GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Mechatronic Bad

ChomperDog

I've got an 08' DSG GTI that has basically been shifting like crap since new. Rough shifts, some surging at moderate acceleration and just basically nowhere near "smooth". I complained about it at the 5k service and was basically told it was normal DSG. I re-complained at the 10k and told em' to keep it until they figured it out. After a week at the dealership my car has been pronounced sick with a bad DSG "Mechatronic". Anyone have any insight into this beast and what that part costs? Cost is just a curiosity as it's covered under warranty. Dealer also tells me that the part is "redlined" and availability is unknown at this time. Nice.

joshuamaze

Ready to race!
Car(s)
gti 08 / rabbit 08
wow that sucks i have no ideaon the cost but i know whqat it feel like i have been with out my brand new gti for almost 2 months

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
every MKV part is a pain in the ass to get. Most major stuff takes 3-4 months. When I got in a wreck ittook forever to get parts and less than a week to fix

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Quite unfortunate. Doubt it helps much, but consider yourself lucky that it went out while still under warranty (and before any mods, if that matters). Seems just about everything related to DSG, even routine maintenance, is quite expensive.

IIRC, the Mechatronic unit is the TCU or "electronic brain" of the gearbox. Controls the shift points and such.

ChomperDog

No issue as to warranty or not...it is covered. I'm just curious as to whether others have had similiar failures. The dealer's uncertainty on the part's availability bothers me also. The words "out of country" were mentioned but he wasn't sure when I talked to him today. No mods on this car and there won't be. I bought this to be my reliable economical practical daily driver to keep the miles off my primary toy.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
yes go to vortex and search for mechatronics...there are a lot of reported issues with this unit.

ChomperDog

Thanks for the tip. You are right, quite a few with DSG "Mechatronic" being diagnosed as the problem child for misbehaving DSG's... many in low mileage cars, several with identical symptoms to what I was experiencing.

xminusx

Banned
Car(s)
The Failboat.
I've got an 08' DSG GTI that has basically been shifting like crap since new. Rough shifts, some surging at moderate acceleration and just basically nowhere near "smooth". I complained about it at the 5k service and was basically told it was normal DSG. I re-complained at the 10k and told em' to keep it until they figured it out. After a week at the dealership my car has been pronounced sick with a bad DSG "Mechatronic". Anyone have any insight into this beast and what that part costs? Cost is just a curiosity as it's covered under warranty. Dealer also tells me that the part is "redlined" and availability is unknown at this time. Nice.

HAHAHAHA this was exactly what happened to me last week! They still have my car, but the new mechatronic in it, but need the stretch bolts to come in. If your dealer likes you, should take less than a week to get it in. the bolts on the other hand wont be in for anther 2 weeks.

Did you ask what causes the mechatronic to go bad?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The mechatronic control unit is a hybrid of electronic circuitry and hydraulic solenoids; as someone else mentioned, it is the "brain" of the DSG 'box. They're quite expensive as they are complex pieces of kit.

RedRobin

Going With The Flow....
Car(s)
Throbbin' Red VeeDub
....My Mechatronic Module failed at about 6,000 miles. Apparently VW have a policy that any DSG failure has to go back to Germany so they can study the failure - No new DSG parts are to be stocked by dealers.