GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Fiber Hood

M-Power M3

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know where a good place to get an OEM style CF hood?

So far I've seen the seibon one but have heard bad and good things about it.

Any others that you would suggest? I'm not too interested in weight savings but just good quality and something w/a good weave :thumbsup:

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Car(s)
CW MkV

MarioR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk5 R32 MY07
Are carbon hoods legal? Someone told me they aren't but they may be FOS.

FOS...dunno..but.. ive also heard that....

one reason i got was because CF can "splinter" in accidents......

but dunno... 4 sure anyway??..

mario

Jig

Flow Motion

andkgood

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
yeah they aren't allowed in certain places because of damage it can do in accidents.

i was told that its because non carbon hoods crumple, while carbon hoods shatter, if they dont stay rigid.

dont quote me on that though.

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
I have the OSIR cf hood, and the quality is good. Not sure what happened, but after awhile of installing my hood, a sort of oxidation (I don't know if you call it that) occurred where the clear coat separated from the carbon fiber..

if someone has answers, greatly appreciated.

UV protection and CF has been a big issue. It's the reason anytime Carbon Fiber is used by OEM, it's painted. GM is the first major OEM to offer unpainted CF in a production car, the ZR1 Corvette

" The fenders, hood, B-pillar and roof are all carbon fiber, as are the new front splitter, rocker extensions and rear spoiler."

GM says they have a new secret formula for making CF last in the sun

.:R #2734

Ready to race!
Yeah, and the clearcoat that they use costs $65k per gallon (per MotorTrend)

M-Power M3

Passed Driver's Ed
UV protection and CF has been a big issue. It's the reason anytime Carbon Fiber is used by OEM, it's painted. GM is the first major OEM to offer unpainted CF in a production car, the ZR1 Corvette

" The fenders, hood, B-pillar and roof are all carbon fiber, as are the new front splitter, rocker extensions and rear spoiler."

GM says they have a new secret formula for making CF last in the sun

What about BMW and their CSL w/CF roof? Pretty sure that was out before the ZR1...question is how well is the CF holding up now lol

Thanks for all the help guys. The OSIR hood looks really good, and the problems that the guy had are expected when having exposed CF. I already had to replace my CF hood on my M3 once.

curiouskyle16

Ready to race!
i just picked up a seibon cf hood and i love it... really well made

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
+1 for OSIR.
No issues with mine, like above or otherwise, and it has been on for 35K now