleaning and protection. But contrary to conventional wisdom, in our tests they required more effort than paste waxes to apply and remove. As a group, liquids were the hardest to apply evenly, and they took the most work to buff out. In addition, some left a powdery residue that had to be wiped off. Even the top-rated Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And our other best all-around choice, Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes.

Paste waxes were once the most common type of wax; now they are the least. They also were once the hardest to apply, but new formulations are easier to spread. Pastes often come with a reusable applicator to spread the wax, a convenience that makes it easier to apply the wax neatly and keep it off glass or plastic surfaces. But some of those applicators must be moistened before use.

Spray-on, wipe-off products are the newest development in car wax. Convenience and time savings are their strong suits. Some can even be applied to a car still wet from washing. But convenience comes at a cost, since this group fared worst in our durability tests.

How to choose

All waxes require elbow grease, patience, and time. Depending on how fast you work, how thorough you are, the size of your vehicle, and the product you choose, expect to spend at least an hour to do a decent job. Match the car wax to your car-care needs to see which type of product best suits your needs.

Consider the age of your car. If It’s one or two years old or still has a good finish, an easy spray wax might be all you need. But keep in mind that these products wear out the fastest. No wax will improve the shine on a newer car. But if you don’t plan to replace your car for a while, waxing will help preserve the finish over time.

If you have an older car, or one whose finish has already begun to oxidize or has embedded grime, you may want to consider a product that scored high for cleaning to help bring back and maintain the finish. Liquid waxes proved the best in cleaning.

Watch out for abrasion. Waxes can be abrasive, some more than others, and the tiny particles in car waxes or harsh chemicals can leave fine scratches or a haze on your car’s finish.

Dark-colored vehicles show scratches more easily than lighter-colored ones. If you own a black or dark-colored vehicle, be especially wary of products that scored low in our scratching and hazing tests.

The same abrasiveness can make clear-coated surfaces look hazy or cloudy when the finish is marred by fine scratches, giving the paint a duller look than before waxing. Most wax packaging indicates whether a product is safe for clear-coat finishes.

Consider how much plastic is on your car. Some waxes can leave a visible residue on nonglossy, porous plastic parts such as bumpers, plastic body panels, and door trim. Those parts are often black or gray, and some newer cars may have a lot of them. If that sounds like your car, choose a product that scored well in our compatibility-with-plastic tests. Once wax gets on those surfaces, it may be necessary to use a commercially available plastic cleaner to get rid of it.

If saving time and effort is your priority and your car’s paint is in excellent condition, a spray-on, wipe-off product may be your best bet. Spray-on waxes can also be used for a quick touch-up between conventional waxings. These waxes don’t clean as well as or last as long as liquids or pastes, but that’s not an issue if you wax often. And the more often you wax, the more you’ll appreciate their ease of application.

With any wax you choose, we recommend you first try using it on an inconspicuous area such as a doorjamb. And regardless of how hard you work, how much you spend, or what longevity claims manufacturers make, don’t expect any wax to last all that long. All of the products we tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks.

Product Price Overall score Size Test results

LIQUIDS

1 Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 CR Best Buy
Price $7 Overall Score 84

2 Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 CR Best Buy
Price $7 Overall Score 84

3 Eagle One Nanowax
Price $12 Overall Score 75

4 3M Perfect-it Show Car Liquid Wax 39026
Price $11 Overall Score 73

5 DuPont Teflon Ultra Wax CWX1030
Price $8 Overall Score 71

6 Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Wax
Price $10 Overall Score 68

7 Nu Finish NF-76
Price $8 Overall Score 68

8 Zymol Cleaner Wax Z503
Price 20 Overall Score 68

9 Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Liquid
Price 15 Overall Score 67

10 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss T-412R
Price $9 Overall Score 64

11 Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax 11171
Price $20 Overall Score 62

12 Griot's Garage Paint Sealant 11075
Price $15 Overall Score 62

13 Armor All Wax-it-Dry Gel
Price $4 Overall Score 61

14 Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
Price $6 Overall Score 60

15 3M One Step Cleaner Wax-Light Oxidation Remover
Price $15 Overall Score 58

16 Turtle Wax F21 T-27R
Price $7 Overall Score 49

17 Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell T-123R
Price $5 Overall Score 43

PASTES

18 Nu Finish NFP-80
Price $8 Overall Score 71

19 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss T-411R
Price $9 Overall Score 67

20 P21S Concours-Look Carnauba Wax
Price $32 Overall Score 61

21 Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste
Price $15 Overall Score 50

SPRAYS

22 Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry
Price $6 Overall Score 54

23 Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax & Dry T-9
Price $6 Overall Score 54

24 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss T-413R
Price $5 Overall Score 53

25 Griot's Garage Spray-On Wax 11098
Price $13 Overall Score 49

26 Turtle Wax Express Shine T-136R
Price $6 Overall Score 47

27 Zymol Detail Z519
Price $15 Overall Score 45

28 Meguiar's NXT Generation Spray Wax
Price $7 Overall Score 42

dmclone

Oval Champion
They didn't test the good stuff. Where is Zaino?

I rely on CR for washers, mowers, etc but these types of things I ignore because they always leave off the top-end stuff.

Same thing for speakers.

They do have some good info though on the different types of polish/wax.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I find it amazing how high they rate Turtle Wax when I've never heard or seen anyone I know who has been around cars forever even mention using it. Most have said Turtle Wax sucks. Then again, CR tries to actually "performance test" cars too.

I have seen the results of Zaino first hand...by far the best system out there. Pricey, time consuming, but the best.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Remember consumer reports is written by and for the great unwashed masses. Not for enthusiasts. If you feel confident you are choosing a great wax based on their reccomendations. Have fun!

Oh and there's an old saying:
Cheap
Quick
Good

Choose 2 you can't get all three.....

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
Nice I use Turtle Wax, always have, does the job for me :)

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
scuderiavw said:
Consumer Guides is for the WEAK...

But thx for sharing the information.
:laugh: I must confess, I don't agree with the reviews either. Oh yeah, and I'll go for the one out of three thing azmc (Good):thumbsup:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I nevar follow their advice after the POS vacuum they rated "Best Buy"... and since the purchase my wife constantly reminds me of what a POS it is and "guess who bought it?"

There are several detailing forums that offer good info these days.

I prefer Lustro products, I used that in my Detail Shop. For over-the-counter Meguair's is darn good too!

http://www.golustro.com/

sonomamkvdsg

7 time F1 Champ
Car(s)
2006 MKV DSG TR
black magic and turtle wax (there 2 top performers) are probably owned by Toyota or Honda because that it all consumer reports ever likes. If I want the four dorks (locked in a room) that work for that company to tell me what to buy I will get out my pocket protector and let their very biased opions lead the way. How ever the best way to find sominthing you like is to ask you friends (they usually don't want to piss you off) pr try some your self and make your own opinion.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I've found that using the correct TECHNIQUES for washing, paint cleaning, polishing, and waxing are more a factor than the brand of wax used.

If you are using one of the high quality waxes/sealants such as Klasse, Autoglym, Zaino.....

Turtle wax etc is just crap

koenigsegg

unparelled finish

Don't hesitate, use a 0000 steel wool and a little bit of laquer thinner. This will give your car a finish unlike you've ever seen:lol: