GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > R32 Forum - General Discussions

Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
bri-dog
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 Golf GTI MK6 5dr, DSG, CW
DSG clunk/thud noise

Ive noticed my car making a "clunk/thud" noise when the dsg shifts into 6th gear. Only happends when accelerating normal or even slow up to aproximately 50-60km/h. This is not happening when the dsg shifts through the other gears.

Anyone else having this with their cars? Posted this on another forum and a guy that had a new -08 had the same noise. Sometimes you can feel the "thud" too.

If something is wrong I do want to get it sorted while the car is under warranty.
bri-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer

Drives: 2011 135i
take your car to the dealer for them to check it out ASAP! "Clunk/Thud" should not be discussed with DSG in our cars.

"That car isn't just fast, it makes my brain slosh around in my skull... that's just not normal."
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
BU88A
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKV R32
Mine makes the same sound too shifting into 6th. Have reached 10000km now, no dramas.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
9Zone
Ready to race!

Drives: 07 Black MkV R32
My .:R too :(

I hate that noise..
9Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
BU88A
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKV R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Zone View Post
My .:R too :(

I hate that noise..
At least you know you're on 6th
Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
9Schnell
Euro-Elitist

Drives: like an a-hole.
There should not be a clunk or thud shifting into gears btw.

You will hear some chatter but should never be smooth operation 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 then clunk to 6.
2010 CC Lux, 2011 Tiguan S, 2009 Jetta S, 2008 R32, 2003 GTI VR6, 1998 Volvo S70 GLT, 1998 GTI 2.0L, 1965 Bug 2276cc
9Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
tWiStEd-tORqUe
Vdub

Drives: 2008 R32, Shadow Blue Metallic
Send a message via MSN to tWiStEd-tORqUe
i have that noise ,

dropped the car to the agent and after a week of investigation with Germany
thy agent said its normal Because i decided to upgrade the flywheel to fix the gear rattling Issue (More Info ) , u will only hear the noise if you go into 6th in the speed range of 40-60 km, and Germany is working on a software upgrade

in short , R32's which Wr Produced in Jan 2008 will have the "Thud Noise" bcoz Vw Germany Upgraded the Flywheel for the 2008 batch,

and R32's with a certain batch of Chassis number Will not have the "thud" nstd thy will have the Gear Rattling Problem unless the owner decided to fix the Gear Rattling issue
Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
xminusx
Banned

Drives: 2008 BM
Send a message via AIM to xminusx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tWiStEd-tORqUe View Post
i have that noise ,

dropped the car to the agent and after a week of investigation with Germany
thy agent said its normal Because i decided to upgrade the flywheel to fix the gear rattling Issue (More Info ) , u will only hear the noise if you go into 6th in the speed range of 40-60 km, and Germany is working on a software upgrade

in short , R32's which Wr Produced in Jan 2008 will have the "Thud Noise" bcoz Vw Germany Upgraded the Flywheel for the 2008 batch,

and R32's with a certain batch of Chassis number Will not have the "thud" nstd thy will have the Gear Rattling Problem unless the owner decided to fix the Gear Rattling issue

That sounds like like a load of BS. I would take it to another dealership for a second opinion. If it didnt make that noise when you drove it off the lot, why is it acceptable for it to make it now?

(btw, this coming from a guy whose mechatronic blew at 5k miles)
xminusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
tWiStEd-tORqUe
Vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by xminusx View Post
That sounds like like a load of BS. I would take it to another dealership for a second opinion. If it didnt make that noise when you drove it off the lot, why is it acceptable for it to make it now?

(btw, this coming from a guy whose mechatronic blew at 5k miles)
yes it didn't make that noise when i first drove it of from from the agent , nstd i had this loud Rattling noise* coming from my front , and the reason why i didn't hear the sound once i took the delivery its bcoz the car Engine Parts wr stiff and the car was in the break in period

thy fixed it then "Thud " sound came in , me and the garage manager in person test drove 2 different Rs ,one waz brand new 2008 production batch it it had the sound , the second R had 3500 Miles(DEC 2007 batch) on it had the Rattling nose but not the "Thud" sound ,

anyways if you want the Mechanical Explanation of the "thud" sound ill get it from the garage Manager once i pickup my .:R its in for Heldex Replacement

and btw m8 here in Bahrain we have only 1 agent for Vw ,

** Ps you will hear the Rattling noise from the Gearbox after 500 Miles
Old 07-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
xminusx
Banned

that sucks. We have VW dealers every 30 miles or so here.

Next step is Calling VW directly and explain the problem to them.. Clunking and rattling do not and will not ever be present in my car.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
bri-dog
Ready to race!

Thanks for the information tWiStEd-tORqUe! At least now I can sleep a bit better at night knowing my gearbox isn´t messed up (sort of), not to say I would rather not have that noise!

I had my flywheel replaced and I cannot really remember my car making the thud noise before. My car was produced Feb -07.

It seems we all just have to wait for a software upgrade to sort it out...it sure sounds nasty at times :(
Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
notkool59
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 08 DBP R32 #4739
my dsg makes a click noise when shifting gears in manual mode, you cant hear it on the inside but on the outside when i drive with the windows down and no music you can hear it if its quiet in the area. You also hear a click noise when going to a stop and when it shifts into first. please tell me this is normal......
notkool59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
V12
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2009 UG Golf .:R32
it feels normal, becuase i recently got my R too and its been doing that when it shifts between 1 and 2 in "D" going over speed bumps. you just have to know that DSG is probably whats makeing our cars supper at this moment, if any fualts were to happen to it.. whole car is worthless.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
notkool59
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 08 DBP R32 #4739
ok good lol thanks because i know you can hear a manual do that and the dsg is as close to a manual as it gets lol
notkool59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
kgw
NotAThing

Drives: 2006 A3 3.2 quattro S-Line
My 2006 A3 3.2 quattro makes what sounds like the tranny/engine taking out all the slack in the mount system when I get on it hard shifting manually. Slight noise, more of a feeling, as the full torque hits upon upshifting. Doesn't happen otherwise.
kgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
.:R #2734
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by notkool59 View Post
my dsg makes a click noise when shifting gears in manual mode, you cant hear it on the inside but on the outside when i drive with the windows down and no music you can hear it if its quiet in the area. You also hear a click noise when going to a stop and when it shifts into first. please tell me this is normal......

I have the same noise, and assume it is normal, especially when you think of the mechanics of the DSG tranny. I also notice it gets quieter after the car warms up.
.:R #2734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
tWiStEd-tORqUe
Vdub

Update ,,,

I made My dealers Scratch his head , now my .:R is doing 5700k i was getting used to that thud sound , so 3 days back i was like WTF,, the 6th gear Thud noise is completely gone ... called up chris(Garage Manager) told his he he was like hmmmmmmmm now thats weird, he asks me to drop by the day after , he test drove the car and scratched his Head ,, "im confused " he said , back @ his office he shoots this long email to : "Yenz" the guy from Germany, explaining ,

the next day ..

called me up and told me this shocker the next day " there is a slight possibility that we give you a Brand new .:R and ship ur current one to Germany for studies , coz thy ARE Scratching Heads
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #18
felix_r32
racecar

Drives: 08 R
Quote:
Update ,,,

I made My dealers Scratch his head , now my .:R is doing 5700k i was getting used to that thud sound , so 3 days back i was like WTF,, the 6th gear Thud noise is completely gone ... called up chris(Garage Manager) told his he he was like hmmmmmmmm now thats weird, he asks me to drop by the day after , he test drove the car and scratched his Head ,, "im confused " he said , back @ his office he shoots this long email to : "Yenz" the guy from Germany, explaining ,

the next day ..

called me up and told me this shocker the next day " there is a slight possibility that we give you a Brand new .:R and ship ur current one to Germany for studies , coz thy ARE Scratching Heads

That is sweet!!! They are going to replace your R simply because of some noise in DSG. Someone's R's engine blew here in the states and they wont replace his car
felix_r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
tWiStEd-tORqUe
Vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_r32 View Post
That is sweet!!! They are going to replace your R simply because of some noise in DSG. Someone's R's engine blew here in the states and they wont replace his car
Blew up ,,, who's engine blew up???
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
felix_r32
racecar

Drives: 08 R
Quote:
Blew up ,,, who's engine blew up???
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62422
felix_r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
bri-dog
Ready to race!

Twisted T: You don´t happend to have any e-mail conversations with the Germans saved? I´m planning to take my car to the dealers next week to have them check this out. Always good to have some facts when talking to them...I really don´t want to hear that it is "nothing" since your service rep. conversations suggests otherwise.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #22
xminusx
Banned

wow R32 owners are dense.